Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloggers anonymity blown
16-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Bloggers anonymity blown

Today saw a likely landmark ruling on blogging anonymity - a policeman who had made an anonymous blog - which diclosed the problems, cockups and frustrations in his work, for which he won an Orwell award - had his anonymity breached in a legal ruling.

This means that he was identified, and of course his police force employers have subsequently disciplined him for his (anonymous) disclosures, which by and large had the theme of suggesting that the police force (funded by us) was something of a crock.

I'm in two minds about this. For one thing, I feel that if there are accusations to be made, one should be honest and forthcoming - however, realistically I recognise that especially in public services that whistleblowing is all but impossible and that blogging provides both an escapist and therapeutic blastoff for a constrained employee and a service to those who both receive that service and fund it - ie: all of us.

I am a regular reader of numerous similar blogs: eg PC Copperfield, Frank Chalk, Dr Crippen and Militant Nurse. They all give that unique perspective and frustration of their jobs which I think helps me to a/ want better value from my taxes, from the managers who control them, and b/ appreciate their difficulties should I ever be a user of their services.

I'd like such blogging to stay - yet with today's ruling, I fear it may go.

What does everyone else think?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is anonymity correct? Lugger Buggs 22 3,193 02-03-2005 03:45 PM
Last Post: cayman-eater