Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcohol
08-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Alcohol

Just wondering - do you think that on the whole drinking alcohol is a good, or a bad thing?

It makes for a convivial evening, but it does have its down side.

For instance, in the last five years I have injured a toe and a knee, both times after a skinful.

And another thing - how many of us have at one time or another ended up in bed with someone after a few drinks, and it turned out later to have been a bad move?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Alcohol
Didn't I just hear on the news the other day that they have found that alcohol effects on your body are just as bad as cigarettes?

As most of you know on the board, I don't drink, I used to though. And I have found that I can enjoy a meal, evening or whatever and enjoy myself just as much. To be truthful, as I don't drink, I find it boring being in the company of those that have had quite a bit to drink. I'm not being self-righteous here, like I said, I used to drink also. It just doesn't do it for me.

What I don't understand is the fact that alcohol is a drug, can be very dangerous, people die from alcohol related illnesses every year, people are killed in alcohol related accidents, families are broken up from alcohol fuelled problems. What's good about it? It's fine if you are one of those people who can use it in moderation, but not everyone can, so why is it so readily available?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Alcohol
This is interesting and I was only thinking about the whole drinking thing the other day to myself. My thoughts are as follows, I like a nice drink of wine, and I know when to stop, but I am 42 years old.

It has taken 20+ years for me to go through all the horrors of hangovers and being sick, and all the embarrassing things to deal with 'the morning after' - but now that I have reached a plateau, learned my limit and know my own capacity, I love a glass or two of wine, or a bottle of bud.

Now that the Gov. and health experts are telling us that a glass of red wine a day is in fact, good for you - then I am happy to oblige my body with an obligatory glass of red [sometimes white].

But I do think that the majority of people have to go through the stage of 'learning and experience' to come out the other end with an understanding of their body and their bodies reaction to drink. Some people realise at the end of this road that alcohol is no good for them and stop drinking. Some don't ever reach the end of the road and continue to treat alcohol wantonly. And there will be many inbetween on the spectrum of teetotal to alcoholics.

My drink related injuries and escapades read like War and Peace - without the Peace - so I do know what you mean sf - but surely you have reached that age by now??:unsure:
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Alcohol
Once again wise words from Ms Flip! :smartie:

I think if it were invented now, it would be an illegal drug. Alcohol is however a socially acceptable thing (even though the effects are frequently anti- social).

Effects Of Alcohol On Your Body

Alcohol is a drug. It affects the way you feel and it affects all parts of your body. Alcohol is a "downer," It directly affects the brain cells. Unclear thinking, staggering and slurred speech may result. Large amounts of alcohol may cause unconsciousness or death. Alcohol can increase the workload of the heart. Irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure can result. Alcohol can poison the liver. Prolonged use causes extensive damage and failure. Alcohol irritates the digestive system. Vomiting and ulcers may result. Alcohol can stop the kidneys from maintaining a proper balance of body fluids and minerals. Alcohol reduces your body's ability to produce blood cells resulting in anemia and/or infections. Alcohol can cause muscle weakness, including the heart muscle.

Car crashes, suicides, homicides and drowning am all associated with alcohol use and make it the number one drug problem for young people. In fact, the most likely cause of death for a 16-year old is alcohol-related.

After reading that, to me it is very obvious that Alcohol is pretty dangerous stuff, especially if you intend to drive.

I used to drink quite a lot on weekends in my teens, I loved it and found myself getting addicted to alcohol which possible led to many other narcotics.

My grandmother is an alcoholic, nobody really knows except family, she looks and acts completely normal during the day. Every evening she gets completely wasted all on her own, ending up in tears reflecting on the past as well as my grandfather who passed away etc. I think she may have recently stopped drinking, but I have seen a lot of damage it has done to the family, including me. Its kind of a catch 22 situation for some, drowning their sorrows seems the easiest option although it doesn't help matters and I think in cases like this, alcahol dependancy can cause depression.

