Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpha Course
06-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Alpha Course

I've signed myself up for a Alpha course with my local Church and I wondered if anyone of you have done one and what I can expect?
The Alpha website doesn't really give too much away - I know it's a 10 week course, so I'm guessing that it'll be 1 might a week for 10 weeks?
Anyway....I'm looking forwardto it.

http://alphacourse.org/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Alpha Course
Mink, I done an Emmaus course that is really very similar to the Alpha course. I found it very informal and really enjoyed. I think the Emmaus course lasted for 8 weeks and I went along on a Monday evening. There were 4 of us doing the course and we took in turns to bring along a light supper. We would start the evening with our supper and have a chat around the table, then we have a prayer and then begin the course.

I have dug out my notes and this is what I covered when I done it:

Week 1 - Introduction and Background

Week 2 - The Bible

Week 3 - Jesus of Nazareth - who is he?

Week 4 - The Risen Christ - who is he?

Week 5 - The Holy Spirit

Week 6 - Christian Me! What do you mean?

Week 7 - The Church past, present and future

Week 8 - Living with God

Week 9 - Water, Bread and Wine

You will notice the obvious mistake that it was in fact over 9 weeks!

All in all, I really enjoyed it and I was invited to go along to an Emmaus refresher course but because Mr B is working away, I couldn't get the child-care but I hope to be able to go to the next one in the Spring.

I found it very casual and there was no preaching at all, I thoroughly enjoyed my Monday evenings at the Church. I hope you get as much out of it as I did Mink. I would say that it helped me enormously that my minister made it very comfortable and very interesting, by telling us how he got into the faith - he was originally a solicitor and he just made it very easy to asborb.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Alpha Course
I have ben really interested in doing an Alpha course Minks - I think you would enjoy it from what I have heard.

I lke the exploration aspect from a personal and naive POV, I love discussing things that I have little clue about and learning things that perhaps I should know.

We have finally appointed a new Vicar after being in interregnum for over 18 months - with me being left to the majority of the donkey's work - so I feel a release and an invigorating new motivation to learn more ...

... let me know how you get on?

ps Bella - I have heard of Emmaus course and I suspect it is quite similar.

On the same subject - someone here brought up 'Godly Play'? Was it you Belle?? We are to book a Vicar in the New Year to come and do a 'Godly Play' at our family service - I am thrilled to ribbons about it [partly cos I don't have to take the service] but mainly cos I am intrigued!!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

06-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Alpha Course
Nope, wasn't me Flip that mentioned the Godly Play - was is it?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
06-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Alpha Course
Minks my church does the Alpha course and although I haven't been directly involved what you can expect is a chance to ask any questions you have about Christ, God and Christianty.

Each time you attend there will usually be a meal served and it's during this relaxed atmosphere you can chatter away about life the universe and everythig and hear the Christian perspective on such things. There will also be a talk each week on a different topic from the Holy Spirit to Prayer and Worship. You shouldn't be pressured into conforming to Christianity instead you should be left with enough information to make your own decision and choices.

I hope you enjoy it!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
06-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Alpha Course
Bella Wrote:Nope, wasn't me Flip that mentioned the Godly Play - was is it?

oops!:w00t:

It was defo someone here.

Godly Play from what I am told is the telling of Bible stories using animated figures that keep small children entranced, it is all about questions - rather than 'telling'.

It was reported at our PCC meeting, from an older lady who is our Diocesan representative; she had gone along to a Diocesan meeting and 'Godly Play' had been introduced to the Synod.

She came back saying that the average age was over 50 and they all sat silent and entranced with this Vicar who took the 'Godly Play' - we don't have a Sunday School as we have Family Services, so we thought that we should learn about it and have some Godly plays in place of some family services - if it keeps 50 year olds quiet then it is bound to keep tiddlers and their parents quiet for half an hour!!:w00t:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

07-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Alpha Course
Thanks for the info ladies........when I called the Church yesterday they told me that the last session of the current Alpha course is this week and that they'll be starting a new one in the new year, so they'll give me a call when they've finalised the dates.

I'm quite looking forward to it now Smile

Also, I've been wanting to find a Church and I had a nice chat with the vicar yesterday so I'm going to try to get along to a service there before Christmas.
11-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Alpha Course
Just remember Minks...not all Churches are the same so it's worth shopping around till you find one that you feel comfortable in and which you fill will provide you with the neccessary knowledge and support for your spiritual journey.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
11-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Alpha Course
Whoever it was that queried whether I was part of Lee Community Church....no I'm not but that church was actually a plant from my church several years ago...I go to Logos which is currently undergoing a bit of a re-build so no Alpha Courses for a while...oh and the plant was because our church was getting a bit big so some decided to set up in another part of town...we still all talk to each other and get on well! :thumbsup:

17-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Alpha Course
I [yes, me, the non believer] went to an alpha supper evening, my friend jill thought i needed savingHuh but i have to say in all honesty, i have never met such lovely people, and although it wasnt 'my bag' i formed a firm friendship with the vicar afterwards, would see him on my way home from work for a chat sometimes, he was very patient and understanding with my non belief and would answer my sometimes bizarre questions......bit like our own darling blink!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]