Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative therapy
14-02-2005, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2005 06:59 PM by Bob.)
Alternative therapy

Do you rate alternative therapy?

I've been to see a Chinese healing practitioner. Basically today at work I bent down to pick something up and got stuck! Something went "pop" in my back and was in agony. I have suffered from a bad back in the past but nothing like this. I phoned a chiropractor, but they couldn't get me in till Wednesday.

Someone suggested this alternative practitioner, not to far from where I live. I went straight from work. I wish I'd had time to go home as I was wearing the biggest pair of pink knickers, even Brigitte Jones would have been stunned and I had a grubby grey white bra on ( I was only going to work!) and I've got hairy legs at the moment as I'm getting them waxed next week. So I'm lying there in my underwear feeling a bit embarrassed and when he started twisting my legs all over the place I farted . Blush
My back still hurts but not as much, I might have to go back, several "things" were put back into place but the inflammation around my lumber region is so bad that he said he daren't pull anymore at the vertebrae there in case he tore a ligament. It was really interesting how by playing with my ears and feet he could identify the weak spots around my body. My heart seems to be in good condition but my kidneys need a good flushing, basically I have to much acid build up, which he thinks is the main problem, he told me to always boil water twice, drink 6 litres of fluid a day and take a teaspoon of Andrews liver salts before I go to bed. I do drink a lot of water anyway so I was a bit surprised I'd have to drink more

He said (this made me laugh) that because I'm a big girl, but added also a gorgeous girl (hmm quick recovery!) that I need to drink much more than a slim person

He also said that the reason I'm overweight is due to the excess acid and fluid and would explain why I suffer from bad joints, today before my back went I had to sit down cos I kept getting stabbing pains through my right knee and under my right foot, also It would explain how when I'm at the gym certain exercises which are meant to work a specific muscle group end up hurting me elsewhere, too much acid build up, I'm not getting rid of the waste products efficiently and therefore this is affecting my metabolism.

I'm still a little bit sceptical, especially as my back is still hurting but he said if I do as he says with the liver salts and fluid I should notice a difference by the weekend. Obviously I've not to exercise which is a bummer as I was hoping to shift a few pounds before I go away, but I'd rather go away a little bit tubby than not at all cos I can't ski with this back.

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Alternative therapy
Bob, I used to suffer with all the same problems as you - bad back, stiff joints, and also a lot of hip and knee pain - until I started regular cardio workouts on my step and daily weight training. I also do Pilates exercises for my core muscles. But the main thing is, I spend at least 20 minutes stretching. My osteopath told me the usual cause of back trouble is shortened muscles in the legs - calves, hamstrings etc. He told me to stretch them every day and I ignored him - but now I wish I'd taken his advice sooner! He also found I had flat feet, and got me to wear some heel supports, which have helped enormously.

As for Chinese medicine, I am very sceptical as Mr C has heard some dreadful things about it in his line of work. A lot of them flog you potions that consist of ****** all and then keep charging you for regular repeat appointments, during which time the problem would normally sort itself out anyway!

So don't necessarily stop going but do keep an open mind and try some DIY healing too! I'd also recommend a good book on stretching techniques and give yourself a real thorough stretch every night!
14-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Alternative therapy
Chinese Medical Centre where I live - they are fabulous. I had acupuncture and herbalism for over a year. Not only that ( and this is related to the individual doctors there) but during a period of illness last year they delivered soup to my door. My great experience. I would say, check it all out. The training for doctors in China is similar to medicine here except where a speciality of medicine or surgery may be chosen, in China traditional medicine is regarded as a legitimate training route and speciality. Without question, this is an area of medicine that I have relied upon but it is always worth checking out the qualifications of anyone.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
14-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Alternative therapy
Humm, well I would be sceptical too, I'm no expert but 6 litres sounds like a lot of water to be drinking every day (and you can drink too much apparently) I'm sure you can flush your system just as well with 2-3 litres, but as I say, I'm no expert.

As some of you know I work as a hypno-psychotherapist so I'm in the therapy line, but I regard myself as 'complimentary' and not 'alternative' to conventional treatments and I'm sceptical of those who promote themselves as alternative. I think I'd run the advice past your GP Bob to be on the safe side.
14-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Alternative therapy
Bob Wrote:Someone suggested this alternative practitioner, not to far from where I live. I went straight from work. I wish I'd had time to go home as I was wearing the biggest pair of pink knickers, even Brigitte Jones would have been stunned and I had a grubby grey white bra on ( I was only going to work!) and I've got hairy legs at the moment as I'm getting them waxed next week. So I'm lying there in my underwear feeling a bit embarrassed and when he started twisting my legs all over the place I farted . Blush

oh my lord Bob! I can't stop laughing so Im absolutely no help whatsoever to you! [Image: 36_11_6.gif]

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
14-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Alternative therapy
Bob,...you seem to tumble thru life will all your 'self diagnosed' disfigurements and social ungracefullness, I think you are wonderful.

I have had the foot massage thing done...can't remember what its called and tho it was lovely and relaxing...woke myself up with a loud snorty snore...her diagnosis of my problems was rubbish.

:bag:
14-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Alternative therapy
Quote:I'd also recommend a good book on stretching techniques and give yourself a real thorough stretch every night!
Actually this was one of the main points he talked about and he showed me some stretching to do at home.

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
14-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Alternative therapy
Cat Wrote:Bob,...you seem to tumble thru life will all your 'self diagnosed' disfigurements and social ungracefullness, I think you are wonderful.
:bag:

She does doesn't she Cat! ... and yes she is wonderful ... .if only for farting on the alternative practitioner's table!!

What did he say Bob?! Come on he must have had some reaction!

Sorry to demean your rather lovely thread!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
14-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Alternative therapy
Bob Wrote:Actually this was one of the main points he talked about and he showed me some stretching to do at home.

Well he's obviously not a total quack then! :laugh:

Presumably none of them involved bending over tho, in case you let rip.... [Image: toot0vz.gif]
14-02-2005, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2005 07:50 PM by Bob.)
Alternative therapy
Dolores Wrote:She does doesn't she Cat! ... and yes she is wonderful ... .if only for farting on the alternative practitioner's table!!

What did he say Bob?! Come on he must have had some reaction!

Sorry to demean your rather lovely thread!
Yes he did, he said "oh you'll probably release quite a bit"
:whistling I was hoping he hadn't heard. At least it didn't smell :pooh:

What embarrssed me more though was the fact that he kept having to lower my knickers a bit when massaging my lower back, but even worse was when he pulled them back up he pulled them really high, you know like your Dad does when you're a kid

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  My Alternative Christmas Thread (SF welcome) Slipper 1 570 22-11-2006 12:50 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Time Line Therapy report Marmoset 11 1,553 07-07-2005 06:51 PM
Last Post: Marmoset
  Time Line Therapy Marmoset 12 1,770 30-06-2005 01:07 PM
Last Post: Becks
  Vote for June's Alternative Theme! Ceridwen 24 2,097 30-05-2005 06:24 PM
Last Post: Bob