Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you Alcoholic, who me?
09-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Having just read a super book "A drinking Life" I wondered what folks perceptions were of Alcoholics? What is an alcoholic, how would you tell one and are you one?

If you have a half empty wine bottle in the fridge (with cork on from another day) you need not apply to this thread. If you have never had a half empty wine bottle in your fridge then read on MacDuff....

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2005, 01:29 PM
last night I could only manage half a bottle of red wine ... which NEVER usually happens to me. I did have a headache though ... but not caused by the alcohol ... which made me stop.

If I open a bottle of wine i am very very likely to drink it and still want more ... but I only probably have a drink about once or twice a fortnight, if that. I can't actually remember the last time I got drunk ... but I do know I was on line at the time ... is SO to blame for my drunkeness?

oh ... and I mostly drink at home alone ... do I qualify!?

i watched qutie an interesting programme the other morning whilst off sick from work (not a hangover, I might add!) and it gave some pretty sobering statistics about alcholol abuse in this country ... obviously I can't remember any of them!

i do know that most alcholics hold down a full time job, though.

Another point I'd like to make is that surely the guidelines for acohol units per week make most people who drink "problem drinkers" ... I always think it's set awfully low and quite unrealistic. And I wouldn't say that those who go a few points over the recommended units are problem drinkers ... but I'm not qualified to say that, it's just my opinion.

Now excuse me whilst i go to fish out that half drunk bottle of wine! :wine:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
09-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Dolores Wrote:Another point I'd like to make is that surely the guidelines for acohol units per week make most people who drink "problem drinkers" ... I always think it's set awfully low and quite unrealistic. And I wouldn't say that those who go a few points over the recommended units are problem drinkers ... but I'm not qualified to say that, it's just my opinion.

mmmm.... :book: Denial: often the problem drinker will resort to universal denial of their problem and throw a wide net over their problem linked to a wider problem in society...

09-10-2005, 01:45 PM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:Having just read a super book "A drinking Life" I wondered what folks perceptions were of Alcoholics? What is an alcoholic, how would you tell one and are you one?

If you have a half empty wine bottle in the fridge (with cork on from another day) you need not apply to this thread. If you have never had a half empty wine bottle in your fridge then read on MacDuff....

Do you want personal insight, with specific examples? Or just general observations realting to the normal perception of alcoholism?

That's the trouble with threads like these. :bored:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2005, 01:45 PM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:mmmm.... :book: Denial: often the problem drinker will resort to universal denial of their problem and throw a wide net over their problem linked to a wider problem in society...

sorry ... don't understand! do i need to be drunk to understand? I will start drinking and see if your reply becomes clearer!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
09-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Fee For All Wrote:Do you want personal insight, with specific examples? Or just general observations realting to the normal perception of alcoholism?

That's the trouble with threads like these. :bored:

my use of the word you was the big clue that Y O U missed

09-10-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm not one. My partner is.

Alcoholics I can spot. And other types of 'plonkers'

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
09-10-2005, 02:12 PM
I think there are shades of gray on this. In the past, I have had a couple of drinks and always want one more, but generally recognise when I get too far and stop before I start to lose balance, slur words, or have to wake up with a bad head. But I still have too many in that I "get a little happy and chatty".

My older friends partner has a serious problem in that his breakfast is always two double whiskies, that, to me, is a serious alcoholic. He doesn't eat some days, cannot get through a day without a lot of alcohol, lies to himself about it (reckons its his choice to do what he does), etc etc

A girl I see a lot down the pub often gets totally trashed (at least once a week), and looks like it, the unfocussed eyes, staggers, can't focus on a conversation, embarrasses herself. That to me is also an alcoholic.

Hard at times to differentiate people who drink for fun, and those who start to lose choice over their drinking habits, but the above two stand out to me as people who have lost some decision over what they do.
09-10-2005, 02:26 PM
I could easily drink more than I do. In fact, I plan diversions so I dont drink as it is too easy, relaxing and enjoyable but obviously has ill effects. The day after being one. My father was, what I would consider, an alcoholic - steady drinking during the week, binge at weekends, blackouts, change in mood and behaviour.

Most of the great times of my life - somewhere drinking was involved. Some of the worst moments of my life, drinking was involved. From the celtic tradition, there is a pull toward the dram, a pint, part of the pattern of the week.

Do I have an issue with alcohol? It something that I could see developing if I am not careful. Again, because it is too easy. Good awareness came for me when I had to take some meds, after anaesthetic, and the interaction with alcohol meant that if I had a couple of glasses of wine, I was totally out of it. Really scary stuff. I am glad though that it happened because it reminded me that alcohol is a drug. A drug that I still use regularly in varying doses.

I have wine opened and not drunk....but that is not a measure. I could drink plenty one day and nothing for ages (the binge cycle). I love red wine, good beer and malt whiskey.

I have to say though I have had more good times than bad where alcohol is concerned. Great stories to tell and a lot of laughter.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
09-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Fee For All Wrote:I'm not one. My partner is.

Alcoholics I can spot. And other types of 'plonkers'

Yup, herding all alcoholics in with "plonkers" is just the type of debate I was looking for. Huh

I am sure your partner will be delighted with his category