Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30th Anniversary Of The Princes Youth Trust Concert.
22-05-2006, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2006 04:28 PM by Northern angel.)

Hello survivors,

Well I arrived home safe, tired and irritable late last night. I do confess I did log in to see what masses of conversations I have missed, and hope in the week ahead to catch up a bit. I did do something important last night a thread dedicated to Bonsai for her birthday tomorrow the 23rd, in so doing I hoped no one would mind the wait in reporting back on this monumental concert I attended live.

The princes youth trust 30th birthday party and anniversary concert 20th May 2006.

This was the first time Tower Hill/Tower of London - had ever had an open air concert, and it looks like this concert will be the start of many. Robbie Williams is going to do one here soon, plus a whole host of other modern pop artists.

I arrived early at 6.15 and my first thought was how magnificent the staging looked all set with loads of mega decibel creating amplification with its arched, perspex cover over a tiered staging area, lights, lights, lights, orchestral level and almost crowd level performance area. ITV were there to record the event in progress and to broadcast it at the same time to the nation. I don't know how many of you watched this Saturday evening but if you had the choice between the 30th birthday princes trust anniversary concert and the Eurovision contest - I hope you chose the First.

13 acts had been booked for this 3 hour plus concert and all of them appeared.

This concert was monumental as on one stage appeared artists from the veterans of pop to the representatives of pop culture today. Like it or loathe it the line was definitely impressive.

THE ARTISTS WERE AS FOLLOWS.
  1. The Bee Gees at least the two remaining Bee Gees.
  2. Annie Lennox simply the Queen of the night.
  3. Mc Fly
  4. Embrace
  5. The Sugar Babes
  6. Will Young
  7. Ozzie Ozbourne
  8. Ronan Keating with Kate Rusby.
  9. Pink
  10. Lionel Richie, king of the night.
    • Fill ins for the night in between moving equipment came Natasha Hamilton who was simply horrendous live and a group of singers from one of Londons many congregational churches. The latter had a very good overall sound but on the night one or two of there soloists struggled with the PA. Sadly PA over riding voices in performance.

So to the artists of the night, it is well said and known that the veterans of pop have become such because they not only sound good live they sound the same in a studio, and on a recording. I suppose the young generation in defence may say well they have had years of practice in getting it right. In all honesty though, I personally feel that these younger artists won't see a similar time period in the limelight, not just because they aren't good enough to, but because of how fickle and fragmented the music business has become.

The best performances of the night came from The Bee Gees, Annie Lenox, Will Young, Ronan Keating and Kate rusby, and last but certainly not least Lionel Richie. Ozzie was mad as a hatter, although is it possible he was back on something? Who knows? For the rest, I was not impressed with there live performances at all, but then in watching a repeat on television the next day the engineers who had digitally re-balnced the sound were kind.

As the night wore on the setting of this concert became luminous set against all those wonderful colourful lights and strobe lighting effects in addition to the natural aurora of the night sky. At the end after Prince Charles Camilla, and the young princes came on stage to make a complimentary or statutory appearance, and to express his thanks to the audience and supporters of the youth trust over the last 30 years, there was one big final bang. Fireworks. A few fireworks to end a spectacular concert party.

I did enjoy myself, although I must say if anyone has spotted me on the television or thought they might have, you would probably be thinking who is that nutter at the end banging her shoes with an empty carlsberg bottle. Yes you've guessed it I tried desperately not to become a Northern lager lout, but having listened to the ever bubbly Cat Deeley as host and Ant and Dec in one of many short interviews shown, I was driven to it. No, no, no please I was not crowd surfing or drunk. I was in physical agony with my aching feet, after 4 hours of standing on them, wearing a silly posh suit and stillettos because of the arrogance of one MR M, who blasted well needs a lesson in pop fashion. Jeans, T shirt, trainers and rain mac.

When I have discovered the science of my digital camera, which tells me I have taken 33 pics, but as yet can't find them - I will post up as many as possible even those which may resemble exhibits from the gallery of how not to take photos, such as half a head and body, after having bought the camera the day before.

Love to you all.

Maureen
      Northern angel. :wub: :wub: :wub:

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Northern angel Wrote:Hello survivors,...Ozzie was mad as a hatter, although is it possible he was back on something? Who knows? For the rest, I was not impressed with there live performances at all, ...Love to you all.

Maureen
Northern angel. :wub: :wub: :wub:

I walked passed The Tower after leaving work, roughly 8.15pm - who would've been on NA? I tried to discern the artist through the wind and rain but really couldn't make out who was playing (you must have got a tad wet surely?). The lights looked good tho. Also - all the fences around had been covered over to thwart the uninvited - v unfair.
Note: A baffling observation. All the crowd that were milling around outside smelled really pleasant. Lots of perfume/aftershave was wafting about. Enough for me to mentaly note to self: "Mm. All you people smell really nice around here" . . . .

