Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barcelona versus Venice
19-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Barcelona versus Venice

Aer Lungus are offering flights to Barcelona and Venice for €70.00 return and I want to go to one of them for my birthday weekend in December.:cold:

Haven't been to either so any info would help make the decision.

fanku.

bam bam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Barcelona versus Venice
Barcelona. Much drier and not as smelly. Smile
20-10-2007, 05:18 AM
Barcelona versus Venice
Barcelona. Cleaner and more to do
20-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Barcelona versus Venice
^ ^
And what she said. You will love the Gaudi buildings and Parc Guel is amazing. Loads of bars to keep warm in, too.

Can't speak for Venice, but I've heard it's best to go when it's not too hot as the smell is a bit strong (so December should be fine). There again, you do live with Urk. Big Grin
20-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Barcelona versus Venice
Barthelona every time. The Spanish are so much more chilled than the Italians.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
21-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Barcelona versus Venice
We've been too both places several times and to be honest, I think either would be great. If Venice attracts you, don't be put off my rumours that the place is smelly - that might have been true once, but I think the Italians have done a lot of work in recent yeards to clean the Venetian waterways. The last time we were there was 3 years ago in July on the hottest day of the year and it certainly didn't smell.

Venice is the prettier of the two Cities - lots of winding alleyways cute shops. It is also the smallest and probably the more "doable" if you are going for a relaxing weekend. St Marks Square at Christmas would be beautiful. One the downside, it is definitely the more touristy (although I doubt you'll have hoardes in December), it's pretty pricey and is prone to flooding during the winter. However, I would say that November-May is the best time to see Venice, because it's much quieter. During holiday season Venice is completely overrun with crowds.

In Barcelona you would have stacks to do - too much to manage in a weekend really. Its a really cosmopolitan City with great bars, great food and fantastic shoppping - lots to entertain. You could also be quite lucky with the weather. We were last there in early January for my birthday, and it was really sunny and on a couple of days. I have pictures of us walking down the beach and eating lunch outside at a cafe wearing t-shirts and sunglasses. In January.

Let us know what you decide. Eitehr way, I'm envious.
24-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Barcelona versus Venice
Fanks for all the info lads. Urk has decided he'd like to see Venice so I've booked us two flights for 30th November - hurrah...

Got to find a hotel now. Apparantly the closer to St Marks Square the dearer they are, but I don't fancy too much trekking around in the cold...

Should be quieter this time of year though.

The rooms at the Cipriani start at £700 a night.

That's a lot of washing up.

bam bam
24-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Barcelona versus Venice
You could sing for your supper. More plates shattered, fewer to wash up.
:w00t:
25-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Barcelona versus Venice
Thank you Pats Dahling.:mad2:

Anyhoo - got a hotel last night. It's on Grand Canal at Rialto Bridge and costs e160.00 a night. Apparantly that's cheap for Venice....:mellow:

but it is a 4 star, full brekkie included and they throw in a free trip to Murano island where they make the luvverly glass, and a free music night with a harp and string quartet and drinkiepoos on the saturday night....

feel all classy already......

Jaykers, I'd better buy a posh dress........:laugh:

bam bam
26-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Barcelona versus Venice
5:03pm and on the vino already ??

Figaro Wrote:....... If Venice attracts you, don't be put off my rumours that the place is smelly ........

...... St Marks Square at Christmas would be beautiful. One the downside, it is definitely the more touristy .......

Yet to do Venice but done Barca several times now.

If and when you do come to do Barca you should decide before you go what you want from that trip as there is Soooo much to do. My experience is that there are in essence three different Barca's. The first trip people tend do is the 7 wonders (Gaudi buildings x4/Piccasso Gallery/Cathedral/Parc) and wander the old town in the evening. Then you have the more modern Barca of Progressive art Galleries/Beach/Dali/Shopping/Clubs etc and finally there is the been there done that trip where you tend to laze about and amble from one gastro experience to the next throughout the day.

Let us know about Venice

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh