Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood doning
06-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Blood doning

I gave blood today, I am ashamed to say for the first time in my life. I always meant to do it but never got round to it and then I thought I was too old.

They were asking at work for people to volunteer as they needed at least 30 to get the mobile unit there. I kind of made up for my past lazeiness by nagging people to sign up.

We got about 35 in the end although some were rejected for various reasons. I was amazed at how many people refused on the grounds that they hated needles, does anyone like needles.

I posed them the question that if they won a foreign holiday to exotic climes and had to have the jabs needed to go, would they. I got quite a few to sign up this way and they all said today they were glad they did, some who were refused, admitted to being upset that they couldn't rather than relieved.

I felt fine afterwards but then unusually tired this evening, went to bed earlier and slept for a couple of hours. So is it normal to feel tired a few hours after? Do many of you give blood?

I am sure that had the unit not come to my workplace I would never have got round to it and that makes me ashamed of my lazeiness.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Blood doning
yes I have given blood in the past when the company I worked for organised the vans to come round - like your firm did Maz.

But I have to say since I changed jobs and have to make the effort to go to the community hall on my own time I don't bother - but I know I should, I just never seem to have the time - a pathetic excuse and I will try and do better next time they are in town!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Blood doning
I would love to give blood but they wont't take me unless I put on some weight! Wine has loads of calories so hopefully one day soon I will give my blooed!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
07-10-2006, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2006 04:54 AM by Coastie.)
Blood doning
Well done Mazzaroo! Not just for giving blood but for roping others in aswell! :good: Excellent! It can make you feel a little tired (esspecially after the first time) however ensure you drink a sweet drink and eat a biscuit or two straight after and don't over do it for the rest of the day!

It was Mama Coastie who got me hooked, so to speak, saddly she hasn't been able to donate for a while but is hoping to return soon as.

I have given blood regularly since I was 18 and allowed to do so...I have had to miss a few sessions over the years due to illness, travels, work etc. but generally go whenever I'm called for...once or twice a year...I always try and remember to take a book though as it can take anything from 90mins to 3hrs to get through (3hrs is the longest it took me once) but they are getting faster! :thumbsup:

Apparently it also good for you to let blood every now and then...so you can push that aswell next time Maz!

I am trying to rope a friend in but she feels physically sick just thinking about the needle going into her arm...I shall continue nagging her though!

You can also sign up to become a bone marrow donor at blood letting stations...I signed up a while ago but haven't received a call yet although they say it is about 1,000,000/1 or something that there is a match out there...still I say it's there if anyone needs it!

Oh and if you carry a donor card don't forget to tell your relatives/next of kin your wishes...although you can back up the card with a call to some central NHS register or something now apparently but no NHS staffer I've spoken to seems to be able to remember the number!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
07-10-2006, 07:53 AM
Blood doning
Bella Wrote:I would love to give blood but they wont't take me unless I put on some weight!

Me too, Bella. :bag:
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Blood doning
After I gave blood for the first time I nearly fainted and had to stay there for another hour while they checked I wasn't having a bad reaction to it or something. But it was definately worthwhile and I found out what my blood type is - A Positive - isn't that cool...:thumbsup:
07-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Blood doning
I'm waiting for your post Maxine - come on share!
07-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Blood doning
I have done it lots in the past but not for the last couple of years, there's a mobile unit that comes to Wick but I never seem to find out until it's too late - I really must change my address with them, I think they must have a really old one.

I had complications after having Samuel and had to have an operation, and although I didn't end up having a transfusion I remember the doctor yelling for someone to get blood just in case so I know how important it is.

I did the bone marrow thing too Coastie and have never been summoned.
07-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Blood doning
I gave blood last year for the first time. I remember I went out drinking after it (even though I was told not to...) and I felt really tired and drunk after only a few drinks so it was a cheap night! Should maybe do that more often...

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Blood doning
Dolores Wrote:I'm waiting for your post Maxine - come on share!

Oh, ok. Although I'm sure I must've mentioned this before.

I've only given blood once and had a bad experience and so have never been back since.

As the blood was being taken, the part of my arm surrounding the needle swelled up. I didn't notice for a little while as I was looking the other way. It was only when one of the nurses came over and then called someone else over that I looked. It made me feel quite nauseous.

It didn't hurt at all but I was left which a horrible bruise covering half my arm. I suppose they must've put the needle thing in wrong.

It's a shame I'm such a coward as, having 0 negative blood, mine is highly sought after.

Still, I did get extra biscuits. Every cloud...