Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian Tsunami
02-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Asian Tsunami

This is a bit controversial but here goes. The most shocking image for me during the coverage of the disaster affecting so many people was the sight of a woman in a bikini on the beach days after the huge wave. This was while bodies were still being brought in by the tide. I had to take a breath when I saw this. The next day a group of guys were interviewed having a beer on the beach beside this ongoing tragedy. I am not there, was not there but I find it difficult to understand, empathise, with returning to a holiday amongst the dead, the debris, the possible undiscovered survivors. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Asian Tsunami
I know what you are saying Tonee, and yes I do find it distastful. The other thing that is annoying me and I maybe alone here but I am sick and tired of the British Tourists returning home annoyed that the British Officials done absolutely nothing to help them! The British Officials are just human, they have never dealt with anything on this scale before. They may well have lost their homes, friends or family. This one guy was complaining because the officials told him to contact his airline direct in order to get home. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. This guy survived, he was able to do things for himself. The British Officials were probably spending most of their time with the people who really needed their help, there is huge devestation, hundreds of bodies, lots of families who have missing family members. I really don't know what people expect. Don't get me wrong, it must be horrific for the survivors to have lived through the horror, to have seen people die in front of them, seeing people being swept away, but now is not the time for silly, petty complaints. They should be grateful they are alive, grateful that they can come back home to their families, grateful that they have their homes and jobs to return to and that they do not have to rebuild their lives from scratch!! I have no doubt that somewhere, right this very minute in Britain there will be several people already lodging their complaints about the British Official and no doubt suing for compensation. I wish people would just take a step back and be very very thankful that they are indeed alive. It makes me sick!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Asian Tsunami
Yeah - I felt the same tonnee. I couldn't help wondering why people would travel to these destinations now unless it was to provide aid. I thought it seemed selfish and mercenary to continue with holiday plans to a destination which has been devasted on this scale, and expect hotel staff (who have probably lost family members) to serve and pamper you. I mean, these countries are crumbling and their people are starving and homeless. What gives us the right to swan over there and laze on an idyllic beach as if we are in paradise, when the people who actually LIVE there are struggling to cope with the decimation of their homes and families.

But then my husband pointed out that many of these countries RELY on a tourist trade. Without it, their whole economy would collapse. In reality, the LAST thing the people of these countries want is for the tourist trade to disappear along with their homes and familes. Which is probably true.

But it still seems a bit too soon IMO. Almost callous.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
03-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Asian Tsunami
Oh I meant to say Bella. I couldn't agree more!

For some people, it really is all about me, me, me. :sad:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
03-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Asian Tsunami
karenh Wrote:But then my husband pointed out that many of these countries RELY on a tourist trade. Without it, their whole economy would collapse. In reality, the LAST thing the people of these countries want is for the tourist trade to disappear along with their homes and familes. Which is probably true.

I did see on one news report that this exactly what some of the locals were saying 'please keep coming'. But like you say, Karen, it is just a bit too soon.
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Asian Tsunami
Also it appears that many of the residents have went out of their way to help the tourists even though their own lives have been completely and utterly destroyed. British tourists (not all of them), really need to take note. The residents of these countries have acted with the utmost dignity, my heart and soul goes out to them. I have donated money to them, but I feel that even that is not enough.

Sadly other countries like Sudan, the Aids famine will all suffer because of this. NOW is the time for the rich countries of this world to cancel out ALL 3rd World debt. We should pull our troops out of Iraq and get them over to the Asian regions where help and assistance really is needed. NOt that the people of Iraq need help, but surely now is the time to stop War and unite.

03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Asian Tsunami
maxine Wrote:I did see on one news report that this exactly what some of the locals were saying 'please keep coming'. But like you say, Karen, it is just a bit too soon.

The thing is Max, it is going to take years for everthing to be put back, years of building and sadly probably many of the skilled people were killed. I have never been to these regions, but I would like to think that some time in the future I will go.

03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Asian Tsunami
to be fair to those people on the beach with beers etc. I'm quite sure that they didn't realise the far reaching and awful effects the Tsunami had over the whole of the south east Asia region.

I'll be honest I didn't either at first (first report I heard was on the radio) - the pictures on tv make it seem more real and give a better understanding of how god awful the whole thing was.

Also like Max and Karen I've seen many reports where these people need the tourist trade (for whatever reason) to keep the economy going.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Asian Tsunami
Bella
The many humanitarian responses are unfolding from locals and foreigners. My niece just left Phi Phi, her friends still there and unaccounted for. My brother was planning to be in Thailand. My closest friend's father lives there. Another friend in Sri Lanka. I have been involved in seeking the reassurance of contact from my friends which they have all made, luckily. I suppose, because it so could easily have been someone close to me caught in this, I expect 'all hands on deck' but maybe some people just can't do that.

The areas I am sure are still reeling with the ongoing impact of this disaster. Most people involved in this tragedy probably don't even know what to feel or think right now. Or what to do. It is incomprehensible.But, returning to my original point, some people (the minority) are returning to the holiday way of life amongst this and it is hard to make sense of this right now.
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Asian Tsunami
I am so peed off today! :angry:

I can't believe that people have been stealing charity boxes set up for the purpose of collecting for the Tsunami Appeal. Apparently a box was stolen from Salisbury Cathedral which would require at least two people to move and is believed to have been wheeled out in one of the Cathedrals wheel chairs which was also stolen. Another collection box was nicked from a shop and another from a shop in Winchester...they caught that low life scumbag and I hope the throw the book and several large bricks at him! :angry:

What so of world do we live in where people would do such a thing.......

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]