Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 munites silence for 9/11
08-09-2006, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2006 01:16 PM by Pandora.)

Will you be observing a two minute silence on 9/11? Do you think it's something the the whole nation should observe, or should it be down to the individual to decide for themselves?

I was chatting to the Head this morning about whether or not we should, as a school, have a 2 minute silence next week.

Our school is 60% muslim and she thought, politically, it would be simpler not to, but I'm sure some people will be upset if we don't.

I will observe it as a sign of respect for those who wish to observe it, if you see what I mean, although the concept of having 2 minutes to reflect isn't one that works particularly well for me. I think there's enough tv coverage about 9/11 around at the moment that there's plenty of opportunity for people to collect their thought in their own time, rather than need the guidance of a pre-ordained time.

Your thoughts please.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I think it's rather perplexing that the head teacher wants to avoid the two minute silence on the grounds of the muslim pupils.

However I'm not in favour of a silence for 9/11, full stop. Loads of bad things happen in the world, and I don't believe that the fifth anniversary of 9/11 should be any more important than, say, remembering the four million dead in DR Congo.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
08-09-2006, 03:33 PM
If they observe the 2 minute silence at my work then I'll stay quiet for it too, it'd be rude if I was the only person in my open-plan office gabbing while everyone else is quiet, or at the time of it if I'm somewhere that it is being observed then I will too......otherwise I won't bother.
08-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Difficult. Is it right to prevent people from observing silence to remember people killed in such a way? And is it right to use religion as some kind of excuse - the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not support the terrorist activities and were shocked at the attack.
08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
As you said Floops, all the coverage on TV gives you plenty of time for reflection, and that is what i have done. I have sat saddened and perplexed watching the TV screen. I have thought long and hard about the people who lost their lives, and the people caught up in the nightmare who had / have trouble adjusting to their lives now.

But i personally dont feel a need for a 2 minute silence. We dont have them for other disasters, natural or otherwise.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2006, 06:57 PM
floopy Wrote:Will you be observing a two minute silence on 9/11? Do you think it's something the the whole nation should observe, or should it be down to the individual to decide for themselves?

I was chatting to the Head this morning about whether or not we should, as a school, have a 2 minute silence next week.

Our school is 60% muslim and she thought, politically, it would be simpler not to, but I'm sure some people will be upset if we don't.

I will observe it as a sign of respect for those who wish to observe it, if you see what I mean, although the concept of having 2 minutes to reflect isn't one that works particularly well for me. I think there's enough tv coverage about 9/11 around at the moment that there's plenty of opportunity for people to collect their thought in their own time, rather than need the guidance of a pre-ordained time.

Your thoughts please.

It is possible that a large group of people meditating (praying?) about something together can have an effect on actual events.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
08-09-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't 'get' two-minute silences and the like.

While I respect the terrible grief that family and friends will have suffered, I also believe that it was no worse that that of a young wife and children whose husband/father won't be home tonight because of a ghastly road accident.

I've lost a number of people close to me whose deaths have had a more profound affect on me than that of strangers lost in 9/11, 7/7 etc so, no, I wouldn't observe a silence. I woudn't disruptively 'unobserve' it; I just believe these things are for those directly affected.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
09-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Fee For All Wrote:I don't 'get' two-minute silences and the like.

While I respect the terrible grief that family and friends will have suffered, I also believe that it was no worse that that of a young wife and children whose husband/father won't be home tonight because of a ghastly road accident.

There's a difference though, the 9/11 events had an impact on people globally.

09-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Fee For All Wrote:I don't 'get' two-minute silences and the like.

I've lost a number of people close to me whose deaths have had a more profound affect on me than that of strangers lost in 9/11, 7/7 etc so, no, I wouldn't observe a silence. I woudn't disruptively 'unobserve' it; I just believe these things are for those directly affected.
I agree with you here Fee.
Yes, 9/11 was horrible and my heart goes out to everyone who lost people close to them but I don't see the point in observing a 2 minute silence. We don't have a 2 minute silence for most tragedies that occur so why this one? It's not as if people haven't been thinking about/ praying for the victims since it happened anyway.
So no, I won't be actively doing it either. If others around me are, then obviously I won't disrespect that though.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2006, 07:52 AM
PJ Wrote:I don't see the point in observing a 2 minute silence.

I think it's done as a sign of solidarity against major acts of war and the resulting loss of life, as we do on Remembrance day.