Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian earthquake and tsunami disaster
27-12-2004, 01:58 PM

Ive been watching this on the news all morning. This is terrible. The death toll is greater than 22,000 and rising. I expect alot more will die of disease if aid is not given fast.
Was also wondering Mink - you said you were going to Sri lanka tomorrow - thank God you weren't already there as Sri lanka was one of the worst places hit! I take it you've had to cancel your holiday?

Just makes you feel very lucky that we don't have to deal with disasters like this, doesn't it? As well as extremely ignorant and inconsiderate when we complain about a smattering of rain.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2004, 04:27 PM
I've been watching this on and off too PJ and it does make you realise how lucky we are over here......
27-12-2004, 05:13 PM
My next door neighbour has gone on a 3 month round the world trip, and she only left Sri lanka a few days ago to head for Austraila, Thank God she did.
Find all posts by this user
28-12-2004, 06:31 PM
This whole disaster is a terrible tragedy really. I've been watching the news with interest, as I have been to quite a few of the places that have been decimated by the tidal wave. In recent years we have visited both Sri Lanka and Medufushi Island in the Maldives. Both were beuatiful places in their own ways. Sri Lanka is rich in culture and history and has been devloping economically in leaps and bounds - the people of Sri Lanka were rightly proud of how far their country had come in terms of social and economic development. I wonder how much of their work has been lost? :sad: With Medufushi island - I wonder if its still there! It was tiny - you could walk the circumference of the Island in 20 minutes - to walk across from one side to the other took only 5 minutes! It was practically ON sea level!

The greatest tragedy about this whole disaster is that many of the countries that have been hit are amoung the poorest in the world. Which probably influenced their decision NOT to have an expensive early warning system inplace such as the kind that is in existence for countries on the Pacific.

Very sad. :sad:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
28-12-2004, 10:48 PM
I feel awful about what has happened over there, and it breaks my heart to see the images on the TV. I understand the devastation, but I do feel the media are being a little too graphic. Imagine being there and having to retrieve all those bodies. I wonder how those people will ever get those images out of their minds. It's horrible. How on earth will these poor, poor people ever get over this? :unsure:

It is one of the poorer economic areas of the world, and I have wondered how they will rebuild and come through this. I really hope that the rest of the world gets it's act together and helps with this greatly. I saw the other night on TV that Britain sent a plane out there with 240 family size tents. Now out of how many of the million or so that are homeless is that going to help? :angry: Surely we as a nation can afford to send much more than the £370,000 that the Government is sending. We spend more on weapons to blow up people than help people live.

It is also going to be difficult throughout all the coming weeks when the diseases start hitting, as they will. They have no fresh water, decomposing bodies and heat. It's not a good combination at all. How many more people will lose their lives?

And of course, we now have the knee jerk reactions of how there could have been more preparation. But I don't see really how much preparation could have helped in a catastrophe such as this. Maybe helped those in shores that were further away and took the Tsunami longer to reach. But the initial ones in any case would have had no warning. It's sad, very sad. :sad:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
29-12-2004, 10:19 AM
tigger767 Wrote:Surely we as a nation can afford to send much more than the £370,000 that the Government is sending. We spend more on weapons to blow up people than help people live.

:sad:

Here here Tiggs!!!

The day after the Tsunami struck I heard an Australian Government representative saying that Australia were pledging 10 million to the aid releif, and what were we sending some tents and some petty cash???

Thankfully, following negaitve comments, from the otherwise neutral United Nations, the UK have upped their relief donation from 1 million to 15 million, making it the second largest worldwide. Of course, it is not a competition to see who can send the most - but like Tiggs says our defence budget is gargantuan and the majority unneccessary, when you look at the likes of Iraq!!

This sort of donation pales into insignificant when you see the acts of kindness displayed by the Sri Lankans towards the western tourists, giving them clothes and water, despite having little or nothing themselves!! I am nearly ashamed to be called British today!!
29-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Simon and I intended to spend Xmas and New Year in Phuket this year. The only reason we didn't is because our house sale fell through.

I can't believe how fortunate it was that happened, in retrospect. Huh
29-12-2004, 03:52 PM
The images shown on TV are just horrific, words simply cannot describe the devestation. And as been pointed out, it has hit the world's poorest countries and it will take years for them to get back what has been lost.

My friend is on honeymoon in Thailand and was based in Phuket. They were actually on a cruise out at sea when the tsumani hit Thailand. I received a text from her late on Boxing Day to say they were ok, they were still out at sea but could see the devestation on the shores. However, she texted me yesterday to say that she was not prepered for what they saw when they arrived back in Phuket, everywhere is littered with bodies and the smell is just awful. They are just thankful for their lives.

I agree Tiggs, the media are graphic and I cannot help but be transfixed when it shown on TV. In my local paper today, it shows a wall of photos of dead people and most of them are children.

We should withdraw our troops from Iraq and focus on uniting the world after this tragedy, I somehow think that won't happen......... :sad:

It does kind of put your own life into perpective though, doesn't it? All those little things that irratate us, take a back seat to what is happening to those poor people. At least the tourists who have survived can come home, I know the events will prey on their minds for a long time, but they will be back in the comfort of their homes, getting on with their lives whilst the people who actually live there will have to stay and fight on.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
29-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Bella Wrote:My friend is on honeymoon in Thailand and was based in Phuket. They were actually on a cruise out at sea when the tsumani hit Thailand.
I was wondering about people who were out in boats. I would've thought all the boats would have capsised!
I heard one tourist say that alot of other tourists went out on cruises that morning and didn't return afterwards. Your friend is very lucky, bella!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
29-12-2004, 09:18 PM
FFS get your money where your mouths are and onto this site:

http://www.dec.org.uk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post