Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone trying to lose weight?
14-02-2005, 02:45 PM

Just wondered how many of us are trying to lose weight - what have you found works for you? Have you done Atkins, Weight Watchers, Slimming World, etc. I want to lose 2 stone in 4 months (for my holiday) but as I am very inactive and haven't got much will power it just isn't happening.

All tips and recommendations greatly appreciated Smile
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2005, 03:13 PM
I have managed to loose 2 stone since last August, and i found the easiest way was NOT to go on a diet. I ate whatever i wanted, but in moderation, and low fat versions.

If i wanted some salad cream, i had low fat. If i wanted a sandwich, i picked the least fattening one without mayo. If i wanted some choccie, i had a mini bar instead of full size. I also switched to diet drinks.

Im also quite inactive, and the most excercise i did was walking, but the weight slowely and surely came off, and hasnt crept back on again as its an eating plan thats been easy to stay on.

Good luck Smile

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Well done Bonnie - that is fantastic Big Grin :thumpsup:

Over the years I have tried most of the diets going and although I have lost weight with them I have got bored and given up.

I tend to follow the weight watchers points diet now, although I don't attend meetings. It works for me. It is basically a low-fat diet and although the weight lost is quite slow, I do feel healthier when I follow it.

Good luck with your goal Critique, it is hard work but if you do lose 2 stone in 4 months all that hard work will be worth it.
14-02-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm trying to put on a bit of weight! I think Im too thin and its not how I want to look.

My husband is on a diet, he was a stone or so heavier than he wants to be. I like him that way but he didn't. He plays football weekly and twice weekly in season and goes to the gym every lunch break, but wasn't loosing the weight he wanted to. He has recently started a calorie diet where he counts the calories of everything he eats and eats less than he's supposed to. Then he goes to the gym and counts the calories he burns off. It is a bit of work to be counting calories all the time, but I suppose if you are determined then its not too much of an effort.

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
Find all posts by this user
14-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I did a similar thing to Bonnie, basically cut down (or out) on all the rubbish, swapped snacks for fruit, drank water or diet drinks and pretty much cut out all processed food alltogether. It sounds hard but isn't as I eat more, and a wider variety, of foods than I ever did before. The biggest thing I did was to cut out bread, I found it made me bloated and lethargic and I have got used to not having it now.

Over-all I lost just under 2 stone and that was 2 years ago, I still eat the same way now (with the odd treat thrown in) and exercise 4 times a week to keep my weight stable.

Well done Bonnie and good luck Critique Smile
14-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I do admire you gals that have done it. The healthy eating approach seems to be the best way, but I suppose what I really want is a quick fix and I know that is neither the best way to lose weight, nor to keep it off.

I seem to have spent all my life watching my weight - then suddenly I started just eating anything I fancied and that and the age thing, I suddenly lost my waistline altogether.

I know people say you should be happy with whatever you are but I am so fed up with "disguise" dressing. I miss being able to slip into things I like rather than things that cover up my shape.

Ah well, back to the lettuce leaves and away with the biscuits :bored:
14-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I think the secret is, as Bonnie says, not depriving yourself of anything, otherwise you get into a craving mindset and are probably doomed to fail! If you want a biscuit have one, but not 10! If you want some cake, have half what you normally would have had. I used to tell myself that every time I ate good healthy food, that I was 'eating myself slim' it really helped. Make it a positive rather than negative thing and you should be ok Smile
14-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Voice of reason Wrote:I think the secret is, as Bonnie says, not depriving yourself of anything, otherwise you get into a craving mindset and are probably doomed to fail! If you want a biscuit have one, but not 10! If you want some cake, have half what you normally would have had. I used to tell myself that every time I ate good healthy food, that I was 'eating myself slim' it really helped. Make it a positive rather than negative thing and you should be ok Smile

There's my downfall - I have one, then another and ........... I never buy sweets and don't even particularly like chocolate but if I am given a box I can't just have one - have to eat the lot. Oh dear, I sound like Bessy Bunter!

I'm trying to stay off the bread cos my sis-in-law agrees that it bloats you up more than anything else. I do miss it though.

I think if I had someone to cook me healthy food and I didn't have to think about it I would be OK but cooking for hubby makes me crave the stuff he is having. :shutup:
14-02-2005, 06:49 PM
I quite similar to ILS - I tend to follow the Weigh****chers points although I also no longer go to meetings.
A few years ago I lost 3 stones with Weigh****chers and it was quite easy.
For the most part now I eat what I want, but if I do get heavier than I like then I follow the Weigh****chers points plan more strictly and the pounds soon come off again. I'm about 12 pounds heavier than my happy weight at the moment, so today I'm going to start watching what I eat a bit more and I know the pounds will soon shift.

I've also noticed that it's much easier for me to lose weight if I don't drink alcohol.

I tried Atkins for about 6 weeks once, I did lose weight but after the first couple of weeks felt constantly sick. I wouldn't recommend it.
14-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Minklemar Wrote:Weigh****chers

Haha!! I didn't know there was a naughty work in the middle of Weight Watchers!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Weight Gain ? Bonsai 293 15,370 18-05-2007 06:56 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  Recent pic of my weight-loss. bridge 13 1,744 11-03-2006 02:21 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Cleaning is great - What makes you lose it? Becks 30 2,703 23-05-2005 06:28 PM
Last Post: mazwad