Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Brother. Opium for the masses.
06-06-2006, 05:14 PM

I was way into the last BB when I was in England.

Now I am very relieved to not be exposed to it.

Is there some sort of evil thing going on where our lives get distracted from the important into a show which, lets admit it, is a high for a short period of time then forever forgotten? Like opium or any other drug?

Should it be banned?

If I ran a country as the Supreme Dictator, BB would be banned. Why? Because it has no contribution to society whatsoever.

Discuss! (although I am talking to addicts. I was there too. But I haven't watched BB TODAY! Persons aquanted with AA will understand that)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Its a tv show that is a talking point for many. people like looking at people and making comment, feeling better than them - just like soap operas. its normal, healthy and fun.

what is worrying is that you are having fantasies about being a supreme dictator:wacko:

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2006, 07:12 AM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:Its a tv show that is a talking point for many. people like looking at people and making comment, feeling better than them - just like soap operas. its normal, healthy and fun.

what is worrying is that you are having fantasies about being a supreme dictator:wacko:

I can't really agree that it's healthy!

I watched for the first time recently, and the amount of nastiness going on was really very unpleasant, and I actually felt bad about myself for watching it.

I think the trouble is that what started as an interesting social experiment to see how a group of relatively normal people dealt with being confined together has deteriorated to the stage where people now seem to need fights and unpleasantness to entertain them.

Can't help thinking of the Romans' games where the crowd's lust for blood necessitated more and more elaborate and bloody spectacles to satisfy them.

What others me a bit is how the unpleasantness can spread. For instance, some of the women on the show were making nasty comments about the mixed-up transvestite's physical appearance and if you look at the Sam thread here someof our posters are doing the same thing.

In answer to Guat's question I'd say yes, this is a kind of opiate, it's what viewers seem to need to keep them going and like any drug there are withdrawal symptoms when it ends.

Mind you, the same could be said of many shows, like the World Cup, it's just that for me the latest BB seems, like opium, no only to hypnotise the viewers, it has the potential to do a lot of damage as well.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
08-06-2006, 08:19 AM
yes but what damage. what is the real danger. there is none. no point saying that its this and its that if you cant actually say what it is doing and to whom?

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
gatubela Wrote:Big Brother. Opium for the masses.
Hmmm does that mean that I'm a celebrity is the methadone of the masses? :wacko:

Does it mean that religion is the Big Brother of the masses? :wacko:

Does it mean that opium is the Big Brother of the few? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Still Big Brother does serves one vitally important purpose - it keeps millions of Britons sitting docile on the settee watching the goggle box every evening of the week. Otherwise they'd likely be out binge drinking, or nicking cars, or joining the Animal Liberation Front or somesuch.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
08-06-2006, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2006 12:47 PM by survivorfan.)
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:yes but what damage. what is the real danger. there is none. no point saying that its this and its that if you cant actually say what it is doing and to whom?

If you're saying that my post was pointless, you're not the first to say that about my efforts so no doubt you're dead right.

You ask what is the real danger, I can only go from my own impressions, and a couple of things spring to mind although if I thought about it a bit more no doubt there would be others.

Firstly, the programme immediately promotes nonentities to the level of celebrity, with all the accompanying crowd hysteria and follow-on fame, which to my mind is a corruption of proper values ... it's the idolising of trash.

Secondly, using what I've seen in this series as an example, there is a lot of viciousness onscreen, which judging by comments made here is seen by many as good entertainment. Again I think this a damaging thing, because to get enjoyment out of such behaviour, and the associated misery it brings, is also a kind of corruption of human values.

You also ask who is being affected, I'm afraid I can only make a generalisation because as far as I know nobody is keeping a database of names and addresses, but if there was one I'm sure the list would be too long to publish here.

Finally, and keeping with the OPiate theme, when you say 'what is the real danger. there is none' it makes me think that as a fan of the show you might be too immersed in it to take an objective view, after all, we all know that there are drug addicts who maintain that their habit is harmless, despite evidence to the contrary.

08-06-2006, 02:49 PM
gatubela Wrote:I was way into the last BB when I was in England.

Now I am very relieved to not be exposed to it.

Is there some sort of evil thing going on where our lives get distracted from the important into a show which, lets admit it, is a high for a short period of time then forever forgotten? Like opium or any other drug?

Should it be banned?

If I ran a country as the Supreme Dictator, BB would be banned. Why? Because it has no contribution to society whatsoever.

