Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Britain's youngest Mums and Dads
01-11-2004, 02:16 PM

Tonight (Monday) on ITV1 at 9pm
[/font]
I can see this being a hot topic tomorrow, in the media if nowhere else! A documentary about teenage parents, their take on preganacy, child-rearing and relationships.

[font=Arial]I'll give this one a go.
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2004, 02:32 PM
I read about this. Apparently one of the stories is of a 12 year old girl having a baby. It shows her now 17 with a 5 year old boy.
I think I may watch this too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Andrea Wrote:I read about this. Apparently one of the stories is of a 12 year old girl having a baby. It shows her now 17 with a 5 year old boy.
I think I may watch this too.

That is very frightening :shock:

I think I will watch it and video it in case it might be suitable for my boys to watch as a deterant...
01-11-2004, 04:58 PM
And there is also the girl who is 17 and had 3 children under 4 to 3 different fathers! :eek: She was on This Morning and at 14 she actually planned to get pregnant because she just wanted a baby! The second one was a result of a drunken one-night stand........and the third was from a guy she was in a relationship with but didn't think he could have kids. However he done the honourable thing when he found she was pregnant and left her!

I will be at my college course but maybe tape this programme. It has to be said there are probably some very good teenage mums and some absolute spongers! It is not something that I would have wanted to be, but I am sure as Voice says will make an interesting discussion tomorrow! Big Grin

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
02-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Well I did watch this and I don't think that it was as bad or as one sided as I thought it might be. On the whole I felt a bit sorry for these girls, none of them really had much in the way of parental guidance or support and most of their mothers had been young mothers themselves, there were no positive role models in their lives at all from what we saw.

I'm sure that some of the girls just confused love with sex and some just wanted a baby so that they had someone to love who would love them back. It made me sigh and shake my head, but it was more sad than anything else.
02-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I watched a bit of this last night, and felt much the same as Voice. The producers resisted the temptation to take a contraversial subject and make a sensational programme out of it, which I am glad about, because I think it presented a much more realistic view of what life is like for these teenagers and their children.

From what I saw, none of them came across as the stereotypical spongers that the Daily Mail often make teenagers mothers out to be, but they did come across as kids growing old before their time, existing, but not really living. None of them appeared to be "bad" mothers either - the ones I saw seemed to take motherhood quite seriously.

Overall, I thought it was quite sad though. Like Voice, it did seem as though these kids - and the "mistakes" they had made - were a product of their own upbringing. But often, it seemed to be the kids parents who were more upset about the unusually early parenting, than the kids themselves.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
02-11-2004, 06:47 PM
I watched this too and felt pretty much the same as the rest of you. I was pleased to see though that Britain's youngest father of twins (to give him the title he is often known by) appears to me coping very well and is still with the mother and they seem a really close family, the twins are five now and at school, dad works and mum is at university training to be a midwife they are now expecting another baby. Nice to see a positive outcome to this young family.

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
02-11-2004, 06:55 PM
I watched this too.

I thought the most moving part was when the "nanny" lady starting having a weep! It really touched me. She was so worried about how this girl who had no boundaries herself could ever bring up a child.

I did have to smile at the two teenage sisters with their babies, chuffing away on their fags in the bus shelter with two brand spanking new prams for their babies - you gotta be some kind of budgeting fiend to afford all that on social services! ....

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
02-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Dolores Wrote:I watched this too.

I thought the most moving part was when the "nanny" lady starting having a weep! It really touched me. She was so worried about how this girl who had no boundaries herself could ever bring up a child.

I did have to smile at the two teenage sisters with their babies, chuffing away on their fags in the bus shelter with two brand spanking new prams for their babies - you gotta be some kind of budgeting fiend to afford all that on social services! ....

I have it from a reliable source that the family draws £30,000 a year in benefits Dol Wink
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2005, 01:39 PM
secrets Wrote:I have it from a reliable source that the family draws £30,000 a year in benefits Dol Wink

Now thats so unfair! We only make a few grand over that and both work!

visit my forum : Stardust Forums
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Britain's Got Talent 2008 - Andrew Johnston Haydon_acc2 24 4,402 01-06-2008 11:09 AM
Last Post: PJ
  Britain's Got Talent 2008 - Scala Haydon_acc2 5 1,680 16-05-2008 03:00 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Girls, new series of Britain's next top model starts................. bridge 2 731 03-07-2006 06:09 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  The strangest village in Britain - anyone see this touching doc C4 9.00 last night? Crystal Lights 9 3,722 17-06-2005 03:21 PM
Last Post: Bella
  Fave Little Britain Character Crystal Lights 26 2,475 22-02-2005 11:29 PM
Last Post: ils
  Jump Britain Bob 10 1,907 09-01-2005 08:58 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Little Britain hogen_so_cute 50 3,786 04-01-2005 06:30 PM
Last Post: Buzz