Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balls in the Garden
23-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Balls in the Garden

Please tell me if you think I am becoming a grumpy old woman or whether I have a valid gripe. I live in a semi detached house and my next door neighbours have two kids – aged 3 and 7. Although we have 80 foot gardens and a 6 ft high fence I am constantly getting their balls in my garden. I always throw them back and they always say “sorry” but I am fed up with this happening 4 or 5 times a week. I also have a lot of really nice plants and am just waiting for the ball to come over yet again and break some of them. We also have a massive park just around the corner. Am I a misery guts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Balls in the Garden
Ermmmm, OoopsBlush my sons are always kicking there balls into next door.
Although at the moment it is a building site and we want to annoy the builders at all costs:w00t:

Actaully to tell the truth they don't kick them over that much, because I tell them not to kick it high, and we do have a fairly small garden.

4 or 5 times a week is quite alot, you must have nice weather there. Or does their mum shove them outside to get them out from under her feet:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Balls in the Garden
If only it were just balls - I'm going to be having the bloody children coming over the fence...

[Image: trampoline.jpg]

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Balls in the Garden
Well I don't think 4 or 5 times a week is very much to be honest, now if you were saying 4 or 5 times a day then I could understand you being a little annoyed! I normally have a ball kicked into my garden at least 2 twice a day but that is all part and parcel of living next door to children.

I don't honestly think you can expect children not to play with a ball in a garden that size especially when they are the ages of your neighbours children, as they are not old enough to go to the park on their own yet!
23-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Balls in the Garden
Fee For All Wrote:If only it were just balls - I'm going to be having the bloody children coming over the fence...

[Image: trampoline.jpg]

Lol Fee - I think you either need to get a first aid kit or a couple of old mattresses, for when they do!! :laugh:
23-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Balls in the Garden
I think I'd be annoyed if it was happening that often, tbh.

I'd chuck the balls back, but not immediately, make them wait a day or so, then they might learn that kicking them over the fence does actually have a downside.

Or accidentally pierce a couple of them and blame the rose bushes :bag:

Bollox to potplants
23-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Balls in the Garden
MariaRob Wrote:Please tell me if you think I am becoming a grumpy old woman or whether I have a valid gripe. I live in a semi detached house and my next door neighbours have two kids – aged 3 and 7. Although we have 80 foot gardens and a 6 ft high fence I am constantly getting their balls in my garden. I always throw them back and they always say “sorry” but I am fed up with this happening 4 or 5 times a week. I also have a lot of really nice plants and am just waiting for the ball to come over yet again and break some of them. We also have a massive park just around the corner. Am I a misery guts?

yes

Put a small gate in the fence so that they can get there own balls

How would you feel if the where abducted from the park by some paedophile

[b][i]Life is not that long [Image: 36_1_12.gif]
[/b][/i]
23-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Balls in the Garden
ilovesurvivor Wrote:Lol Fee - I think you either need to get a first aid kit or a couple of old mattresses, for when they do!! :laugh:

I've sharpened some canes to support the plants in the pots...

Actually, balls don't bother me at all - I get them winging in from both sides, and just chuck 'em back. I kind of balance it out against the favours I get from neighbours. They have to put up with my cat.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Balls in the Garden
Mmm - arn't u tempted to pop across after dark and have a go on it yourself.

Back on topic - If at three and seven they say sorry for throwing it over then they at least have some manners. Put yourself in the three year old's position, they only just learned to walk now they have to control a ball. There is a danger that you will become the wicked old witch on the street. Although I do understand that crushed plants is not good. Is the ball heavy or light. If its one of those light ones they float easily over fences? Also it may be the dad is a big kid and keeps blaming it on the children.
23-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Balls in the Garden
I would agree with ILS they are too young to go to the park on their own and not so much from the stranger danger element but from crossing the road element. My daughter is 7 and we have a park but I would not let her go on her own, I don't even let her walk to school on her own.

We had an incident last year where Katie picked a flower from our neighbour bed, now it is a shared garden between 6 of us but Mary did seem to think that she was pretty much in charge of it, not that I am saying what Katie done was right, it was wrong. The situation was handled all wrong, probably by both parties but Mary took the whole thing out of control. We spent the remainder of the year not speaking to each other and have to say it was an most unpleasant experience. I am glad to say that we are back on speaking terms and Mary has even said she will miss us when we leave(how much of that is true, I don't know :laugh: ) and if I am really honest I will miss her too. It has made me realise that it is not worth falling out with neighbours over petty things, it would be different if the kids next-door were trashing the place or that they were foul-mouthed and rude, and were doing it delibrately. Even just have a wee quiet word with the mum or dad, and just say that you have just planted new seeds, trees and that you don't want them getting ruined, don't go in with all guns blazing as that is why my dispute went horribly wrong, as Mary was just way over the top with her handling of it.

I remember when we were kids and there was one couple who lived across from us and she was always out shouting the odds, telling us to keep quiet when we ran past her door, or if we were shouting - it was the middle of summer for christs sakes and we were a group of kids who were just enjoying themselves. We used to play tricks on her, we would ensure that we shouted really loud when we ran past her door, we would play chap door run, the penny trick on the window etc........and yes we probably called her an old witch!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user