Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bras
25-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Bras

Have any of you ladies every been properly measured for a bra?

I took lissy into Debenhams at Christmas and got her measured. All the lady did was look at her and tell her what size she thought she was. She got the tape measure out and just measured around her back and gave her some bras to try on. I didn't realise at the time they were underwired. (remember lissy is 13).

Today I took her back and she once again guessed her size and tried to sell me another underwired bra. I refused as I had heard that young girls shouldn't wear underwires. Has anyone else heard that? Anyway I took her to Marks and Spencer and what a difference. They measured here, there and everywhere and were very informative. The lady said that she should absolutely not wear an underwire bra in her developing years. I was very impressed with them and will definitely go back there again.

I didn't realise the importance of it until today and am planning to go get measured myself.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Bras
I never used to get measured, just used to kind of guess.

But I have been measured in M&S a few times now, and they are the best.
It's even better now that you can try them on.
I always find that their bra's fit me the best.

And you should always go and get measured regularly because your size does change, ie after weight loss, after weight gain(that's more me:w00tSmile after pregnancy and breast feeding.

so yeh, M&S the place to go.

[Image: 429.gif]
25-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Bras
I always get measured at Littlewoods - they are brilliant.

I haven't heard that girls shouldn't wear underwired when developing but I shall definately keep it in mind when I get Emma one - thanks tiggs

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
25-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Bras
jaycee Wrote:I always get measured at Littlewoods - they are brilliant.

I haven't heard that girls shouldn't wear underwired when developing but I shall definately keep it in mind when I get Emma one - thanks tiggs

Apparently it can damage breast tissue. I wonder if that goes for us *ahem* more mature ladies? :blink:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
25-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Bras
I hope not, I always wear underwired - I'd be tucking em in with me blouses otherwise! :w00t:

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
25-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Bras
I have never heard of that before either Tiggs, but it does make sense!

I normally get measured about one a year at M & S.
25-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Bras
jaycee Wrote:I hope not, I always wear underwired

Ditto :w00t: :w00t:
25-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Bras
tigger767 Wrote:Apparently it can damage breast tissue. I wonder if that goes for us *ahem* more mature ladies? :blink:

Yeh, they always advise when you are pregnant or breast feeding not to wear underwired bra's for the same reason.

Actually I could do with some being damaged, I've got enough as it is:w00t:

[Image: 429.gif]
25-07-2005, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2005 09:11 PM by karenh.)
Bras
I get measured every couple of years or so.

I am not a flat chested gal, so a properly fitting bra has always been quite important for me. Not only does wearing a properly fitting bra affect the way you look, but when you have tits the size of mine it can affect the way you feel too. It is important that the bra gives enough support, but also that it fits well across the shoulders and ribcage.

But the really great thing about these measuring services is that as well as telling you your bra size, they can also advise on which cut of bra is most suitable for your shape. Personally, I regard a womans bra as being similar to womens jeans: Just as not every cut of jeans will suit every womans shape, neither will every cut of bra suit every womans boobs.

Of course, flat chested women do not require support, but very few healthy adult women are truly flat chested (there is a difference between small busted and flat-chested) and as such will always need a measure of support. As do developing girls and it is well to educate developing girls into the habit of getting measured for their bra's. However, small chested woman do have the advantage that most bra cuts will suit their shape.

As to whether underwiring is unsuitable for young girls - I have definitely heard that! I think it is because their breasts are actually developing (as opposed to just growing e.g through weight gain). It is recommended that eleasticated and preferably breathable cotton bra's are best for developing girls.

I actually remember that from when I was gorwing some. Mum took me to a very posh shop to be measured for my first bra. Which is probably where I got my obsession for being properly measured!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
25-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Bras
I have never been measured and I need to go. I am very developed in that area, so to speak hehe. I always thought I was a DD but a few people told me I look more like a G. :ohmy: I do suffer with upper back, shoulder and neck pain and I am beginning to wonder if it's because I am carrying so much weight on my front. We weighed them one time and they weighed around a stone. :blink: If you wear a heavy rucksack on your back for a period of time it makes your back hurt, so it makes sense if you are carrying that weight around your front also.