Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Barbecues
28-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Barbecues

Mr C and I are contemplating making our first ever BBQ purchase now the garden is done. We would probably usually be cooking just for the two of us, but we would probably shove a fair bit of stuff on there as we are both pigs! :laugh:

But we don't know what type to get! Some people say the gas type ones don't give the meat a nice flavour like real charcoal.

If you have a BBQ, can you recommend what is best in terms of taste, convenience, easy to clean etc?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Barbecues
I always turned my nose up at gas barbecues -but now I reckon they are great. Can't detect any difference in taste; none of that hanging round waiting for the coals to be ready, and no more difficult to clean than any other. Plus there's no charcoal to be got rid of after.

Go gas!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
28-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Barbecues
Well what a timely thread Ceri! I've just done my first BBQ of the season ... and jolly lovely it was too!

I've got a gas BBQ and it is so easy, a real pleasure to use. I like the ordinary ones but as a mere female I'm not sure I would be able to light it properly! ... neither would I be fagged to use it so often.

I'm with fee ... go gas!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
28-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Barbecues
Me and Mr G got a little (charcoal) BBQ set last summer, and have still not used it. Maybe one day - but we don't want to rudh in to anything! Big Grin

Gel x
28-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Barbecues
I have never done a BBQ.

I bought one of those disposable ones last year and never got round to using it.
Then today I thought Oooh I'll do a Barbie today.
I love the smell of a barbie going and the taste of the food.

But to be honest I can't be bothered with all the mess and fuss of it all, so we had an indoor barbie, in the oven.:laugh:

Mr A. doesn't like barbies either, thinks he's gonna get food poisining from it.

Sorry Ceri, I'm not really helping much with your question am I?
But I wouldn't have a clue anyway:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
29-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Barbecues
Ceri - we have always had a charcoal one, and it is a bit knackered and old now. But given the choice if I was going to buy one - I reckon I would get a gas one. I cannot tell the difference in taste - and the gas ones are easier to clean and can do far more fandangled things nowadays!!

But you could always settle for a tin bin lid over some charcoal - works great for mussels!!:pimp:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

29-05-2005, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2005 09:15 AM by mazwad.)
Barbecues
Barbecues always seem to be a bit of a man thing they stand there doing all the meat cooking and taking all the praise forgettting that we have done the shopping for it, part cooked the food for safetys sake and prepared all the salad etc to go with it. Not to mention the cleaning up afterwardswhen they decide they have worn themselves out with all that cooking.

I can't taste any difference between food cooked on gas ones or charcoal so would go for the easier gas option.
29-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Barbecues
Definitely go gas Ceri. For speed and convenience and it tastes no different. Believe me, Mr P is a fussy beggar and he swears by it.
29-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Barbecues
I would NEVER buy gas BBQ. We have tonnes of BBQ's and i luv em. I really do think charcoal ones make the meat taste nicer. My parents have a gas one, and i dont enjoy their meals half as much as ours.

I think the eating / cooking outside should be about trying something different. If i wanted to cook by gas i would go inside and turn the oven on. I want to be a cave woman and stoke up the charcoal and slap half a cow on it. Fan-bluddy-tastic.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
29-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Barbecues
But Bonnie - the gas ones do have charcoal (well. lava rocks) - so all the gas does is heat them up. And you can still put hickory chips and so on on top.

End result's still the same - incinerated on the outside, raw in the middle and pizza in the oven.

:laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]