Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed - yet another Fish thread!
21-11-2004, 05:34 PM

Calling all fish owners!

Our tropical acquarium has got a new and exciting addition - a newborn baby Molly!

This is a very unexpected surprise. We've got two black Mollies, which we knew were livebearers, but which we thought were both males. One of them was obviously female though, because we have just come back from a weekend away and there is a new, tiny little version of them swimming around inthe tank!

Anyway, are we supposed to do anything special? Are we supposed to separate the baby from the rest of the fish, because its parents don't seem to bother with it? Can we clean the tank? It really needs a clean right now, but if I change the water, is it going to be too stressful for the little babby? And finally, is it usual that a Black Molly would give birth to only 1 baby- because we have only seen 1? And if not, what has happend to the others?

Help! I have no idea what to do with newborn fishies! :ohmy:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Might need to protect it in a nursery basket. YUM YUM other fishies may think. Phone fishy shop on Moday and get advice. But if still swimming then probably OK....deserted at birth poor fishy. I keep same water I jug it out into two large stainless steel pans that have been well rinsed with fishies. Then do the job from hell and put it all back with a top up and some anti stress goo and aloe type goo and a few drops of something else, underfeed, over filter and leave em alone!
21-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I know for a fact karen, that if you do not remove that baby fish it will be eaten very soon. I think also they eat regular food. Our platys which are similar to Mollys, had babies and they were eaten. :sad: Apart from that I do not have any other advice to give.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
21-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Arrrgh - gosh! How do I segregate the baby? I haven't got a nursery basket, and at this time on a Sunday night, there is nowhere I can get one.

If I put it in a jug that is filled with the water from the tank, will that be okay? I mean, will it be okay without the oxygen from the filter?

Ummm - probably not.....

Oooh - I don't want the little thing to be eaten. :sad:

21-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Right - I've just had nother good look at the baby and I've got some more thoughts.

the baby is about 1cm in length, which is just under a 3rd of the size of its parent. About the same size as a small neon Tetra. So, I'm thinking that this baby may not be a complete newborn. Basically, althought it's tiny compared to the other fish in the tank, it seem a bit large for the Molly to have given birth to today or yesterday.

Also, its not hiding. Its swimming around quite freely and the other fish don't seem too interested in it.

Oh - I don't know what to do. I'm guessing that fish don't just give birth to 1 baby, so by that reckoning I'd guess that the baby had brothers/sisters that have been eaten? But, I also think that this hardy little baby is not a complete newborn and has now reached the size where it can swim competently with the other fish in the tank?

Am I grasping at straws or does this sound right?

If not, I have no idea how to segregate the baby in the tank without a nursery basket (which I can't get tonight). The more I think about it, the more I think that segregating it outside the tank is a bad idea. It would have no filter, and no heater and would probably freeze to death.

Oh - what a dilemma! This is my first baby fish. Its so cute and I want to keep it. :sad:

21-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Just leave it then Karen. If it doesn't look like a newborn then don't worry too much. If the other fish are not diving for it, it's probably too big. Keep the others well fed and they might not want it. Smile Also if it was a brand new baby it would stay in the plants and near the top of the tank.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
21-11-2004, 07:58 PM
tigger767 Wrote:Just leave it then Karen. If it doesn't look like a newborn then don't worry too much. If the other fish are not diving for it, it's probably too big. Keep the others well fed and they might not want it. Smile Also if it was a brand new baby it would stay in the plants and near the top of the tank.

Thanks Tigger and Sheoque for the answers. This is a new experience for me!

Yeah - I think I'll leave it be for now. Well, I've actually got no choice but to do that, because I have no way of segregating the baby fromthe rest of the fish, but at least my mind is a bit more at rest now.

I've given the rest of the fish double helpings of dinner to keep their mind off the new baby -just in case they start thinking of him as a snack! :laugh:

Cheers guys. Smile

21-11-2004, 08:01 PM
You are right karen this is the survivor unless Mollys just have one little Milly at a time, and icm is the size of a community tetra that will survive, so enjoy and be proud.
21-11-2004, 09:05 PM
sheoque Wrote:You are right karen this is the survivor unless Mollys just have one little Milly at a time, and icm is the size of a community tetra that will survive, so enjoy and be proud.

Do you know what Sheoque? In an absurd way I am proud! :laugh:

Me and Mr H have been inspecting the tank every half hour -partly because we need to see that the babby is still there, but also because we are completed fascinated by the new addition.

I think I'm gonna call him.....Goliath!

22-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Awwww, Karen congratulations on your new addition! How sweet!! You never know, it maybe the shape of things to come in your household! :wink2:

Sorry, I can't give you any advice on the baby fish itself but it seems that Tiggs & Sheoque have helped you out!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The 2007 Gardening Thread Dolores 22 4,140 19-04-2010 06:20 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  The official "Hot" Thread. The Curmudgeon 14 13,359 21-10-2008 10:24 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Best ever thread titles floopy 3 1,087 29-05-2008 09:18 PM
Last Post: Fee For All
  The "I'm Still Alive" Thread Rob 26 3,552 26-01-2008 06:58 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  Fish Figaro 18 2,016 17-10-2007 05:58 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  It don't need it's own thread.... Coastie 181 7,200 06-10-2007 05:45 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  The "how drunk will Groucho get tonight" thread ... Dolores 49 3,800 05-10-2007 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rob
  The SAVE BLUEY thread Slipper 4 954 05-10-2007 01:38 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  The Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Thread Critique 84 5,763 23-06-2007 05:54 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  a thread for us laydeeees... msgirl 20 2,067 19-06-2007 06:00 AM
Last Post: msgirl