Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
African Children's Choir - WOW!
09-06-2005, 06:58 AM

My church had the honour of having these little ones perform last night and they were AMAZING! There were 26 of them and the sad fact was that every one of them were orphans, they had all lost their parents either to the genocide or to AIDS. They were all aged from 7 - 12 and to see and hear them singing you can't imagine what they have seen in their little lives.

They sang their little hearts out and smiled, danced and clapped their way through the concert. There was not a dry eye in the house, it was very emotional but also very heart-warming.

When you think of what has happened to them it really does put your own life into perspective and makes you realise that those petty little squabbles and small indifferences that you may have with each other are nothing compared to what the indifference these little angels have endured!

I know they are travelling round the UK at the moment and they were all on GMTV a couple of weeks ago. If they come to a church near you, please do go and see them, they are just wonderful! Smile

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2005, 08:09 AM
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing them but if they are on TV again I will look out for them. It is very humbling when you see such bravery in youngsters who should have only known love and fun and yet have seen and suffered such awful things.
09-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I saw them on GMTV Bella and they were superb. Especially the little boy in the front. What confidence.
Find all posts by this user
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Aww Bella I bet it was lovely.

You know you are right. I've been having a bit of a miserable few weeks lately and when you hear about something like that kind of puts it all in perspective.

[Image: 429.gif]
09-06-2005, 03:08 PM
That must have been amazing to see! I've seen a group like that on tv before singing one of the songs from the movie "Hotel Rwanda." It was emotional just seeing them on tv, so it must have been even stronger seeing them in person..
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Quote:That must have been amazing to see! I've seen a group like that on tv before singing one of the songs from the movie "Hotel Rwanda." It was emotional just seeing them on tv, so it must have been even stronger seeing them in person..

Patsy Wrote:I saw them on GMTV Bella and they were superb. Especially the little boy in the front. What confidence.

The wee boy (if he's the same one) was fantastic, he done a couple of solos but there was a wee girl who I think was the youngest who stole the show for me. She didn't sing any solos, it was just her dancing, she just really let herself go and looked so happy with what she doing. It really was a lovely and very humbling experience. The teachers and the volunteers that were with them were just so proud of them.

Have you seen Hotel Rwanda, Islandman? I would really like to see this film but just know that I would get so emotional watching it. Some of the children there last night were from Rwanda, Uganda and other African countries, although the actually choir itself is based in South Africa.

09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
A wee question here - one of the songs they sang last night was "Because You Loved Me" I racked my brains to try and remember who sang it and not really sure but was it Celine Dion? If not, who was it cos it is bugging me!

09-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Bella Wrote:Have you seen Hotel Rwanda, Islandman? I would really like to see this film but just know that I would get so emotional watching it. Some of the children there last night were from Rwanda, Uganda and other African countries, although the actually choir itself is based in South Africa.

Yes, I've watched it. I really do recommend seeing it. It is sad but I think it's important to see these kinds of films....as I really don't think they make enough like this in "Hollywood." In addition to really showing the situation that occurred in Rwanda, it also did very well in showing the relationship between the "West" and more third world countries like Rwanda...which also is disheartening I must say...

Bella Wrote:A wee question here - one of the songs they sang last night was "Because You Loved Me" I racked my brains to try and remember who sang it and not really sure but was it Celine Dion? If not, who was it cos it is bugging me!

Yep, Celine Dion sang it.
09-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Islandman Wrote:Yes, I've watched it. I really do recommend seeing it. It is sad but I think it's important to see these kinds of films....as I really don't think they make enough like this in "Hollywood." In addition to really showing the situation that occurred in Rwanda, it also did very well in showing the relationship between the "West" and more third world countries like Rwanda...which also is disheartening I must say...

It should be out on DVD soon over here, and I think I will watch it. I know this is going off-topic but it does make me angry that the Western world refuse to get involved with places like Rwanda etc but then jump in feet first to Iraq and then try to say that it was not about the oil! :mad:

Oh, and thanks for putting my mind at rest on Celine Dion! :thumbsup:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Funny:Deciding whether to have children?Read it once... petergomes 3 1,036 03-12-2009 03:22 PM
Last Post: ils
  Children hitting puberty. Dolores 40 3,242 07-12-2006 11:54 AM
Last Post: Slipper
  What job do you want your children to do? gatubela 10 1,198 13-06-2006 04:02 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Are children being spoilt today? Northern angel 25 2,352 31-05-2006 05:37 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Grand children. secrets 24 1,863 24-12-2005 11:49 AM
Last Post: Critique
  Children - are they too expensive? Gelastic 17 1,700 26-05-2005 08:39 AM
Last Post: Dolores
  Children and Money Voice of reason 6 887 15-02-2005 10:04 PM
Last Post: Cat
  When children realise parents are people sheoque 4 803 22-11-2004 11:06 PM
Last Post: Flip