Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sad tale of an elderly Irishman dying in his bed.
27-09-2005, 07:50 PM

While suffering the agonies of impending death, he suddenly smelled the aroma of his favourite cheese scones wafting up the stairs. He gathered his remaining strength, and lifted himself from the bed.

Leaning against the wall, he slowly made his way out of the bedroom,and with even greater effort, gripping the railing with both hands, he crawled downstairs. With laboured breath, he leaned against the doorframe,
gazing into the kitchen.

Were it not for death's agony, he would have thought himself already in heaven, for there, spread out upon waxed paper on the kitchen table were dozens of his favourite cheese scones. Was it heaven? Or was it one final act of heroic love from his devoted Irish wife of sixty years, seeing to it that he left this world a happy man?

Mustering one great final effort, he threw himself towards the table,landing on his knees in a rumpled posture. His parched lips parted,he could almost taste the cheese scone before it was in his mouth, seemingly bringing him back to life. The aged and withered hand trembled on its way to the nearest scone at the edge of the table, when his hand was suddenly smacked with a spatula by his wife . . . . . . .

"Eff Off!!" she said, "They're for the funeral."

A little joke I nicked from the Newsnight website ... made me laugh!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Dolores Wrote:A little joke I nicked from the Newsnight website ... made me laugh!

Excellent [Image: grinning-smiley-005.gif]

but

The Newsnight website has jokes??? [Image: speechless-smiley-003.gif]

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
28-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Rob Wrote:Excellent [Image: grinning-smiley-005.gif]

but

The Newsnight website has jokes??? [Image: speechless-smiley-003.gif]

I get daily newsletters via email from Newsnight to say what's on the programme that evening. When Gavin Estler presents it he always puts in a joke! Jeremy Paxman never does! But I suspect he laughs at Gavin's!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman Seabreeze 4 727 05-08-2006 12:08 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  A little tale to make you smile Dolores 6 1,020 29-09-2005 08:57 PM
Last Post: Eternity