Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books I would recommend - and why.
14-09-2006, 06:00 PM

I know we have a thread for books you are reading, but if you're anything like me only one in ten might be special enough to recommend.

So this is for books that have that something extra special.

I recently read The Mongolian Connection by Scott Christiansen. It's a crime story but one with difference. Firstly the setting, which takes the main character from the USA to Mongolia, and secondly the writing, this is a very well written and insightful book.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2006, 10:35 PM
One of my all-time favourites is The Tin Men by Michael Frayn. It's a wee bit outdated as the computers it features are all the size of houses, but it's the way he takes normality and lets it disintegrate into chaos that makes me laugh out loud.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
16-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm finding the Peter Robinson "Inspector Banks" series a good fill-in for Ian Rankin's "Rebus". I was hoping it would turn out well as the book store had a "Buy 5 paperbacks for the price of 4" deal and I found 3 on the display table up front and went and pulled the other 2 they had from the "Mystery" shelf. I've been impressed so far...WHEN I have the time to read!!

I also like Michael Connelly's series...they are very engrossing.

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
17-09-2006, 10:04 AM
MSG - do you think there's a general difference in style beween British and American crime writing, and do you have a preference?

17-09-2006, 12:31 PM
If you like a good crime thriller I would recommend anything by Karin Slaughter...she is fantastic! :good: - although do try and read her stuff in order as they kinda follow on! Wink

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Coastie - American or British? And what makes her books special?

17-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Sorry SF...I was going to go on but had to do that work thingie....

Right...she is American and writes crime thrillers.

She has writen 4 books in the series so far which basically follow a peadiatric doctor through a series of murders in her home town.

She smacks you in the face within the first two pages and you simply cannot put the book down thereafter.

You must read them in order to gt the full effect but prepare to have you stomache truned by some of the scenes she describes and enjoy the twists and turns that occur throughout. By far the best writer of this genre I have ever read...

Her books in order:

Blindsighted 2001

Kisscut 2002

A Faint Cold Fear 2003

Indelible 2004

Faithless

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
18-09-2006, 01:13 AM
SF-I love the 'transporting' of the British thrillers...the language and locations, I like to see how the things are done differently, etc. My fave British mystery writers are Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, and Val McDermid.

The American thrillers can be formulaic, if you know what I mean...you kinda figure it out early and certain writers really keep the same plot with few variations. I love Michael Connelly and a couple of others that elude me at the second...but I seem to PREFER the British ones, especially since I'm dug in with this 'Inspector Banks' series find.

Coaster-my co-worker LOVES Karen Slaughter...she reads her and a ton of other female mystery writers.

18-09-2006, 02:11 PM
On that note I love Agatha Christie, except I think I've read most of them now Sad

There's a book called The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, which I love, it's one of the very few books I've kept over the years (because of my habit of frequently moving I like to buy books from Chrity Shops and drop them back there when I've finished). It's a time travel book, but not in a majorly sci-fi way, it's more involved in the characters.

I also love The Secret History by Donna Tartt, although I've not read the other one she had published (forgotten the name).
08-10-2006, 02:48 AM
Oh Samm, I LOVE Donna Tartt...the other book is called "The Little Friend" and is set in Mississippi (Cool ) and was really good...kinda spooky wierd but good!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Books 2011 rangi2011 1 1,308 01-04-2011 05:16 AM
Last Post: rangi2011
  Your 5 Favourite books as a child Crystal Lights 47 6,515 24-05-2007 04:42 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Top Books floopy 8 1,638 30-08-2006 01:14 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  You & books in general... Coastie 58 4,928 10-04-2006 06:15 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Bog Books! Coastie 2 1,115 26-04-2005 10:05 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  Which books have given you nightmares? waylander 19 2,559 13-04-2005 03:33 PM
Last Post: MariaRob
  What Cook Books to you have in your Kitchen? Bella 26 3,261 07-04-2005 08:50 PM
Last Post: Bob