Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bless you...
29-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Bless you...

are you someone who says "bless you" when someone, anyone, you may not even know them sneezes within earshot?

I never say "bless you" and I'm never sure what to say when people say it to me.

If you are a "bless you-er" do you get annoyed when people don't "bless you" back?

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Bless you...
I say 'Bless You' most of the time when people sneeze but am not bothered about if people say it to me...although I have been known to say 'Bless Me' when I sneeze Blush

Should I say it around you Dol or will I get thumped? :surrender:

Thank-you is the standard and accepted reply when someone say's bless you to you!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
29-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Bless you...
I have been known to just shout " shut up " at Mr. SB when he sneezes more than once when I`m watching something good on tv. Apart from that I don`t think I really say it any more
Find all posts by this user
29-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Bless you...
Yes Dol ,
we all know what you do you snot bogey's on ladies sitting in front of you at Wimbledon. And i bet you did'nt say Bless Me.Tongue

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
29-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Bless you...
Coastie Wrote:Thank-you is the standard and accepted reply when someone say's bless you to you!

But isn't that bad luck? Every time you say "thank you", you kill a fairy or something. :unsure:

I say "bless you" and have been known to bless complete strangers, it just depends on my mood.

I don't say "bless me" when I sneeze, though. I say "excuse me". Even when no-one's around. I'm mad, me. [Image: lazy3.gif]
29-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Bless you...
Patsy Wrote:But isn't that bad luck? Every time you say "thank you", you kill a fairy or something. :unsure:

I say "bless you" and have been known to bless complete strangers, it just depends on my mood.

I don't say "bless me" when I sneeze, though. I say "excuse me". Even when no-one's around. I'm mad, me. :bored:

No a fairy dies when you say you don't believe in them...although I do remember hearing somewhere that it is bad luck to say thank-you after a bless you has been received...however since I don't believe in luck I say say it anyway...although you could use 'Thanks' I s'pose or 'cheers'! :laugh:

The bless you comes from old times when it was believed that every time you sneezed a demon was leaving your body or something and so those around you would bless you as you were in someway purified!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
29-06-2006, 05:47 PM
Bless you...
I thought it was in case you had the plague.

Like ring-a-ring of roses. :unsure:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
29-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Bless you...
Yeah...I've heard that to but I think one came before the other...I'm not sure which!:unsure:

29-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Bless you...
I think it was a mutated chicken, bless it.
30-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Bless you...
Bless you is a common English expression used to wish a person well after sneezing.
There are many theories regarding the origin of this custom.
One traditional explanation for the custom is that it began literally as a blessing. Pope Gregory I the Great (AD 540-604) ascended to the Papacy just in time for the start of the bubonic plague in AD 590 (his successor succumbed to it). To combat the plague, Gregory ordered litanies, processions and unceasing prayer for God's intercession. When someone sneezed (seen as the initial onset of the plague), they were immediately blessed ("God bless you!") in the hope that they would not actually develop the disease. [citation needed]
Nevertheless the phrase bless you or god bless you in Greek literature predates the ascention of Gregory.
"Bless you, my dear!" he said, and "bless you, bless you!" at the second and third sneeze.
-- Apuleius, The Golden Ass, AD 150[citation needed]
Superstition
Other theories are based on superstitions and urban legends about sneezing and what a sneeze entails. Some well known superstitions that may have contributed to bringing bless you into common use are:
* The heart stops when you sneeze (it doesn't), and the phrase bless you is meant to ensure the return of life or to encourage your heart to continue beating.
* A sneeze is the expulsion of some sort of evil, and the phrase is meant to ward off the evil's re-entry.
* Your soul can be thrown from your body when you sneeze, and saying bless you prevents your soul from being stolen by Satan or some evil spirit. Thus, bless you or God bless you is used as a sort of shield against evil.
* A sneeze is good luck and saying "bless you" is no more than recognition of the sneezer's luckiness.
Alternatively, it may be possible that the phrase began rather uninterestingly as a response for an event that wasn't well understood at the time.
Another urban legend states that you cannot open your eyes while you sneeze, or if you manage to your eyes will pop out. This is, as stated, nothing more than an urban legend.
Modern use
In many English-speaking countries, the German equivalent, gesundheit (which roughly translated means "good health!") is proffered after sneezing.
In some parts of Australia, the expression is also used when a person belches or breaks wind; this usage is primarily an indication that the blesser has not been offended by the gaseous expulsions of the blessee.

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure: