Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 hour drinking ... are we responsible enough?
26-08-2005, 06:45 PM

So what do you think of the 24 hour drinking licences soon to come into force? OK obviously no bar will be open 24 hours a day, but there will probably be somewhere to drink for most of the day and night.

Are ministers and pub owners etc living in cloud cuckoo land if they think it will alter the drunken yob culture surrounding the current licencsing laws? Can we really be as sophisticated as our continental neighbours when it comes to alcohol?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Hell yeah!!

My liquor, my liver

:drinking:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2005, 06:54 PM
But what about the cost to the hospitals, the police enforcement, the cleaning up of vomit and blood, the unwanted pregnancies and the sexual disesases?

...and that's just me on a week night!!!! lol!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
26-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Dolores Wrote:But what about the cost to the hospitals, the police enforcement, the cleaning up of vomit and blood, the unwanted pregnancies and the sexual disesases?!

I forgot, there is nothing worse than working in A and E and being challenged by someone who is blind drunk, unsafe, risk to others never mind anything else.

I dont think it is our mentality (British/celtic) to be that healthy around drinking. Not sure why though.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
27-08-2005, 09:59 AM
My knee jerk reaction to this is that I'm not in favour. I automatically think that the longer people can drink, the longer they will drink & there will be the resultant violence, injuries etc. But surely, after a while it won't be like that. Surely eventually, drinking becomes boring. (Am I typing this?!) But honestly you can only drink for so long before either you fall down or the money runs out. Or am I being naive? I mean, there are no licencing laws in your home are there but not everyone drinks constantly from morning to night & they could do if they wanted to.

The other part of the argument that hasn't been discussed is the people who will have to work all the hours to provide the booze. I used to be a barmaid & believe me, the night is long enough what with clearing up & throwing out. An extension for a party or special occasion can be coped with as it is just occasionally but every night? I wonder if the pubs would be able to stay open so long after a while cos it would get hard to find people to work the hours.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
27-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Actually, the vast majority of pubs that have applied for additional licensing hours have only applied for an extension of an additional hour on Friday and Saturday nights, so instead of curing the Friday/Saturday night binge-drinking problem, the new licensing law has served only to extend the binge drinking sessions by an additional hour.

So instead of a rowdy rabble kicking off in town centres across the UK shortly after 11 on a Friday and Saturday night, a rowdy rabble with an extra hour's alcohol inside them will be kicking off in a bigger way just after midnight. Lovely.

The issue with binge-drinking, IMO, isn't the amount of time that people are abkle to purchase alcohol, but the fact that Friday and Saturday nights are the only two nights of the week that most people don't have to get up for work on the morning following.

Bollox to potplants
27-08-2005, 12:22 PM
We have had more or less 24 hour drinking up here for a while - on the whole I reckon it's a good thing - but the city centre is a nightmare in the early hours. Loads of drunken kids around (16 - 25ish)

Maybe they should restrict 25 hour drinking to those over 25:devil:

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
27-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Rob Wrote:but the city centre is a nightmare in the early hours. Loads of drunken kids around (16 - 25ish)
That's probably just Kooks and her friends after a night out on the razz :w00t:

As for my input, I echo Fee's sentiments! :wink2:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
27-08-2005, 04:26 PM
PJ Wrote:That's probably just Kooks and her friends after a night out on the razz :w00t:

Aye that would explain it Big Grin

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
27-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I agree with Floops that even extending the hours by an hour, this is giving people an hour extra to get even more paralytic. However, these people would do it whatever time the bars closed. If they closed at 10.00pm, they would be drunk by then. It's just the nature of many drinkers in this country. Perhaps if the drinking hours had not been so restrictive for so many years, we may be more like our continental cousins and enjoy alcohol rather than abuse it as badly as we do. And yes, we/they do cram a lot in on a Friday and Saturday because we as a nation work longer hours than most and therefore have less time to party.

Any increase/reduction in licensing hours is immaterial without other factors like working hours being taken into consideration. Our drink culture is fully formed and change will be slow coming.

For myself, I welcome an hour's increase, but I drink with people of similar ages who, although they do get drunk, are past the stage of having to get paralytic to have a good time. Things are only just getting going at 11.00pm and it's not always possible to go on somewhere else.