Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bah humbug!
12-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Bah humbug!

We've got the other thread about Christmas moans and the annual problems of trying to keep family and friends happy with our presence, however this thread is for those of us who just can't get into the festive spirit. Perhaps you like Christmas but there's just some jobs and things about this time of year that you hate?

For us, this weekend just gone was 'Christmas tree weekend, - I had to get up into the loft and retrieve all the decorations without falling through the ceiling. :unsure: I'm not that keen on heights or spiders, so I really enjoyed that job - not.

It was then time to put the thing up and find out that half the bulbs aren't working. So, it was a question of going through them all and testing each one. All the time I've got the valuable input of two children saying "I don't think you're doing it right". :wallbash:
We bought a nice new pack of twinkly lights last year. 150 of the buggers.
Anyway, got them all to work eventually.

Next, it's the Christmas cards - oh joy. :glare:

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Bah humbug!
I nearly did cartwheels of joy this year at work when it was announced that instead of sending Christmas cards, we would be giving a lump sum each to charity.

Oh deep deeeeeeeeeeeep joy, because I loathe writing out Christmas cards.

I also hate Christmas shopping with a vengeance, mainly because the shops are so hot you almost faint, most of the people shopping are coughing and spluttering all over you to the point where I feel like getting a tissue out of my pocket and screeching "use a hanky!!!!!!!"......... oh and how soul destroying is it when you find what you want to buy after about half an hour and then have to stand in a queue for twice that time? :ranting:

Im doing a lot of mine online next year !

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Bah humbug!
I love everything about Christmas...but then because of my shifts I can do my shopping when all others are at work....I don't have any kids to worry about....my loft space is easily accessible and I don't have to many decorations to put up....I only send cards to people I actually like and never feel obligated to send them to those who send them to me but I don't like them.....I don't have hundreds of relatives to worry about and actually get on really well with all my family and love spending time with them....

So yeah CHRISTMAS IS FAB IN EVERY WAY!!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Bah humbug!
I hate shopping full stop. My job involves going to Tesco 5 days a week and the wholesalers every couple of weeks so I hve developed a shopping allergy. Even if its clothes shopping for me I still hate it and will put it off for as long as possible.

The added time spent shopping for bluddy presents depresses me no end. I buy stuff sure that it will be just right for so and so and then get it home and start doubting myself.

For instance I bought a mate at work a mushroon growing kit. When I bought it I thought yeah that will be different as I happen to know she loves mushrooms and I am fed up with buying smellies and the usual christmas crap. When I got home I read the side of the box and it says must be kept at a temperature of 55 to 65 degrees. As it is rather a large box I dont know if she will have room indoors for it so now I am disappointed in what I thought would be a novel gift.

Call me stupid but I had no idea what temperature mushrooms grow in they seem to pop up in my garden whenever they feel like it I hate the bloody things anyway.

So do I give it to her anyway and hope she has room to put it or buy something else?
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Bah humbug!
Hehehe Mazz - I do that. Why is it that what looked like a good idea in the shop suddenly turns nasty when you get it home?

I bought all those flipping craft sets off the shopping channel and thought - yay! got the girls sorted. But now I've actually looked at them properly they're all little tiny bits and pieces and their mum's going to hate me Sad

Also decided that one didn't look much so have now decided 2 each for two of the girls and one left over (will do for a birthday pressie maybe)

Mr. C is like Haydon - hates getting the decs down (even from on top of the wardrobe), hates putting them up and seems to be unable to follow simple instructions. "No dear, I said put four in a square round the light, you've done them in a diamond shape, they won't hang evenly like that" - Blank look!

I've carefully gone for all gold theme this year but he couldn't find any drawing pins so has put them up with red pinboard pins (oh yes and a couple of white ones here and there :wallbash: ) I just wasn't brave enough to insist on getting proper drawing pins. I would have ended up wearing the decorations pulled tightly round my neck.

The main thing I hate is the wrapping of presents. It gives me a bad backache and murderous feelings towards sticky tape that sticks to everything other than where you want it (that's after you can get it started and get a bit that doesn't split down the side, leaving you to break your nails trying to find the flipping end again)!!

Bah humbug indeed!

(ps Mazz - no I don't want a mushroom growing kit thanks Wink )
13-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Bah humbug!
For some reason, this year christmas doesn't feel like christmas. It feels as if nobody is in christmas spirit mode, I almost forgot about the whole holiday! Does anyone else feel this way?
13-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Bah humbug!
I haven't gotten in the 'mood' just yet myself!! I even attended a Christmas Dinner tonight with the ladies in my Childcare Association and got a ginormus stocking to hang with our family's name and I still am not excited!!:glare:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Bah humbug!
The only thing i dislike about Xmas is when i buy a pressie .... and then immediately afterwards when i get it home worry that i haven't :-

1 - spent enough on that person so they will think im tight

2 - think it isnt 'quite' to the taste of the person i have bought it for

3 - wrap it and worry until christmas day

I do it every year. Im doing it for my parents now. I have bought my mum a handbag and a necklace. The necklace is quite choker like, so i worry it wont fit around her neck .... and the that the bag isnt her taste.

Im also worrying as i have spent £50 on mum, and £20 on dad .... thats just WRONG isnt it :unsure:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
13-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Bah humbug!
Bonsai Wrote:The only thing i dislike about Xmas is when i buy a pressie .... and then immediately afterwards when i get it home worry that i haven't :-

I do it every year. Im doing it for my parents now. I have bought my mum a handbag and a necklace. The necklace is quite choker like, so i worry it wont fit around her neck .... and the that the bag isnt her taste.

Im also worrying as i have spent £50 on mum, and £20 on dad .... thats just WRONG isnt it :unsure:

I know it's different with parents Bonnie but the worst thing is when you have spent all that time worrying as in numbers 1-3 and then when you open the one they give you, you find it's a box of chocs or some smellies which took absolutely no blooming thought whatsoever - bah humbug!!
13-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Bah humbug!
Bonsai Wrote:The only thing i dislike about Xmas is when i buy a pressie .... and then immediately afterwards when i get it home worry that i haven't :-

My mum is the same :glare:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bah Humbug!! Masked Ball! Flip 51 4,352 03-01-2005 07:51 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen