Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Word Filter
03-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Bad Word Filter

As you all know the forums are moderated. :smartie: Ie there is a system in place whereby myself and the moderators (volunteers) choose to sort and edit contributions which are irrelevant, obscene, illegal or insulting from contributions which are useful, relevant or informative.

In addition there is also a form of automated moderation by means of the bad word filter. Every so often I have to add words and derivatives to the list of "bad words". This is because:
1) People try and get around the filter by using alternatives
2) There are hundreds of words that can be deemed to be bad and they're not in the list yet

When one of the words in the list is used in a post then it is replaced, usually with *'s.
I am the only person who can add words to the filter.

So why do we have moderation and moderators? To try and make SO enjoyable to as wide an audience as possible.

I received a complaint about the use of a certain word and agreed, after some thought, that the word shouldn't really be in use on the forums. In fact other derivatives of the word were already in the "bad word" list.

I don't really expect the volunteer moderators to get hassle for explaining what has happened - it may appear obvious to some, but others might not have a ****ing clue why there is suddenly a string of *'s in their post!

btw - just to remind you all - trying to get around the bad word filter is against forum rules.

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Bad Word Filter
Haydon Wrote:there is a system in place whereby myself and the moderators (volunteers) choose to sort and edit contributions which are irrelevant,

you're letting a lot of those slip through the net matey

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Bad Word Filter
Yes I know!

Haydon

27-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Bad Word Filter
Why the recent clamp-down, H? Has someone been complaining? Huh
27-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Bad Word Filter
I'm always getting complaints! But there hasn't really been a "clamp down". Everyone seems to be trying to get around the swear filter - it's there for a reason.

Haydon

27-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Bad Word Filter
Sorry Haydon. I know they're the rules and I don't mean to offend anyone. I don't think any of us do.

Didn't we have a discussion about this a few months back? I can't remember where the thread was now, but I thought a lot of people felt that not being able to use the odd bit of rude language was a bit nannyish, given the fact that we're mainly adults.
27-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Bad Word Filter
You're probably right. It's been raised numerous times before over the years.
Just call me an old fashioned nanny then! Smile

Haydon

27-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Bad Word Filter
Haydon. Would you mind moving my last post in Lost/Missing/Gone to this thread, please? I fear we have moved badly :offtopic: and we can't have that, can we?
27-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Bad Word Filter
But sometimes only a swear word will do!:sad:
27-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Bad Word Filter
I don't like swearing for the sake of swearing...I think it's cheap and vulgar and I do find it offensive:cry: ...that said if you have just dropped a tin of beans on your toe or smashed the car into the back of a milk float I can fully appreciate the need to let of a bit of f'ing steam! :mad2:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WordPerfect to Word dab 3 405 23-07-2005 11:42 AM
Last Post: dab
  Posting graphs from word documents... Cat 18 1,377 11-07-2005 11:04 AM
Last Post: Blink
  Help needed regarding Wordpad and Microsoft Word PJ 10 1,044 26-04-2005 08:19 AM
Last Post: Blink
  Windows virtual memory and Microsoft Word Help please tigger 13 2,136 01-04-2005 09:17 AM
Last Post: Cockney
  Help with Microsoft word tigger 4 561 09-12-2004 01:02 PM
Last Post: tigger