Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
16-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?

So we've got this new Band Aid record.

The line up smacks of credibility: Keane, The Thrills, Snow Patrol, that bird off Morcheeba, Chris Martin. Pop is represented by Bedingfields v.1 and v.2, Will Young, Jamelia, Sugababes and Busted. And Rachel Stevens.

But my question is this: rather than enlisting all of the credible rock acts and pop stars, wouldn't have it been more sensible to enlist uncredible acts who are guaranteed to sell singles, i.e. the dreaded Westlife, or even Sam & Mark? And apparently the new recording is awful anyway! So what was the point?

It's like the organisers have lost any semblance of sense in this entire thing: it's meant to be about aiding Africa rather than creating a nice record that people might buy. A journalist on a site I visit went on a Sam & Mark messageboard, asking whether people would buy the record. The poll choices were:

Yes
No
Yes, if Sam & Mark had been on it.

Only four people voted in this poll, which speaks volumes in itself, but the thinking was: if these four people represented 200,000 potential buyers, that's half of them lost because their teen idols - however terrible they may be - aren't on the record.

What's going on, Mr Geldof?

cheerio!
Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
I think they should have had some of the originals on there as well. I mean most of them are on tour now as they have all pretty much re-formed.

I heard the record this morning on radio 2, but having been around when the original happened, my mind just kept going back to the video of that one and seeing all my idols on there, so I didn't think this one would match up to it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
I was watching the interviews on TV last night or the night before, and one of the girls, (couldn't tell you her name) had to call another girl over to help her remember the name of the guy who started it all, Bob Geldoff! :ohmy: It made me wonder whether these people really knew what it was all about, or is it just another notch for them.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
16-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
I just saw that on the entertainment news Tigger, I was shocked:ohmy:

Actually this is the 3rd band aid record. Can anyone remember the 1989 one that featured Rick Astley, Luke Goss, Kylie, Jason Donovan amongst others. Now that one was truly awful.

Edited to add, apparently the bookies aren't taking any bets on this being no. 1 for Xmas cause it probably will. So we know what we'll be watching on Xmas day TOTP.
16-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
Well I didn't buy either of the previous ones so I doubt I will buy it.
16-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
Personally i wont be buying it. I loved the original, and a Christmas CD wouldnt be a Christmas CD without it on there.

I think, if they wanted to do a song for charity then they should of written a new one. Doing a remake seems somewhat pointless.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
16-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
tigger767 Wrote:help her remember the name of the guy who started it all, Bob Geldoff! :ohmy: .

And she ended up calling him Bob Gandolph!!:laugh: :laugh:

It may have been Jamelia - who was only 3 when the first one was released, now she has a three year old herself - I thought that was quite sweet!
16-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
It was Joss Stone who couldnt remember his name.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
16-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
I can see what you are saying Scooby, but I don't think it would have made much difference regarding it's initial success and therefore the money raised for charity.

Yes, it would be in a few weenies Xmas stockings if say Sam & Mark were on it, but the original had a long lasting appeal partly because of the 'credible' artists. Maybe they are looking for the same format this time around though it might be difficult to reach the 8million sold by version1. Wasn't the original re-released a few years back?

I haven't heard it yet so can't comment on it's merits as a musical piece. It's always difficult to a later version with something you've grown up because it's never as good. Who gets to sing the immortal lines, 'tonight thank God it's them instead of you'. Please tell me it isn't Robbie!

But at the end of the day, it doesn't particularly matter how good or bad it is as long as it sells by the bucketload and raises money for the starving in Sudan.
16-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Band Aid - Bad Choices?
Nox Wrote:Who gets to sing the immortal lines, 'tonight thank God it's them instead of you'. Please tell me it isn't Robbie!

It finally went to Bono.
But apparently Justin Hawkes of the Darkness had recorded it first, but Bono really wanted it, so he got it.