Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Standing Testament To Nature And Time.
02-12-2005, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2005 04:25 PM by Northern angel.)

Hello survivors

This week has been my busiest yet, there is just not enough hours in the day. It has also been a sad week, and I am about to share some of it with you. I do make one promise I will try not to write an absolute epic. However, I feel I must tell you that the subject I am about to cover, I have tried to start a thread on at least five times this week already. It is one I feel very strong about and there are aspects of ageing, enhancements etc plus a social backlash in society as a whole. Just in case some of you have found me flippant in these areas, this is a rather more serious and close encounter with such matters.

Today, I am going to visit an old lady of 95. She has grey hair that is permed and well trimmed, she has beautiful smooth skin and very few wrinkles, her nails are not cracked or ridged. She swears that if she should ever lose the use of her legs she will go out in a wheel barrow. but on my last visit she tells me - she was shocked to hear that her home was being sold, to pay for her care. She thought it would come in handy for her retirement. Today, I would have liked to have taken in a few little bits and pieces, but my cousin tells me, she doesn't need any clutter especially since she can't see it. This was her only area of essential surgery and the cataract op failed her. she would never dream of having any cosmetic enhancements, they are simply too expensive, not necessary, and false. In addition to this prices vary so drastically its obvious its just a money making con.

This week I have occassionally felt awful, that here I am clearing out a persons history through her belongings - for in her 95 years she has seen far more than I. She has lived through some of the worlds most dissastrous historically recorded events and survived, yet she still has a smile for me and a cheeky laugh when recalling her vivid memories of the past.

Whenever, I visit - I always take in her favourite food a red salmon sarnie, Mona loves her food but she has never been anything bigger than a size 14, but last week she also told me her stomach was getting to big, to which I responded 'join the club'.For my sins and to assist in getting rid of the calories I was taken for a daily tour around the home and its grounds. In this she was proud and as always very smart, even though she has never bought a beanpole outfit in her life. The fashion industry has never captured her, she always been a stylist to herself. A very natural woman.

This week, I have also found myself asking. Will I live to her age? Will I stay as fit? Will I stay as healthy? Will I look as good as she who must be a standing testament to nature, time - having looked after herself the only way she knows how. Without the gimmicks pushed in modern society as the way to eat, the way to dress, the way to change ones body via enhancement surgery.

What about who we really are?
Are you still you or have you become a construction?
I am still me and I hopefully won't change much in the years, (if I am lucky) ahead.

Maureen
Northern angel
:wub: Be good to yourself, enjoy life in all its beauty - it is fragile and needs your care love and attention.

To your own self be true, and at one with nature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2005, 05:06 PM
What a nice post she sounds like a lovely person. I doubt we will be as interesting in our old age as they lived through so much more. I am still myself apart from a bit of hair colour and unlikely to go down the route of cosmetic surgery.
02-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Maureen, Mona rocks!! What a lovely description of her, and what a fine testament to a lady of her age - God I wish I didn't have wrinkles or ridged finger nails and I am a mere 42!!!

If I wasn't a construction I would hide away happily eating homemade popcorn and drinking wine!! But I am, I dye my hair, I wear make up and fashionable clothes [well IMO anyway]. I buy things that claim to rejuvenate youth, I am vain to the n'th degree, and I shave my legs now and again.

I don't know any other way to be quite honest??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
mazwad Wrote:What a nice post she sounds like a lovely person. I doubt we will be as interesting in our old age as they lived through so much more. I am still myself apart from a bit of hair colour and unlikely to go down the route of cosmetic surgery.

Hi Mazwad

Enjoying your christmas spirits yet?

Mona is lovely. She was very funny today taking the michael out of some of the other residents in her residential home. I think she decided it was time for some entertainment, and I'm going to hand it to her she was definitely naughty but you know what , I and all the other visitors today found it hysterical. so much so that my sides are still aching from laughter.

Amazing she I hope will get to 100, just to annoy the closer members of the family.

Maureen
Northern angel
02-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Flip Wrote:Maureen, Mona rocks!! What a lovely description of her, and what a fine testament to a lady of her age - God I wish I didn't have wrinkles or ridged finger nails and I am a mere 42!!!

If I wasn't a construction I would hide away happily eating homemade popcorn and drinking wine!! But I am, I dye my hair, I wear make up and fashionable clothes [well IMO anyway]. I buy things that claim to rejuvenate youth, I am vain to the n'th degree, and I shave my legs now and again.

I don't know any other way to be quite honest??

Hi flip

Flip you aren't a construction, these practices you have are merely part of your personal toilette. I believe that's what the victorians would have called it or words to similar effect. The best way of rejuvenating youth is to think youthfull. (Mona's sadness at the selling of her home - useful in her retirement / Mona retired 30 years ago. But has never seen herself as the retiring type she would party and dance all night, making bacon sarnies at two or three in the morning.)

