Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed from peeps on the South Coast!
31-07-2005, 04:28 PM

As you know Mr B's job is being relocated to Southampton and having at first dismissed the whole relocation thingy, there might be a chance that we might just do it! We really have to look at all options and we need to find out more about Southampton just in case we do decide to move and then we are not running around at the last minute trying to get all the information.

Mr B's Head Office is in Southampton, so we would be looking for a nice area in or around Southampton, that has good schools. I have looked up the Up My Street website but am a bit clueless as to where to start. The good thing is that the average house prices are a little less than Edinburgh but can someone tell me the difference between freehold and leasehold, we don't have that sort of thing in Scotland. We would probably rent to begin with, so as to get a feel for the area but would prefer to buy within the area that we would be renting as that is where Katie would be schooling. It would be bad enough moving her from one school but really would not want to move schools again once we were there.

I don't know anything about the outskirts of Southampton, but would obviously be looking for a nice area.

Mr B will be working down there from end of Sept until December, so he will...when he can... check out a few places and also get info from his workmates.

There is a bit of me feels really sick about moving from Edinburgh and another feels a bit excited. To be honest, if we had the choice we would love to stay here but the job prospects for Mr B is pretty slim.

We have not definitely said yes, but as I said we have to keep our options open and if can get as much info as we can about the place, it may help us in our final decision.

Ta very muckle!

xx :thumbsup:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Aren't you getting relocation assistance? I would ask the HR department if they have any info.

It's yonks since I bought in Scotland, so I can't really remember. This may help though.

Blink's a lawyer isn't he? He may be able to advise.

It's exciting moving (and the weather's better down here...)

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
31-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Oh Bella - afraid I can't help much. I don't really know Southampton much. I do know it has got a lovely Marina - but like all places with lovely marina's I'd bet its probably really pricey on the waterfront!

I'v e vaguely heard that Southampton is nice, but like all areas it probably has its nice bit and its scuzzy bits. Its not a City though - its a coastal town with lots of rural villages around its outskirts. Some of them are very picturesque. If I were you, I'd get the Bella fmily down to Southampton for a long weekend, travel around a bit and get a fell for what you think you might like.

But......I would say that you shouldn't worry. If you are planning to rent for a while, then nothing is cast in stone. If I were you, Id find a couple of areas that I like and be prepared to rent in one of them for 6 months, with the idea that I'd do a more serious anf formal reconnaissance once in-situ.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
31-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Bella the only bit I can help you with is the Freehold and Leashold bit.

Freehold is when you actually own the ground your house is on, so you know my house? That is freehold.

Leasehold is more likely to be an apartment or a flat - but not exclusively. It is when there is a nominal groundrent [like 1p per annum] and you buy the leasehold property like a normal sale - but the lease has a certain amount of time on it.

For eg. there is a house near me, we would dearly love to buy it when it comes up for sale. It will be the normal price [although I suspect a little cheaper] because the lease only lasts till 2070. The owners pay a nominal ground rent to The National Trust. And in 2070 the Trust will either have to buy the house from its owners at that time for the current market value OR extend the terms of the lease. In effect there is not a huge amount of difference.

I hope that clears that up a little bit for you?

Big Grin

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

31-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm confuddled now!

Isn't leasehold when you don't buy the property itself, but in effect buy the right to use it - sort of like all the rental in advance for the duration of the lease, with the right to sell on, or bequeath the lease?

Isn't there also the possibility of restrictions over what you can and can't do to the property ie alterations, or running a business from it, depending on the terms?

[SIZE=3]

[/url]
[/SIZE]
31-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Isn't leasehold when you don't buy the property itself, but in effect buy the right to use it - sort of like all the rental in advance for the duration of the lease, with the right to sell on, or bequeath the lease?

Isn't there also the possibility of restrictions over what you can and can't do to the property ie alterations, or running a business from it, depending on the terms?

Yes Fee, you are right. Here's a link explaining Leasehold properties
31-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks ils. It's not that easy for us Scots to understand :bag:

[SIZE=3]

[/url]
[/SIZE]
31-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I know there's a crap football team there Big Grin (j/k any southampton fans!)

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
31-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Although live on the South Coast only about 35 miles from Southampton I have only visited it twice. Once was for shopping and the second time just last week visiting someone in hospital. So I am not much help to you but thought I had better answer in case you wondered why us South Coasties hadn't.

Coastie and Dol live much closer so they might have a better idea of what it is like and of course you would only be down the road from them.
31-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Thanks ils. It's not that easy for us Scots to understand :bag:

You can say that again Fee! It's all a bit gobbldy-gook to me but I am sure it will become clear once I let Mr B have a read over it and then he can explain in lay-man's terms to a rather confused me!

Quote:Coastie and Dol live much closer so they might have a better idea of what it is like and of course you would only be down the road from them.

:w00t: :ohmy:

Thanks for the links Fee & ILS, it may not happen as we really are just at the thinking about it stage and yes, Fee HR probably will give relocation assistance, in fact they have been not bad on the whole. Mr B has been invited down for a couple of department nights out, all expenses paid and we can have time down as a family to have a look around, but I thought since there are quite a few Southies on the board, I could get recommendations from the horse's mouth about what's hot and what's not.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chocolate Fountain - Help Needed! Bella 6 919 16-11-2006 04:09 PM
Last Post: Bonsai
  ebay selling advice please survivorfan 10 3,653 13-11-2006 02:58 PM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Friend p*ssed off at me - advice please. PJ 18 1,793 26-09-2006 11:10 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Dog Advice Andrea 20 2,658 01-09-2006 08:39 AM
Last Post: Critique
  PS2 repair help needed....... Patsy 6 867 27-05-2006 05:54 PM
Last Post: survivorfan
  Advice needed. bridge 21 1,827 24-05-2006 11:35 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Cleaning help needed- cat hairs wicker Bob 13 1,562 19-05-2006 10:37 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  Advice Needed Bella 33 2,505 29-01-2006 03:09 PM
  Advice Please Buzz 10 1,109 28-01-2006 08:37 AM
  Advice please: Where can I put my parents? karenh 18 1,745 20-10-2005 05:24 PM
Last Post: Northern angel