Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottle and Dummies
28-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Bottle and Dummies

A bit of research if you wouldn't mind.

At what age did you stop giving your children dummies and/or bottles?

And how did you go about doing it?

Short sharp shock treatment of just stopping it one day, or did you do it gradually over time?

Did anyone use a tooth-fairy type idea? Swapping dummies for a present?

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Bottle and Dummies
My daughter never had a dummy she preferred to scream her head off.

My son gave up his dummy on his second birthday. He'd only been having it at night for about a year and we told him that he was a big boy now and didn't need a dummy and he put it in the bin himself and never asked for it again.

I think it would be hard taking it away from one too young to understand why, but obviously they'd soon get over it, just be prepared for a lot of tears.

I can't remember about the bottles but I do know mine used a feeder cup for far too long mainly cos of my husband's obsessive fear of spillages which he got from his mother.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Bottle and Dummies
Floopy, I didn't use dummies for either of my girls, they just wouldn't take them! Although I do have friends whose kids had them and it varied, I know one little boy still had his dummy when he went to nursery at 3 and a half but he was not allowed to use it at nursery and I think he soon realised that ne didn't really need it.

Bottles - Katie still had a bottle of milk at night up until she was about........... Blush shhhh.........4!!! Abbie still has milk in the morning and night and whenever she wants it during the day, she was 2 in January.

I don't there are any hard-fast rules and just go with what you feel comfortable with................mmmm, I don't think I have been of any help to you, have I?! :unsure:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
28-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Bottle and Dummies
Both of my boys were off theirs two months before they were 3. Jack knew that going to pre-school meant he was a big boy and he had to hand them to the teacher, which he did ceremonially (ceremoniously?).

They were both found throwing Tom's dummies out the bedroom window, going downstairs, opening the front door, retrieving them and then repeating the process.......... at 6.30 in the morning! I was asleep, the neighbour came and told me (great mother, eh!). From that day on, he didn't have any.

They were both given restricted access over a course of time, by using the usual diversion tactics. If they were walking around they didn't have it, until they were tired and grizzly and in the pushchair. From the age of about 2, when you can kind of bargain with them, they only had them at night or nap times (we used to give them about 15 at a time so they could reach out for them and not disturb their hard working parents).

In both cases we went for complete withdrawal because we figured if they knew they were around, they would constantly want them.

We had absolutely no problems with sleeping afterwards. I believe that by 3 any child is ready. Some are ready much before.

Is this any help Floops?
28-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Bottle and Dummies
It's all v helpful, keep em coming.

I'm not planning on taking Gigi's dummy away for a while yet, but a friend of mine is considering writing a children's book about a dummy fairy (much like the tooth fairy) and we were wondering how most people handled it.

[Image: 15_5_10.gif]

Bollox to potplants
28-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Bottle and Dummies
I am not going to be any help to you floops, I'm afraid as
  • All three of mine never had a dummy instead they use to suck their thumbs, which you can't take away!

Personally I would have thought she is a little young just to take it away totally, maybe only let her have it when she is going to bed to start with and then wean her off that when she is a little older!
  • I was a stay at home mum and breast fed all of them. I did use a feeder cup from the age of 6 months, so perhaps you could start to introduce one of those at meal times and see how she gets on. Once she has the hang of it then you could try to substitute the morning and night time bottles as well.

I think all children are different and you have to experiment and find what works with that particular child, because what works with one doesn't always work with another!

Good luck Big Grin
28-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Bottle and Dummies
Cockney refuses to breastfeed her though, no matter how many times I ask him. :wink_kiss

Bollox to potplants
28-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Bottle and Dummies
floopy Wrote:Cockney refuses to breastfeed her though, no matter how many times I ask him. :wink_kiss

I can't think why not! :laugh:
28-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Bottle and Dummies
floopy Wrote:Cockney refuses to breastfeed her though, no matter how many times I ask him. :wink_kiss

Typical man.
28-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Bottle and Dummies

I don't know, a simple request.........men huh?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bottle Bank Confessions.... Dolores 15 2,106 07-08-2005 09:37 AM
Last Post: Flyo
  Message in a bottle! Haydon_acc2 32 3,145 26-04-2005 10:44 PM
Last Post: Nox