Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art or Cruelty?
10-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Art or Cruelty?

BBC Video Link (I really hope this link works)

Is this woman being cruel or is she producing an interesting piece of art?

Personally, I think it's neither and she's done something a little bit controversal just so she can get her 5 minutes of fame, but I'd be interested to hear your views.

"While in my head time is collapsing and the currents run cold"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Art or Cruelty?
Can't see the link but if she's making kids cry to get a good picture, it's not the first time it's been done. I'm trying to think of the film, it won't come to me, but back in the 50s a famous director needed a shot of his ten year old actor crying, the kid couldn't cry, so he told him his parents had been killed in a car accident. That did it and the director got a great shot.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Art or Cruelty?
I think unkind is a better word that cruel, HTV. Whipping away a lolipop from a kid to make it cry for the sake of picture seems unkind and mean, but the case in SF's example was both cruel and wicked.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
10-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Art or Cruelty?
Survivorfan is right here making a child cry has been done before. In actual fact I have an oil painting in my shed of a young boy crying, that I have kept belonging to my dad. But I don't particularly like it so I won't have it hanging in my flat.

Children do have such expressive faces excitement, curiosity, laughter, playing, tears and they are all very beautiful. I would not like to say that it isn't artistic to capture any of these expressions. Some which are momentry and can easily change.

I did hear of a recent news article where a photographer has been accused of abusing the chidlren who have become the focus of her art exhibiton. As a result of the news coverage the exhibition will probably be a success.

My own personal view is that the act of taking away a lolly pop was not very kind, but does not constitute abuse. With the children in question being so young they are highly likely to forget all about it, unless reminded of it at some point so that the memory becomes impounded by repetition by adults.

What you consider to be art is open to your own personal tastes.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
11-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Art or Cruelty?
Northern angel Wrote:I did hear of a recent news article where a photographer has been accused of abusing the chidlren who have become the focus of her art exhibiton.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL

That would be the very woman hush the voices posted about.

In my view, misuse of the term 'abuse'.

An example of attack-by-label of something you don't like and worse in its own way than taking a sweet from a child.

11-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Art or Cruelty?
It doesn't seem very cruel to me, in fact if it were my child I'd be more concerned at him having the lollipop. That said it all seems a bit uneccessary. My definition of art is things I like to lok at and a bunch of screming children is not it Big Grin
11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Art or Cruelty?
Presumably the parents gave their permission. Surely the greater blame lies there?

If they were paid, wouldn't that be exploitation?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Art or Cruelty?
If that's "abuse" then I "abused" my grandson this morning by taking a teddy away from him (producing the same reaction) because I was worried that the eyes weren't safety ones and he could have pulled them off and swallowed them!! Do I think he will be scarred for life? Of course not.

I do worry about the kind of parents that put their kids up for this sort of thing though. Although I don't think any lifelong harm will be done, it seems kinda mean to cash in on your kid's misery.
11-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Art or Cruelty?
Sammboelyn Wrote:My definition of art is things I like to lok at

isn't that a rather Sammboleyn-centric definition? What if it's something someone else likes to look at and you don't? Art, or not art?

11-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Art or Cruelty?
Critique Wrote:If that's "abuse" then I "abused" my grandson this morning by taking a teddy away from him (producing the same reaction) because I was worried that the eyes weren't safety ones and he could have pulled them off and swallowed them!! Do I think he will be scarred for life? Of course not.

You'll be buying him a Thudguard next.