Re: Ozzy. Having seen the veritable dark one many times in my teen years - that was when he was Ozzy Osbourne "Prince of Darkness", purveyor of astonishingly good rock and before he became Sharon's Homer-like hubby. His stage presence has always beeen the same. A Clapping, jumping loon with an idiot grin. God how i revered him. Marvelous he was. Drugs or no drugs. (NB his guitarist on his first two solo albums - Randy Rhoads (RIP) - was one of the main reasons i started playing the guitar. Him and Tony Iommi) Now I do find it really really bizarre that one of my teen rock god heroes (and every mothers nightmare) has become a national treasure. Really really odd. It has unbalanced the memory of my faux-rebelious early yoof. I had posters on my wall and everything. I think I even tattoed "Ozzy" onto my arm with a scalpel . . .
23-05-2006, 10:19 AM
janus abimbi Wrote:I had posters on my wall and everything. I think I even tattoed "Ozzy" onto my arm with a scalpel . . .

:shocking: Is it still there? Can we have a photo please?
23-05-2006, 10:58 AM
janus abimbi Wrote:I walked passed The Tower after leaving work, roughly 8.15pm - who would've been on NA? I tried to discern the artist through the wind and rain but really couldn't make out who was playing (you must have got a tad wet surely?). The lights looked good tho. Also - all the fences around had been covered over to thwart the uninvited - v unfair.
Note: A baffling observation. All the crowd that were milling around outside smelled really pleasant. Lots of perfume/aftershave was wafting about. Enough for me to mentaly note to self: "Mm. All you people smell really nice around here" . . . .

Re: Ozzy. Having seen the veritable dark one many times in my teen years - that was when he was Ozzy Osbourne "Prince of Darkness", purveyor of astonishingly good rock and before he became Sharon's Homer-like hubby. His stage presence has always beeen the same. A Clapping, jumping loon with an idiot grin. God how i revered him. Marvelous he was. Drugs or no drugs. (NB his guitarist on his first two solo albums - Randy Rhoads (RIP) - was one of the main reasons i started playing the guitar. Him and Tony Iommi) Now I do find it really really bizarre that one of my teen rock god heroes (and every mothers nightmare) has become a national treasure. Really really odd. It has unbalanced the memory of my faux-rebelious early yoof. I had posters on my wall and everything. I think I even tattoed "Ozzy" onto my arm with a scalpel . . .

Hello JAnus,

I think theres a strong likely hood that this would have been Natasha Hamilton attempting to sing Son of a Preacher man, or Mcfly finishing off. The lights were fab,the concert was a success.

Maureen Northern angel.

23-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Hello again JAnus,

Recent edit hasn't taken. So here goes.

There was a divided dress code, some were dressed for a concert inappropriately others wore Tshirt Jeans and a jacket. The rain that was expected surprisingly held off after a number of tries. That was pleasing to Mr M who did not relish wearing a rain mac on top of his suit.

The lighting become more obvious as the night drew in, the colours and strobe lighting effects were brilliant.

The concert was a success. Ozzie did appear on stage after an impromtu entrance. He was a bit naughty I'd say voicing a football chant over a Princes Youth Trust interview which was a fill in. He also appeared with an equally mad head banging team of rockers which set the crowd roaring. I don't know who the guitarist was but he had extremely long blondish hair that was loose and unkempt. The days of the hairy are not over.

The only disappointment was the lack of a programme for the event, which at best could have been a fund raiser.

Still I enjoyed it along with 4,000 others standing in the moat. There were a few other appearances, Barry Humphries in character as Dame Edna Everidge, David Blaine. Still because I was accused of behaving in an unlady like fashion by a) taking my shoes off and B) by using them to clap with to the music, I did promise Mr M I'd walk all over him at the earliest opportunity. Ha ha.

I had great fun.

Maureen
Northern angel.:applause: :applause:

24-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Patsy Wrote::shocking: Is it still there? Can we have a photo please?
Sorry patsy - i had to take down when i moved out.
Pretty good ones tho.
Came out a of a "Sounds Special" Ozzy Edition. . . . . circa 1984ish
:w00t: :w00t:
hoo hoo!
24-05-2006, 04:52 PM
No the tattoo, you wombat.
24-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Patsy Wrote:No the tattoo, you wombat.

What!! You're not interested in seeing a rare poster of Bernie Tormé playing one of the three shows he did with Ozzy after Randy died!!!

I knew what you meant.

It washed off (well - once the scabs had healed it did)

Do you have a tattoo?

I want one. Even more now that I am old and, er, sensible.

But what should I have?

:artist:
24-05-2006, 08:28 PM
As you're older and sensible, you could have one of Mel Tormé Smile

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
24-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I am sure Patsy wouldn't object to you having her face tattooed on your chest...

YOur girlfriend might though:sleep:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Michael Jackson - Thriller 25th Anniversary Review The Curmudgeon 3 1,154 12-05-2008 07:49 AM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Delay And Panic 30th Anniversary Princes Youth Trust Photos. Northern angel 2 795 26-05-2006 03:17 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Could You Organise A Royal Music Concert? Northern angel 1 952 13-12-2005 12:43 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Who have you seen in Concert? ils 105 10,013 04-07-2005 11:13 AM
Last Post: Tigereye