Being out in the wilds of Northumberland is very good for you healthwise, although socially you may feel a bit left out now and then, especially if the predicted winter that is coming cuts off the roads.Mona's wheelbarrow could become a sledge.

On the subject of vanity, I find it rather amusing watching Mona still powdering her nose puting on a bit of lippy at 95. But she looks great with or without.The answer to dry cracked ridged finger nails and painful wicklows, is not an expensive manicure at 25 or 30 quid (this reduces the amount of money in your pocket in addition to filing off the top oily layer of nail creating a thinner nail liable to crack ), or false nails , but the old fashioned excessive use of vaseline, atrixo, or nivea.

Mind, I will say this. I shave my legs once or twice a week, I like them to feel really smooth. But if I should leave them, I think I'd become to hairy. So we all have a vain streak somewhere.

Lovely hearing from you flip.

Maureen
Northern angel
21-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Hello Flip, Mazwad and survivors,

Just a little update on our Mona.

Yesterday, I was partly responsible for some of the party spirits etc the residents of the home were in. I had bought several bottles of sweet and dry sherry, provided the entertainment, I did a bit a bit of singing for them and when I had finished - I put on a Mary Christmas outfit and took round my sack of christmas stockings full of little goodies. All 45 of the residents had a lovely time and even the staff engaged hysterically in the spirit of a christmas party. I'd never seen so many visitors either, its such a shame they don't call more often.

I'll be doing a few more over the next 10 days, but you know I thought why should all the effort be made just during the festive season, the rest of the year they all sit round a room staring blankly at each other as they have nothing to do.

Meanwhile, I hope you have a lovely time yourselves and that the season is kind to you.

Maureen
northern angel
21-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I think what you did yesterday was brilliant Maureen. Well done for bringing some entertainment into their lives. Im sure they all had a brilliant time.

I often think of the elderly at this time of year .... well, all year around really, but more so at Christmas. My Grandma is 90 and still going strong, and she lives in sheltered housing with loads of her friends, and i hope to god when im 90 someone will look after me, and i will end my day with laughter and dignity.

I went on the Help the Aged website a few weeks ago now to see if their was anything i could do. To be honest, my perfect role would of been as a visitor or 'buddy' i think they called them. I would gladly pop around to see someone in their home daily, make them a cup of tea and take them a slice of cake and have a chat. But unfortunately in my area noone needed a 'buddy' which i find hard to believe.

I was watching the local news a while back, when we all had the cold snap - and it profiled a few elderly people who literally speak with nobody for weeks. They were cold, didnt have any family who could visit, and they were lonely. You know - i actually cried ..... what a horrid end to a life.

So thats why i wanted to be a 'buddy' - but no one wanted me.

Well done Maureen, i admire you.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
21-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Maureen what a nice person you are. We need more people like you! Smile

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
21-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Hello Bonsai,

Someone does love you, your family, your close friends and i don't know for sure but if you have a pet cat, dog, rabbit they too will adore you.

In fact I am certain that someone not only loves you but also wants you for who you are.

With reference to help the aged, did you know that there are voluntary hospital visitors schemes you can join, so someone somewhere can benefit from seeing a cheerful face particularly at christmas.

I am taking a group of children carol singing Saturday and if you were here you would have been most welcome. My guitar is in good order and the childrens wards are waiting and already prepared with carol sheets for our arrival.

I hope you have a lovely time, and if things don't work out one year, they just may next, when you've the given yourself time to get organised.

Good luck and god bless you.

Maureen
northern angel
21-12-2005, 07:46 PM
PJ Wrote:Maureen what a nice person you are. We need more people like you! Smile

Hello Pj,

I can be completely mad, but whatever I do I attack head on - even if I'm comletely wrong and way off beam.

I don't always hide my strongest thoughts or views and I sometimes think afterwards, have I done the right thing. Than I'll tell myself of course you have, you have an open countenance and you are an open book, that the sad and happy experiences of life have been written in.

May you and yours have a great time at christmas.

Maureen
Northern angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to release Ronnie Biggs or not? Seabreeze 12 2,004 26-08-2007 12:05 AM
Last Post: Normal1
  Do you have to get drunk to have a good time? Dolores 68 6,866 08-06-2007 07:40 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Standing your ground. Dolores 45 2,763 06-09-2006 12:32 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Time Fees for the care of the elderly were sorted out. Northern angel 15 1,774 20-07-2006 12:05 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  I'm too busy/havent got time/ sooo tired IsLe Of WeAtHeR 46 3,963 22-09-2005 06:45 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Plan to cut term-time holidays Eternity 10 1,389 18-09-2005 04:21 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Dodi and Di .. is it time Al Fayed let go? Dolores 16 2,000 28-08-2005 07:27 PM
Last Post: karenh
  What time is it on the moon? floopy 55 3,563 31-05-2005 01:29 PM
Last Post: Becks
  Time Travel Cockney 53 4,042 23-03-2005 04:17 PM
Last Post: Cockney