Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Brother Is Watching You!
25-04-2005, 02:25 PM

Today at work we had an email from the team managers to say that they had decided to have a floating supervisor in additon to the normal supervisors that we could go to for help! This floating supervisor would just walk up and down the call centre and you could call on them at anytime.

Well when the first supervisor (a good mate of mine) started walking around, when she got to our table we were just having a laugh with her as she said she felt stupid, we all agreed that she did look stupid. I said it was like working in exam conditions having someone walking up and down checking that we weren't cheating. Anyway when the next supervisor came around, we were joking with her that perhaps we should have a light above our computers and just stitch it on if we needed help to save her the leg work of walking up and down. She replied well yes that would be a good idea but it would have to flash when we weren't working so she would know. As soon as she said it she knew she had said to much but it was obvious to us anyway that the supervivors weren't just walking around to see if they could help but to check up on what everyone is doing!

If it is not enough, that they check how long we are on each call, how long we take to update the system, how long we take to go to the toilet and get drinks, as well as monitoring our calls, without this. Next they will be getting us to put up our hands if we need to leave our seats for any reason..... Ok some people do take the **** and leave others to do all the work like everywhere but why should everyone be treated as though we are unable to get on and work without someone breathing down our neck! It is only my department that are treated like this, none of the other departments in Customer Service are and then they wonder why morale is low and the sickness levels are high!

Doesn't anyone else have to work under these conditions, is Big Brother watching every move you make?
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Mmmmm, and establishments wonder why so much staff go off sick or move!! Is it any wonder when they can't even trust you? I think it is disgusting, I mean they probably have so many tabs on you as it is, checking your phones, emails etc.

I remember that when I was working we had a change of managment and he came down waving the big white stick, he treated us like army cadets and everything we done had to be noted.........even going to the toilet!!! It lasted about a couple of weeks or so, when it soon became clear that all was not happy! We complained to his boss, who in turn had a wee quiet word in his ear. All credit it to him though as he did apologise and he took us all out for a drink, and although there were a few blips now & again, it was a much better place to work.

Employers have to realise that they have to trust their staff, they have to treat them like adults and not have this Big Brother attitude towards them. A happy workforce is a productive workforce. Hope you can all work something out.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2005, 03:02 PM
ILS, do they check how many times you come onto the SO Forum during working hours??? If so, you're finished missis !!! :w00t:

Seriously though, it does sound like they are treating you like children. Dont you have a Union where you could all lodge a complaint and ask to be treated like adults?

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
25-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Pandora Wrote:ILS, do they check how many times you come onto the SO Forum during working hours??? If so, you're finished missis !!! :w00t:

Seriously though, it does sound like they are treating you like children. Dont you have a Union where you could all lodge a complaint and ask to be treated like adults?

I am sure they do check that Pandora, they check everything else!

It is worse than being at school! We do have a union but they don't seem very effective. I am seeing one of my mates tomorrow, who is a union rep so I will have a word with her about it!
25-04-2005, 07:07 PM
A labour government - which purports to represent the working man and woman - has presided over a country which now has the longest working hours in Europe, the most stressed workforce, and a slave-driver ethic which would put the owners of a Victorian cotton mill to shame.

But hey, things can only get better....
25-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Big Brother tries to watch us but because he is such an idiot most of us simply ignore him anyway!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
25-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Ils this is exactly what it was like when i worked in a call centre.
They could tell how long we were on each call, what we were doing on each call, how many orders we had took, how many pairs of plastic pants we had sold, if we were pressing "mute" on our phones to talk to the person beside us...all without leaving their computer.

I was constantly pulled up for pressing mute and talking to people beside me and not listening to the caller :mellow:

Also once i got a call monitored and then was taken into a room and shown the report of my call which said: "Agent didn't even try to disguise the fact that he was eating whilst taking this call" :ninja:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
25-04-2005, 10:19 PM
When I handed in my notice to my previous company to leave to work for where I now do, I was moved to their call centre so I couldn't do any damage where I was working............it sounds paranoid I know but people had actually been known to sabotage things once they were leaving.

Once I got to the call centre, I was appalled - I now know I couldn't possibly work in one if they are all the same and nothing I have heard about them since has changed my opinion of them. I went to the loo once with very bad period pains & when I got back to my desk, the shift supervisor rang me to ask why I had taken so long!!! I was stunned but when I recovered I told him EXACTLY why. He was very embarrassed.

I know, I know - it wasn't big & it wasn't clever but I felt SO much better after doing it.

You have all my sympathies ILS

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
26-04-2005, 06:17 AM
I had a job many years for 2 sisters who had set up their own hotel/conference booking agency, based up north but branched out to Bedford. It would have been quite a nice interestering job under other circumstancers - you actually got to visit a lot of hotels - free meals and accomodation. Once we stayed in a Top london hotel where we had a wonder full meal, my embarassment was saved by a very kind waiter when he saw me sat there looking perplexed at all the knifes and faulks stretching far to my left and right - but thats another story.

BUT...to increase profit you had to make your phone calls the shortest you could even on the point of being rude, if someone asked you how you were you just ignored them and moved on to the next question...Date - rooms available - book it. They would sit there looking at you doing that cut throat had sign, or wind it up all the time.

When we visited the hotels, we weren't allowed to speak and were marched round like a group of school children.

I walked out after 2 months.

I went on to greater things and became in International Sales Excecutive for the Local Radio Station.
26-04-2005, 07:07 AM
PJ Wrote:Also once i got a call monitored and then was taken into a room and shown the report of my call which said: "Agent didn't even try to disguise the fact that he was eating whilst taking this call" :ninja:

LOL Peej!! :laugh: You are a right hoot! I don't know how you stuck it, especially when you were training to be a dentist, I would have told them to shove their job where the sun don't shine! :devil:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big brother Audition Cockney 24 1,839 05-03-2006 02:26 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  Celebrity Big Brother 2006 Cat 3 660 28-12-2005 09:08 PM
Last Post: Cat