When I fell pregnant, I stopped drinking and since, I have had my spurges. Occasionally I will go through a stage when I drink one or two glasses of wine every night, but then I find I am more likely to get really drunk on a Friday evening when theres no work the next day. I usually have little regrets about things I've said. The last time I got drunk was at my hubbys Christmas work party and I regretted it, I said waaaaaaay too much and felt like :pooh: the next day. I also usually smoke when I've been drinking and I've been a non-smoker for a while now. I always regret it!!

My little conclusion: Drinking can be ok for some who find that having one or two is nice or helps them relax. It can also be a huge downfall for others and create family/ marriage problems as well as be deadly in some instances.

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
08-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Alcohol
In the very first settlements where man started to grow crops the remains of mead (beer) making materials where found

Until these settlements man had been nomadic finding food where ever he could

So you could say that once he found the pub there was need to wander to far from it and so was found the bases of all civilisation
[Image: 28_3_6v.gif]

Even Jesus made and drank wine

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
08-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Alcohol
survivorfan Wrote:And another thing - how many of us have at one time or another ended up in bed with someone after a few drinks, and it turned out later to have been a bad move?
Quote:

:sad:...tell me about it! 20 years on and he still won't go home...:laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Alcohol
I havent been pssssssed up for MONTHS!!!!!! Last August was the last time I went out on the lash and got trollied.......I still have a few at home, but I dont get in the states I used to........

As for injuries - hmmmmmmm 3 years ago last September - one of the lads at works 40th, I started on the double vodka and redbull at about 5.30pm (showing off as usual), I ended up leaving the party to go clubbing, next thing I remember, was being in heap in an ally and I couldnt put my shoes on - worryingly, they were flip flops, with my mate The Duchess trying all she could to get me in a cab.....

She DID get me home, for me to get a call of one of my Directors demanding that I went to his house for a party....which of course I did - would have been SO rude not too - at one point I was lying on his kitchen floor, with him and the purchasing manager, putting stuff up my nose that I shouldnt have and drinking shots of tequilla...........

I got home as the sun rose and the milkman delivered - and I looked like I had been in a car crash - my legs, arms and chest were COVERED in bruises from where I had fallen over so many times.....and I vowed then I would NEVER get in that state again - and so far I havent.........

HOWEVER, I will be going up to Leamington the weekend of the meet - its one of the birds birthdays so it will be a bit of a mad one - so far there are about 38 of us meeting up.........so I may have a tale to tell.....

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
08-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Alcohol
survivorfan Wrote:And another thing - how many of us have at one time or another ended up in bed with someone after a few drinks, and it turned out later to have been a bad move?

THE most worrying bit is when you wake up and dont know WHO you are in bed with.......then you squeeze your eye open...just a teeny weeny slit, then breath a HUUUUUGE sigh of relief cos you are actually in bed with the b/f of the moment........ good old Diamond White hey!!!!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
08-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Alcohol
I drink very rarely, and even then I only have one or two glasses of wine with a meal and that's it.

I used to drink much more when I was younger, but now I have no interest at all.

I did get really trollied on my birthday last year, which was a dreadful mistake I will not repeat.... :sick:
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Alcohol
Flip Wrote:This is interesting and I was only thinking about the whole drinking thing the other day to myself. My thoughts are as follows, I like a nice drink of wine, and I know when to stop, but I am 42 years old.

I don't know when to stop.... but then I'm only 41 - another two and a half months to go before I know my limit!

I drink far too much on some occasions and feel absolutely dreadful the next day. Not hungover, but I just have a dreadful sense of guilt and shame that is overwhelming and completely depresses me for days ... but then again alcohol is an anti-depressant and that just goes to prove it's properties!

I have to say that I am much funnier and have a much better time when I am either sober or just had a few - so I often wonder why I feel the need to drink until I'm drunk and incapable of remembering what I did. I don't lack confidence either so I really don't know why I drink too much sometimes ... I suppose I must enjoy it .... at the time!

Cheers! :drinking: :beer: :wine:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How many good times do not involve alcohol IsLe Of WeAtHeR 24 2,616 08-06-2006 03:21 AM
Last Post: Coastie