Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Art or not?
23-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Art or not?

Just wondering what you all think of Art, do you think that anything presented as art is art or do you think that Art should be more traditionally presented/
As part of my job i come into contact with a lot of "Art" and it just seems to me that really anything can have the "Art" label chucked on it.
I don't however have any qualification to give any real insight or understanding to art, but art is for everyone isn't it.

What do you think of this for example...
[Image: CI0506_lg.jpg]

Personally i don't like it, it's something i feel i can do pretty easily.

I think this is Art.....

[Image: escher-stair.gif]

I love a bit of EscherCool

[Image: atom.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Art or not?
I know nothing about art, but i always feel art should be something that has taken skill to do.

Tracey Emin (i think thats her name) created that room with a messy bed and a few condoms thrown about. That to me isnt art. That is what my bedroom looks like on a Sunday morning :laugh:

There is a man who smears his own poo all over a canvas and calls that art. There are people who created towers from old coca cola cans and it get exhibited. To me thats all crazy.

I know what i like, and i suppose that is the same for everyone. I also see things that i dont particularly like, but i know it has taken tremendous skill and patience. There was a picture recently that got trashed. It was of Moira Hindly, and it was made up of thousands of tiny hand prints to make up the picture. It must of taken ages, and although i thought the subject and the fact it was made up of childrens handprints was kinda sick, i appreciated the art of it.

I recently bought an original piece of art. Im surrounded by artists where i live, and a few are friends. I bought a painting that was exhibited in London but went unsold. I adore it - and its inspired by a Bob Dylan song. It was for sale at 1,200 pounds, and i got it for 300 as apparently you arent allowed to exhibit the same piece for another 2 years and he didnt have enough storage. Maybe one day the artist might be famous and it could be worth a fortune ?

I think everyone sees something different though in every picture - something that others cant see. Thats what makes life interesting.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Art or not?
Ziller Wrote:Just wondering what you all think of Art, do you think that anything presented as art is art or do you think that Art should be more traditionally presented/
As part of my job i come into contact with a lot of "Art" and it just seems to me that really anything can have the "Art" label chucked on it.
I don't however have any qualification to give any real insight or understanding to art, but art is for everyone isn't it.

What do you think of this for example...
[Image: CI0506_lg.jpg]

Personally i don't like it, it's something i feel i can do pretty easily.

I think this is Art.....

[Image: escher-stair.gif]

I love a bit of EscherCool

Looks like what counts as art for you is something that is technically well executed.

I don't think art is just a case of technical skill, in fact I don't think you don't have to be technically accomplished to create something artistic.

For me, art is something that includes the artist's interpretation of something ordinary. If you just want something realistic, you might as well take a photograph.

I like some surrealist paintings. Salvador Dali is one of the most famous surrealist artists but I don't like his work. He is technically talented but the stuff he paints does nothing for me. On the other hand someone like Rene Magritte isn't so technically skilled but the subject of his paintings has a lot more impact on me. In fact he said he hated painting initself but he had to do it to express himself. It strikes me that the difference between the two artsts is that one is trying to express his painting ability, the other is trying to express an idea. If you're not familiar with their work, here's one of each. Do you agree?

[Image: dali,salvador,geopoliticus,child,watchin...D7CBB3.jpg] [Image: Renee%20Magritte%20-%201929%20-%20The%20...Images.JPG]

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
23-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Art or not?
Art is just one person's expression of something they wish to communicate.

Sometimes everyone understands it and appreciates it, sometimes noone does, it depends how well they express it.

And the appreciation of art is also entirely individual. I can see someone express something and appreciate and understand it, while someone else sees nothing, but then conversely they see something in a different work of art that goes over my head.

All very personal (eg I have no appreciation of the squary picture thing, looks dumb to me, but I'm sure inspired to someone else, and I will never argue with them).
23-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Art or not?
I think sometimes it helps to read about the artist and what it is they are trying to do, or in the case of the artist being part of a wider art movement, what the art movement is trying to do. That way you might get a better understanding of the painting which may help you appreciate it more.

23-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Art or not?
[QUOTE=survivorfan]Looks like what counts as art for you is something that is technically well executed.

I don't think art is just a case of technical skill, in fact I don't think you don't have to be technically accomplished to create something artistic.

For me, art is something that includes the artist's interpretation of something ordinary. If you just want something realistic, you might as well take a photograph.

I like some surrealist paintings. Salvador Dali is one of the most famous surrealist artists but I don't like his work. He is technically talented but the stuff he paints does nothing for me. On the other hand someone like Rene Magritte isn't so technically skilled but the subject of his paintings has a lot more impact on me. In fact he said he hated painting initself but he had to do it to express himself. It strikes me that the difference between the two artsts is that one is trying to express his painting ability, the other is trying to express an idea. If you're not familiar with their work, here's one of each. Do you agree?

[QUOTE=survivorfan]

I Like dali, i've had a quick look in the Dali museum by the London eye and i like the style, not sure i'd agree that Magritte is just trying to show his skill, don't know much about the artist really.
I would say i'm more into detail not so much technical, i like escher as it's a kind of fractal image, a pattern thats almost hypnotic.
I bought a poster (thats the only art i can afford Sad ) of Bruegels La chute des anges rebelles.....
[Image: bruegel1.jpg]it's quite a weird work but i liked it Smile

[Image: atom.gif]
23-09-2006, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2006 10:58 PM by Fee For All.)
Art or not?
I like some abstract art, mainly stuff like Mondrian and Rothko, but I see it more as interior design than art. Something to add to the overall look of a room, rather than a stand-alone piece to be enjoyed.

In terms of 'proper' art, I'm attracted by shape and colour. I like Degas, Klimt and Schiele, but overall I think I prefer sculpture and architecture as art forms.

This has been one of my favourites since I saw it in the Tate when I was quite young - it's the contrast of fabric and bronze together that make it for me.

[Image: N06076_9.jpg]

But then I lke Modigliani too

[Image: Ob368.jpg]

If you like it, and it gives you pleasure, then it's art!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
24-09-2006, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2006 03:49 PM by gatubela.)
Art or not?
The only stuff I have is from a vietnamese artist called Le Thanh Son.

I love his stuff, check some of it out (just read Clinton baought one of his paintings).

http://www.thavibu.com/vietnam/le_thanh_son/VIE1600.htm

In general, I found a lot of art I really liked in Vietnam, its the hotbed of art in Asia for some reason.
24-09-2006, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2006 11:27 PM by Northern angel.)
Art or not?
All of us have a different view about 'What is art?'

For me I have to be able to communicate with the art as a form of beauty and some technical skill. If it appears to be to simplistic it is wrongly labelled as art' and some of what is labelled art' is also offensive.

Art has value in more than the eyes of the beholder.

An art exhibition at the Tate in London last year had communicated no other message other than rubbish the cleaners had removed the 'black sacks' and placed them in the bin.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
25-09-2006, 07:55 AM
Art or not?
It just struck me that we might be trying to answer a bad question (no offense meant Ziller) in as much as 'what is art?' or 'is this art?' is unanswerable even though it looks like it should have an answer. Do you get my drift?