Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big chill to hit Britain
11-10-2005, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2005 11:40 AM by Eternity.)
Big chill to hit Britain

Weather experts fear Britain will be gripped by the coldest winter for a decade - and it could endanger energy supplies.

The Met Office has put the energy industry, the NHS and the Government on high alert.
There even are concerns the nation could run out of fuel - gas supplies are much lower than elsewhere in Europe.

The Times says the government will hold an emergency meeting of industry and energy company leaders next month.

Sir Digby Jones, director general of the CBI, said: "If we have a cold winter, we are going to throw the switch: businesses will shut down."

The National Grid has reportedly formulated emergency plans to ensure supply is maintained to homeowners.

Manufacturers and other large gas consumers will be required to shut down factories on particularly cold days.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30...43,00.html

Hmm, well we are now in mid October, and I am still not into jackets, short sleeved tops are the order of the day as yet, and a fan on at bedtime to cool down! :thumbsup:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Big chill to hit Britain
I get really cross with all this scare mongering. Wasnt this summer supposed to be the hottest on record? I remember the day of a friends boat trip it was purported to be 100deg and it rained all day and didnt get above 70. And what about global warming? I dunno!!
11-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Big chill to hit Britain
Exactly Maria - I have never know an October so warm!

Long may it remain so too! :thumbsup:

11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
Well according to the bushes it is likely to be cold - but aren't most winters? The hawthorns, hollies and hedgrerows are laden with berries, a general sign of a cold winter.

I can't be doing with this scaremongering either [btw Nitty I couldn't read the link!], it does do however to be forewarned - so people can not forget to get their oil tanks filled up, but a little bit extra away to cover extra fuel bills or buy some thermal knickers etc.

And I put a t-shirt and a rugby shirt on this morning to pop out shopping, and I was just sweltering, it isn't exactly hot - but it is certainly warm, if not muggy!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
Its very hot at the moment. When i walked the dog last night i came home boiling hot, and sweaty and yuck :sick:

They normally say we will have a bad winter every year - and it never happens. I agree though that we should be prepared, but then we should do that every winter. The trouble in this country is the 1st sign of snow and the whole of the UK grinds to a halt. Its sooo annoying.

Last winter we had a couple of weeks of a small smattering of snow - but the trains stopped at least once due to frozen tracks, and the roads were empty because people stayed at home, and a lot of the shops were shut !!! The only time our office closed early was the day we collected Bailey. The snow started at 9am, and continued steadily until 2pm. It was quite thick, so the boss sent me home. But by the time i got home it had stopped and the started thawing. So i still managed to collect the dog Smile

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
11-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
The link works fine for me Flip....must be just you! Smile

The trees up here were laden with Rowan berries up till a few weeks ago, when they were stripped bare by huge flocks of starlings. I watched in bewilderment as they shredded one tree in a couple of minutes - it was like a swarm of locusts.

Someone else was saying they had seen a few odd happenings with nature, birds and animals lately...wonder if my old mate Bill Fogget is still alive in Thirsk, he was 99% right on his predictions, but if he's still alive he will be in his 90's now. Clever old fella he was, even the long range forcasters would use him as a guideline.

11-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
If it's going to be the coldest winter in a decade it shouldn't be too bad. Even our most severe winters seem mild compared with what many European countries and North America have to face every year.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
survivorfan Wrote:If it's going to be the coldest winter in a decade it shouldn't be too bad. Even our most severe winters seem mild compared with what many European countries and North America have to face every year.

Totally agree, people annoy me when they said "its freezing" when its just a bit chilly. Should go and live in Scandanavia then they would realise what being "freezing" really is!!!!
11-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
Well, I for one hope it's freezing with lots of snow- that's the way winter's meant to be!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
11-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Big chill to hit Britain
Me too PJ. I LOVE Winter....and the colder the better (within reason of course. -10 is too much).

I like cold snowy winters. Mild winers just disappoint me. I like winter clothes (boots especially), cosy fires, warm baths, dark cold nights, snow and winter food (stews, pies and soup in particular). I love the long break at Christmas and the fact that its my birthday in winter (well, I don't like the increasing age - but the presents are cool). And I love the feeling of coming into a warm room when its frezzing cold outside.

Roll on Winter. And it BETTER be a cold one.

I wore my sexy black boots todays. Well - its the middle of October after all. I was sweltering! I am most miffed about it.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Little Britain's French Invasion Slipper 13 1,413 06-07-2006 01:56 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze