Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone NOT looking forward to Christmas?
09-12-2004, 12:13 PM

I'm not, especially Sad It's soooo boring in my house. My folks are really old and set in their ways, not one bit of good fun about them whatsoever. The only thing in the past thats made Christmas bearable was my sister and her husband coming home (they live in London) but they've not been here for a few years on the trot (mmm i wonder why Wink). They're heading to Thailand on Christmas day this year. We never have any visitors to the house. We visit my dads sister after mass then just come home again... and still not let open any presents! We have to wait til after Christmas dinner cos its a tradition of my dads (its torture!). I will probably spend the day quietly getting drunk on my own and doing my best to conceal it from my tea total parents!!

I've been reading about all of your family traditions and they sound like so much fun, I love my old pair to bits but I do wish we could have fun at Christmas! Does anyone else have a miserable time?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I used to love Christmas and would build up to it for weeks getting everything just so. It was a great family time, and the traditional style Xmas. Now I dread it - I mean REALLY dread it to the point I try to get away from it.

I lost my Husband and my Mother at Christmas - two of the most important people in my life, and both before their 'time', so for me it's hell on earth.

I think more people should be aware that not everyone can get into the spirit of Christmas - for some the memories of Christmas Past is a tough one to cope with.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2004, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Eternity *****hugs*****, makes my problems pale into insignificance... where they belong!
09-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Awwww Culabula - you've made me feel all sad and selfish now :sad: There is always room for one more around my table :bye:

I do adore Xmas and always have. Im a big kid and i go wild for anything Santa'fied all december.

BUT this year is a bit of a damp squib. Im moving house on Monday so i havent been able to put any decorations up, and we wont be putting them up in the new house as they are least of our worries.

My mum if feeling poorly right now, so that worries me as she is central to all our celebrations. My dad seem to have the permanent hump which isnt helping either and i might shout at him fairly soon if he doesnt stop nit-picking.

Also - we normally have parties to go to on Xmas Eve and we have our own party on Boxing Day .... but this year they have both been cancelled and i will chill out with a bottle of something bubbly and a tin of Quality Streets.

I sincerely hope you have a wonderful Xmas, and do pass over the trick of how to drink LOADS but not let your parents know :laugh:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
09-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Eternity Wrote:I lost my Husband and my Mother at Christmas - two of the most important people in my life, and both before their 'time', so for me it's hell on earth.

Oh blimey, that is terrible news. Im so sorry :sad: :hug:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
09-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Aww I am sorry to hear that Eternity :hug:

I know if it wasn't for my children, I too would dread Christmas as I lost both my parents around Christmas time 4 years ago.
09-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Thank you so much for caring, it means a lot. Heart Dad is taking me away this year, we both hurt - needless to say, so we are getting away from the sad memories in hope it will help us both cope better. We can but try.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2004, 12:43 PM
I suppose christmas is just everywhere for at least a month, so if anything terrible does happens at christmas time it'll always be linked with christmas and I can understand why some people can't enjoy christmas because something has happened at that time, and with it being so in-your-face it must be hard to deal with...

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
09-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Eternity Wrote:I used to love Christmas and would build up to it for weeks getting everything just so. It was a great family time, and the traditional style Xmas. Now I dread it - I mean REALLY dread it to the point I try to get away from it.

I lost my Husband and my Mother at Christmas - two of the most important people in my life, and both before their 'time', so for me it's hell on earth.

I think more people should be aware that not everyone can get into the spirit of Christmas - for some the memories of Christmas Past is a tough one to cope with.

I am very sorry to hear about that Eternity, and you are right, we get so caught up in our own lives and Christmasses that we don't take a whole lot of time to consider those that maybe are not as happy as us. I learnt a lot from reading your post and I thank you for that. Best wishes and hugs for you and your dad, and I know you will value the time that you have together.

Cula - I hope your Christmas turns out to be more cheerful than usual as well.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Happy Christmas Saedhb 4 1,570 24-12-2009 02:23 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Christmas cupcakes jeryruse 2 1,201 17-12-2009 05:44 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Christmas spinach filo torte jeryruse 1 1,175 17-12-2009 12:59 PM
Last Post: jeryruse
  Tired of Christmas yet? karenh 8 1,867 28-12-2008 10:45 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Merry Christmas Bonsai 8 1,849 27-12-2008 04:48 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Christmas Parties Slipper 18 3,101 12-12-2008 01:45 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  New Year. Something to look forward to? karenh 12 2,258 02-12-2008 07:51 PM
Last Post: PJ
  A Christmas wish for you all! ~ils~ 11 2,563 02-01-2008 07:23 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  The Christmas Rat Rob 1 1,254 11-12-2007 07:16 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Record your first sighting of domestic Christmas decorations here! Dolores 58 4,047 27-05-2007 05:23 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze