Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1940's style
16-09-2005, 08:44 AM
1940's style

HELP !!!!!

Im going to an 'end of the war' doo on saturday evening (it was kinda sprung on me) and i would like to dress up in the style of the 40's.

I have looked on the internet, but im having real trouble seeing a 'typical' outfit. I think if i go for a suit it has to be cropped, tight with a pencil cut skirt, or quite a full skirt with the tight jacket. Then i would need to draw lines on the backs of my legs instead of stockings, and heels.

If its a dress, i think it would have to be clinched in the waist with a thin belt with a pretty neckline.

But what about accessories ? What hats did they wear ? I would need red lipstick wouldnt i, but what about the eyes. How did they wear their makeup ?

All help would be grately appreciated as im trawling the charity shops this lunchtime in the quest to find something.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2005, 09:26 AM
1940's style
Here you go Bonnie, here's a collection of ladies in 1940's stylee,

Take you pick:w00t:

[Image: dress.jpg]

[Image: 429.gif]
17-09-2005, 06:47 AM
1940's style
I'd go as the Landgirl with the spade so if people annoy you you can smash them over the head with it. :thumbsup:
17-09-2005, 09:15 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2005 09:16 AM by Dolores.)
1940's style
I'd go as a Mrs Mop ... I've always regretted that style going out of fashion before I was old enough to adopt it as mine. Those turbans also mean you don't have to worry about washing your hair Bonnie!

As an aside Bonnie ... do you ever go to parties that don't invovle dressing up! lol! not so long ago you were going as a hippy weren't you!

On a personal note I HATE FANCY DRESS parties! Yeh I know I'm a misery ... what's more ironic is that I have a fancy dress party shop literally just round the corner from me! ... now that IS ironic! (Alanis Morrisette take note!).

:smartie:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
19-09-2005, 09:30 AM
1940's style
Dolores Wrote:As an aside Bonnie ... do you ever go to parties that don't invovle dressing up! lol! not so long ago you were going as a hippy weren't you!

I hate fancy dress parties too - as i worry and stress about them.

Luckily this wasnt a fancy dress thingie. It was a celebration for the end of the war, and it said on the invite that you could go dressed up if you felt like it. I was just trying to make an effort. Mr.B didnt bother :glare:

I did go to a hippy party yeah, and that was one of the most embaressing nights of my life as only about 6 people out of 150 actually dressed up ...... and we got stared at in the street walking there - PLUS we turned up 2 hrs before the party started, so all these sweet old dears eatign their pies in the pub thought we were luney tunes :bag: :shocking:

19-09-2005, 09:43 AM
1940's style
So then Bonnie, where's the piccie of you in your 1940's dress?:w00t:

19-09-2005, 01:28 PM
1940's style
Oh no, i made a fool of myself posting the hippy ones .... i wont do it again :bag:

19-09-2005, 01:30 PM
1940's style
Bonnie, your are never a fool. (I'm gonna go back and have a look now, but I don't remember seeing any fool)

Go on, post some piccies:thumbsup:

19-09-2005, 01:34 PM
1940's style
Yeah go on - I want to see you with your headscarf and a fag hanging out of your mouth.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
19-09-2005, 01:37 PM
1940's style
Actually - i didnt go as any of the above. I went as a 'lady' in a nice pencil skirt, fitted jacket, furry stoat thing around my neck, seamed stockings, red nails and lips, and a weird genuine 1940's hat i picked up at an antiquey type shop.

Sorry to dissapoint :sad:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  So which style do you like? bridge 18 1,275 26-01-2006 01:02 PM
Last Post: Coastie