Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you a sentimental/keepsake kind of person?
28-09-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm a very unsentimental person I think! I've moved around so much in my life that I find it easy to ditch stuff that is no longer useful or necessary. I've lived in my current house for six years which is a record for me in my 44 years of life and so have probably got quite a lot of stuff horded these days.

I got rid of all my son's baby stuff - didn't keep a SINGLE thing. I've got no toys/dolls etc from my own childhood (due to my parents moving every two or three years).

I've even chucked out love letters and a loving telegram that my dead boyfriend sent me cos they were cluttering up the place and I had no further use for them - how hard am I!!! (actually sometimes I do feel slightly guilty for that!).

travel light and never expect anything to be around for very long is my motto - and that includes hairdressers - for some strange reason I never get attached to a hairdresser as they always seem to move on!!!

but do you know - I would DIE before I chucked out all my old vinyl records even though I don't have a record player and most of 'em are warped beyond repair - those records are my history!!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2007, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2007 04:13 AM by Voice of Reason.)
Nah, I'm not especially sentimental about things like that either Dol. When we moved over here we got rid of a whole heap of stuff, including my wedding dress which went to the charity shop (Actually I cleared out a bedroom wearing it first, just because I found it shoved in a suitcase somewhere!)

Other stuff was given away and I guess the only half-way sentimental things we brought with us were old photograph albums, including baby photo's etc. I don't have anything from my childhood (except the inferiority complex of course :wink2: ) nor any baby clothes or toys that belonged to our own two either, although they have a couple of things they were given as christening presents I think.

I've never been at all sentimental about houses either, I don't seem to get attached to them at all. I can quite happily move from place to place without much of a backward glance, which I guess has made it a lot easier for us to settle into life in NZ.

Sam will be off to university next Autumn (March / April time for us) and I'm wondering if I will feel sentimental about that at all, I'll probably just be relieved not to have all his washing every week instead!
Find all posts by this user
29-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Oh I am terribly sentimental...I still have teddies from my childhood which I can't through away as they look at me as if to say 'Don't you love us anymore?' and thought of them being in a skip somehwre just makes me keep them...

I have school books from infants school and all sorts of stuff from my travels including ticket stubs and stuff...

I am a right old horder:wacko:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
01-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a box full of sentimental stuff to do with the kids but nothing from my own childhood. We bought the house I was born in for pratical reasons rather than sentimental reasons.
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't consider myself materialistic in the slightest when it comes to cars or clothes or jewellery but I have to keep everything useless that reminds me of times, events and people, from dog eared backstage passes and theatre programmes to plane ticket stubs and restaurant bills.

Maybe it's 'cos my memory is so crappy!:wacko:

bam bam
01-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Well yes Dolores, I am a keepsake person. There is not one room in my house that doesn't have some sentimental junk in it.

Can't remember who said this " Keep nothing unless it be useful or beautiful", sadly its a motto I need to start applying.

Maureen
Northern angel.:good:

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
02-10-2007, 06:39 AM
I keep just about everything. We have an attic loaded with all sorts of cr ap. I have the menus and day to day activities of when I went on a cruise many many years ago. I know I`ll never use or need them again but they are apart of my history. I have many of my childhood items and also all of my daughters things.

Mr SB has all his wage slips from when he started work 30 odd years ago.

I would love to be the kind of person who doesn`t horde things but it`s just not in me
02-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I am definitely a hoarder! I am a definite "keep just in case" sort of person. Thing is it drives me insane as my drawers, cupboards definitely do need decluttering!

I would love to be more like Dol and Voice but I just can't bring myself to throwing things of absolutely no use whatsoever!!!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm a chucker. Much like life, getting rid of the old isn't about losing something, it's more about making room for something new.

Bollox to potplants
04-10-2007, 10:03 AM
floopy Wrote:Much like life, getting rid of the old isn't about losing something, it's more about making room for something new.

Nicely put. Might have a go at decluttering the bedroom tonight and reclaim some space.

Then I'll have to go shopping. Which is cool.

bam bam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Last Person... Mars 129 12,317 30-11-2008 11:36 PM
Last Post: ~ils~
  What kind of drunk are you? Dolores 41 3,274 04-07-2007 07:00 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  What is your favorite kind of food!? fUdGyDaWHaLEE 11 1,773 15-06-2007 06:02 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Am I a BAD person Slipper 12 1,522 06-12-2006 01:43 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  Comment on the person who posts before you! Flyo 96 6,055 21-09-2006 01:31 PM
Last Post: gatubela
  Are you a Cat person or Dog person? Northern angel 16 1,582 13-06-2006 03:28 PM
Last Post: Minklemar
  Are you a morning or a night person? Critique 23 2,352 07-10-2005 03:53 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Insult the person above thread Lugger Buggs 353 9,767 24-07-2005 09:10 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  What Famous Person/People Have You Met? Patsy 31 2,182 11-05-2005 10:23 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Dislike most in a person? claire 54 4,041 18-04-2005 04:20 PM
Last Post: ils