Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acupuncture
10-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Acupuncture

I'm seeing an Osteopath right now as my back and neck are really in a bad way. I am constantly in a lot of pain and some of the work the Osteopath has done, has cleared my upper back quite a bit. I am still really suffering with my neck though. My Osteopath mentioned yesterday that she would like me to see an Acupuncturist to clear some of the inflammation in my neck.

I'm really quite sceptical about acupuncture and was wondering if any of you had ever had this treatment, or know anything about it? Does it actually work or is it a case of mind of matter?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Acupuncture
I've had accupuncture for my back problems. I found it seemed to work for a couple of days but not long term - but then after the good old NHS spent money on The Back Program (an intensive exercise thingy), Hydrotherapy, Accupuncture, Osteopathy and loads of other things that didn't work, they finally did an MRI scan and told me I had compression in the lower vertebra and they couldn't do anything about it.

I use a TENS machine when I have bad flare ups. Otherwise it's a case of put up and shut up.

It's worth a try though and different people will get different results, depending what the underlying problem is I think.
10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Acupuncture
I know a couple people that have tried it, for some it worked, others it did'nt. Its like anything, it will depend on the person receiving treatment and the skill of the person giving the treatment.

I used to be sceptical of 'alternative therapies' but then I worked in a mental health hospital and realised we don't know everything, in fact our knowledge of how the body works is still very limited. I think western practice relies heavly on drugs, eastern looks at the whole person. The best alternative is for east to meet west, which is starting to happen in some fields.

I would get a referral to a good acupunturaist - whats the worst that can happen?
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Acupuncture
Acupunture is really very good for back pain - but the results will only last for a very short time.

Rather than an Osteopath I find tht a Chiropractor is far more effective, I use a McTimony Chiropractor - they use careful and minute, painless manipulation - for two days you are convinced that you've been conned - then on the third day!! (Doesn't that remind you of something?)

What I have realised over the years is that for full benefit I must visit my Chirpioractor at least once every six months whether I need to or not - just to get pulled back into the right position. Everyday life, work, sitting, gardening, etc., puts steady strains on your skeleton - it needs to be put right every so often.

Look in Yellow Pages under Chiropractors, the McTimony group usually have a separate listing for their people.
10-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Acupuncture
be careful Tigger! My work colleague suffers from firbromyalgia and has recently started going for acupuncture, it affected her in quite a peculiar way, she was very giddy and giggly and then suddenly had a come down and was very depressed, this only lasted about six hours but it did un-nerve her slightly! Apparently it does affect some people like this some times. Her next session she was fine afterwards.

My dad had acupuncture cos he suffers from continual headaches and he felt it did him some good although like Critique said the effects weren't long term, once he stopped going eventually the nagging headaches came back.

Good luck to you Tigger ... back pain (I mean real back pain) must be ... well ...must be a pain!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
10-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Acupuncture
I think with most things - as others have said - alternative therapies are an individual choice and what works for some does not for others.

I saw a chiroprecter for about 5 years, moved onto an oesteopath, have had cortisone injections, worn back braces, spent 4 months in re-hab, taken homeopathic remedies, had acupuncture, attended a pain clinic, taken far too many analgesics over prolonged periods - and now I just manage it myself, like I say with a TENS and gentle walking excercise.

I think you have to explore all avenues - then you can make an informed judgement about what suits you and your condition best. Good Luck Tiggs - back pain is abissmal - innit??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

10-05-2005, 11:23 PM
Acupuncture
I have no experience of it at all Tiggs, so I can't give you any advice but I just wanted to say....

I hope you find something that helps to control your pain, soon :hug: Heart
11-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Acupuncture
Darn! I was hoping at least one of you guys would offer me free massages for a year! :glare: Some friends! :laugh:

Yes, back pain is a pain! It affects my life in that it generally leads to migraines for me, which is turning into once or twice a week. Which is interrupting everything as I have to go to bed. I guess I am at the stage where I am willing to try anything, so although I am quite nervous about it, as some of you said, it can't hurt.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."