Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breast-feeding
10-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Breast-feeding

I know we have had this debate before but it was highlighted again on This Morning and I just wanted people's views on this matter.

There were 3 mums on This Morning and all of them were breast-feeding their children who were 3+ and all intended to keep doing so until the child said no more. There were texts flying in left, right and centre saying that it was disgusting and that there should be a law banning it.........now, I wouldn't go that far but I do think that by age 3 a child should no longer be breast-feeding. I breast-fed both my girls, Katie was about 1 when I gave up with her and Abbie was about 20 months, but I was only ever feeding them in the house, morning and night. I have no objections to women breast-feeding in public, there are worse things they could do like smoke in front of them or feed them Turkey Twizzlers :shocking:. but I would feel uncomfortable if I was to see a 4 or 5 year old breast-feeding. I know it is deemed as natural but at that age, I think the mother is doing it more for her own needs than for the needs of the child.

What do you think about it?

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Breast-feeding
It seems to me that there are strong cultural pressures involved here. I remember reading about some African tribes in which the children were breastfed up until the age of five or six - and there were even "surrogates" who would breast feed other children than their own.

I don't think we can say that there is a right or wrong age at which to stop/continue, but I can say this: beyond say, 2, I find it very 'icky'! :laugh:

Oh - and breastfeeding in public is wrong wrong WRONG!!!

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
10-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Breast-feeding
Blink Wrote:It seems to me that there are strong cultural pressures involved here. I remember reading about some African tribes in which the children were breastfed up until the age of five or six - and there were even "surrogates" who would breast feed other children than their own.

I don't think we can say that there is a right or wrong age at which to stop/continue, but I can say this: beyond say, 2, I find it very 'icky'! :laugh:

Oh - and breastfeeding in public is wrong wrong WRONG!!!

What is wrong about breast-feeding in public Blink? I have done on many occassions and I would bet that hardly anyone noticed. There are far more "disgusting" sights round about, such as young girls wearing crop tops and have their big bellys hanging over there cropped jeans. They expose more flesh than any breast-feeding mother!

I agree that it is a culture thing as most Eastern countries breast-feeding is just the natural thing to do.

10-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Breast-feeding
I think that there is a point when children should give up breast feeding and that should definetly be before they get to school.

However I used to know a friend who breastfed her youngest until quite late. He was allergic to all milk accept breast so the doc suggested she keep feeding him as milk is good when they are developing.
Find all posts by this user
10-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Breast-feeding
Bella Wrote:What is wrong about breast-feeding in public Blink?
It involves breasts. I am a man. When I see a woman exposing her nipple (even if I can't see it, I know it's there), and offering that to a child it creates within me a huge conflict which almost makes my eyes melt.

Many of my male friends would very much rather not have ladies whipping their boobs out in public, unless that is they have a completely different activity in mind. I can only apologise for the latter comment, which of course applies to my friends, not to me.

:wacko:

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
10-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Breast-feeding
I don't have a problem with breast feeding in public as long as the mother is being discreet about it. It only becomes a problem I think when baby has pulled away from the nipple and the mum is carrying on with her nipple displayed to the world. Not very pleasant.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
10-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Breast-feeding
Blink Wrote:It involves breasts. I am a man. When I see a woman exposing her nipple (even if I can't see it, I know it's there), and offering that to a child it creates within me a huge conflict which almost makes my eyes melt.

Many of my male friends would very much rather not have ladies whipping their boobs out in public, unless that is they have a completely different activity in mind. I can only apologise for the latter comment, which of course applies to my friends, not to me.

:wacko:

The thing is though Blink, the nipple is not exposed, and as I have said in the majority of cases you probably wouldn't even know the baby was being fed.

There are probably more young girls whipping their breasts out on a Friday night after a few pints of snake-bites, but as you say a completely different activity in mind there though! :w00t:

10-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Breast-feeding
Whatever works for that particular mother and child is fine by me, and I have no problem with it happening in public, either.
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Breast-feeding
Anyone know where I can get a rusk..?
10-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Breast-feeding
dab Wrote:Anyone know where I can get a rusk..?

I used to nick them off my kids I loved them.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Breast is best.....but for how long? Voice of reason 19 1,685 25-08-2005 10:22 AM
Last Post: Andrea