Discuss! (although I am talking to addicts. I was there too. But I haven't watched BB TODAY! Persons aquanted with AA will understand that)

But who says that everything we watch has to make a contribution to society. If that were true we couldn't watch anything other than documentaries.

Big Brother is an education in how people interact. It doesn't make us bad people for watching. Most of us have the "OMG did he/she really say/do that?" reaction. These people are the way they are and we are interested, entertained and sometimes repelled by what we see.

We, the viewers, aren't asking for bloodshed but if there's going to be any lots of people want to see what's going on. That's human nature too as witness the people who rubberneck an accident or stand and watch a fight outside a pub.

We all have choices, we can watch or we can walk away from it.

Of course people will comment on the physical and mental attributes of people on there in the same way that we comment about characters in the soaps or any fictional work. Who has never said "Did you see ??? on TV last night, didn't they look awful" or "What on earth was ??? wearing". Human nature again to see if other people share the same views as us.

As for the sudden rise to fame of non-entities, well that happens anyway, as in someone suddenly dating a footballer and becoming front page news, or unknown pop groups suddenly having a number 1 hit and being idolised by their fans.

I just don't see that BB is any worse than any other TV entertainment or what goes on in real life to be honest.
08-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Critique Wrote:Who has never said "Did you see ??? on TV last night, didn't they look awful" or "What on earth was ??? wearing". .

I never have.

08-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Critique Wrote:Big Brother is an education in how people interact.

Are you sure you're not just dressing up your own desire to play the voyeur by saying it's educational? Really, what have you learned?

The thing is, this isn't a fly on the wall documentary, it isn't 'reality' at all. It's a bunch of wannabees who have been selectively chosen to give the best mix for TV, not a random section of the public. And throughout the programme they will be stage managed to 'perform' for the audience. It's a game show dressed up as 'reality'. If you want a slice of reality to learn from surely you're better off looking at the people down your own street?

08-06-2006, 07:19 PM
survivorfan Wrote:Are you sure you're not just dressing up your own desire to play the voyeur by saying it's educational? Really, what have you learned?

Why would I want to dress up any desire to play the voyeur. Everyone is a voyeur to some extent. We watch programs about grossly overweight people, conjoined twins, cosmetic surgery. This, too is voyeuristic by your definition. We wouldn't be able to watch if these people didn't want us to. If they don't mind then why should we feel guilty? Anyway, I would define "voyeur" in the real sense as more like being a peeping tom and no one can be accused of that when they know that we're all watching.

survivorfan Wrote:The thing is, this isn't a fly on the wall documentary, it isn't 'reality' at all. It's a bunch of wannabees who have been selectively chosen to give the best mix for TV, not a random section of the public. And throughout the programme they will be stage managed to 'perform' for the audience. It's a game show dressed up as 'reality'. If you want a slice of reality to learn from surely you're better off looking at the people down your own street?

So what? I know what I'm watching and I choose to in the same way that you might choose to watch a war film or a murder mystery which is "pretend" reality.

It wouldn't be much fun watching the closed front doors of the people down my street, believe me.

I just don't understand why people have to take on the "I wouldn't watch that rubbish" attitude just because they don't like something themselves.

It's fine to say you don't enjoy watching something but what isn't fine is trying to belittle people that do by inferring that they're mindless idiots.

I can't understand how millions of people will be watching men running up and down a football field chasing a ball but they enjoy it so I wouldn't presume to tell them that they should find a better way of spending their time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Brother - The Winner's Week - tonight C4, 9pm Dolores 11 4,161 29-08-2006 12:46 PM
Last Post: floopy
  Big Brother's Little Sister. borneobabe 4 2,347 21-08-2006 04:09 PM
Last Post: floopy
  Big Brother. A fix? Figaro 8 2,739 18-08-2006 10:18 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  Big Brother Quiz floopy 4 2,081 17-08-2006 10:18 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  More Big Brother HMs Movie Posters.... Pandora 1 723 12-07-2006 06:32 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  Big Brother Australia (threads merged) Seabreeze 7 1,309 10-07-2006 03:55 PM
Last Post: Aondeag
  Big Brother Movie Posters Pandora 4 1,150 08-07-2006 11:19 AM
Last Post: Critique
  What attracts the viewers to big brother? Northern angel 6 1,197 24-06-2006 12:25 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Huge Big Brother contradiction borneobabe 4 920 11-06-2006 02:37 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  Big Brother Film Posters Pandora 5 1,344 05-06-2006 07:06 PM
Last Post: Cat