Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal rights activists dig up granny...
24-08-2005, 07:01 AM

A farm that has been breeding guinea pigs for medical research for more than 30 years is to stop after intimidation by animal rights activists.

The family-run Darley Oaks Farm in Newchurch, Staffordshire, has been hit by a six-year campaign of abuse.

You may have heard the above story where the guineau pig breeding farm had to shut down after 6 years of intimidation by animal rights activists. The final straw being when they dug up the remains of "granny" from a nearby graveyard and held them hostage until the farm was shut down.

How sick is that? Whether or not you agree with what animal activists do (I don't) how can you justify such drastic actions?

Just think of the jobs lost by their actions and the potential loss of live by medical research not being carried out.

500 doctors have signed a declaration stating that medical reseach invovles some vital experimentation on aminals and quite frankly that is good enough for me.

I hate any kind of bullying or terrorism which is EXACTLY what these extreme animal rights activists are. More interested in their personal crusade than the bigger picture.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2005, 07:20 AM
I agree Dol, it is sick. Some animal extremists to take things too far. I appreciate they don't agree with what this family were doing but these extremists took the law into their hands and basically broke it. The remains of the grandmother have never been returned either. This sort of publicity for them foes their campaign no good at all.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
24-08-2005, 07:55 AM
That's disgusting.They showed no respect for the sanctity of the dead.That is just so disrespectful.
I don't agree with breeding animals just for experimentation, but to desecrate that poor woman's burial place is just not on.
I hope karma comes and bites them on the ass!
yukky.

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2005, 08:51 AM
I think its terrible. I dont agree with animal testing when it comes to beauty products for example. I would gladly have them test products on me to see if i came out in a rash rather than rub shampoo in some bunnys eyes.

BUT when it comes to medical advances, you have to test on animals. I doubt very few humans would let you pump them with possible fatal drugs to test if they worked or not, and they have to use something. If the scientists hadnt tested on animals, then we wouldnt have the cures for illnesses that we have now.

I know its cruel - but, if a member of your family desperately needed a drug as a cure to cancer etc ... then you would want them to have it, and need to know that its safe to use.

I would love to know how one of these activists would react if they had a life threatening illness, but the drug they needed had been tested on animals. Would he / his family refuse it ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
24-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Ive just realised that ive not answered the question, and gone off in a completely different tangent :wacko:

28-08-2005, 02:25 PM
I have been active in animal rights for years. I have been on numerous rallies and protests where a small number of people are there for no other reason than to incite (sp) trouble and violence etc. They ruin it for the legit protesters, and lose any respect and any chance of the ones of us who are trying to peacefully protest of being taken seriously and listened to.

I am against the breeding of animals for experiements, but terrorising people is not the way to get it stopped, its about educating people,finding alternatives etc.

I was involved with the protests at Hillgrove Cat Farm - that was closed down through pressure from protestors.

We have a right to peacefully protest.

I think digging up someones dead relative, firebombing, threatening people, makes 'us' worse than 'them' really.
28-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Tabby Cat Wrote:I am against the breeding of animals for experiements.

So what should they use to test treatments for various illnesses ? Would you volunteer yourself to try a potentially lethal dose of something ?

Im a MASSIVE animal lover and have rescued two animals now, and have my own little zoo - but i understand the importance of animal testing when it comes to treating cancer etc ..

Like i mentioned in my first post, im very anti cosmetic testing.

28-08-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm with you on this one Bons. I can't see a realistic alternative to some testing, although I do rather bury my head in the sand and would rather not think about it. I think as a nation we are very sentimental when it comes to animals, probably too much so.
28-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Patsy Wrote:I do rather bury my head in the sand and would rather not think about it.

No - me neither. But this thread made me think about it - which is what this forum is all about .... food for thought.

28-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Wasn't that the title of one of UB40's early albums? Do you think they're pro or against?