Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60 years since the Liberation of Auschwitz
27-01-2005, 11:50 PM

I watched the commemerations on the news today, to see the survivors of what must have been the most insufferable, inhumane act of the 20th century, standing there old and vulnerable in their aged concentration camp hats just made me want to cry.

I have watched some of the programs about the camp the last couple of days and i have actually had to turn over, watching the torture, humilation, pain and suffering the jews had to endure just makes me physically sick.

How this act happend in the 20th century only 60 years ago is incomprehensible to me.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>&quot;Work is the curse of the drinking classes&quot;</span></span>
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2005, 12:02 PM
The sad reality of this is that acts like this still go on today in Africa, Iraq, there was the horror in former Yugoslavia. The Beslen disaster was caused through a certain group of humans being sent away. Maybe not on the same scale as the concentration camp, but the horror and the loss of innocent lives is the still there.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
28-01-2005, 08:55 PM
60 years seems a lifetime away doesn't it?

There is a danger that a few years on there will be no 'survivors' left to tell the tale.
To see people on the tv trying so hard not to break down and cry just shows how terrible it must have been.
60 years later and it still has that affect.
With technology as it is now can we still make sure that it will not happen again?
Unfortunately not - we just see/hear about it sooner.
Hear it, read it, but don't ever forget.
Find all posts by this user
29-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Just as interesting is to hear the tales of the Germans who took part in this horror. There's not many of them left either, and even less who would care to be filmed or quoted. They don't look or sound different from anyone else who survived WWII. There's little to separate them on the surface from any sweet old Grandad. The impression I get from these men is not one of evil to the core, of inhumanity or lack of guilt.

You've got to remember this wasn't a case of one minute being an upstanding human being who would never consider harming another to the next minutes gassing Jews. This was a drip drip process that slowly eroded sensitivity. There was never one big step to mass slaughter, just lots of little ones which didn't take a great shift in perspective to carry out.

No one will ever condone what happened, but the point is Hitler's followers weren't so different from you or I. It's up to us to make sure we never let this happen again.
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
When i lived across in Germany my dad took me to Bergen Belsen. I remember him saying that he did't care if I wanted to go or not he was taking me as it was his duty as my father to make sure I understood what humans can do to one another. I wanted to go anyway.

It was a really warm sunny day with birds twittering in the woods. We walked inside the camp gate and it went freezing cold, a cold I just can't explain. From taking that one step through the gate the sound of the birds just disapeared.

The worst bit is, humans around the world are still doing it to one another.
11-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Becks Wrote:The worst bit is, humans around the world are still doing it to one another.

So true Becks, I read about the film Hotel Rwanda starring Don Cheadle and it is estimated that about 800,000 Rwandas were killed during the war there and the Western World didn't really do much about.

I watched the programme on Tuesday night about Auswitz and it is quite unbelievable that death was carried out in such a regimented fashion.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
18-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Bella Wrote:So true Becks, I read about the film Hotel Rwanda starring Don Cheadle and it is estimated that about 800,000 Rwandas were killed during the war there and the Western World didn't really do much about.

I watched the programme on Tuesday night about Auswitz and it is quite unbelievable that death was carried out in such a regimented fashion.

I'm afraid its aload of :pooh: when they stand there and say we will make sure that these peoples did not die in vain. We are only interested if it effects our interests. The fact that we were responsible up until 50 odd years ago for most of the countries that are struggling and commiting genocide seems to be forgotten about. O well if america gets its way they will soon all become american colonies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Best Views of a Lunar Eclipse for years Pandora 7 1,694 06-03-2007 06:53 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Is This Possible After 17 years? Seabreeze 2 748 16-05-2006 04:49 PM
Last Post: Northern angel