Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryson
01-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Bryson

I know there are a few Bryson fans here, and it's them I'm turning to for help - there is something flummoxing me.

In one of his books (I'm sure it was one of his) he describes a town (I'm pretty sure un the USA) that was abandoned after an underground coal seam caught fire and noxious gases started filtering up into the air. He visited the place, it was a ghost town and even now (or at least when he saw it) it was still smouldering.

I have just re-read The Lost Continent, and it wasn't in that book (unless I had a brain dead moment and missed it completely) and for the life of me I can't think of any other of his books it would be in.

So - help me please! Does that passage ring a bell with anyone here, and can you put me out of my misery and tell me which book it's in.

Ta very much!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Bryson
oooo sf you know I am a huge fan of Bill Bryson, to my shame I have only read the two books he has written about the UK - so i can't help you at all!! But I hope someone can and may I be so bold as to ask why do you need to know this??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Bryson
Swerve! I have just thrown this by Mr Cat and he is sure it was a town in Pennsylvania. He can't recall the book, just it was the one about the USA?

I used to really enjoy his column in the Night and Day magazine, (comes with the Daily Mail :bag: ), but he stopped doing these a while ago.

I will read his books, maybe you could send them to me free of charge and we can then discuss further.
01-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Bryson
Cat, have you got The Da Vinci Code?
01-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Bryson
Patsy Wrote:Cat, have you got The Da Vinci Code?

Yep, read it months ago.
01-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Bryson
Flip Wrote:oooo sf you know I am a huge fan of Bill Bryson, to my shame I have only read the two books he has written about the UK - so i can't help you at all!! But I hope someone can and may I be so bold as to ask why do you need to know this??

Simply because it's bugging me. I know I read about it in one of his books, and now I've just reread the Lost Continent and it wasn't there, I am totally flummoxed where I could have read it. It's just one of those mysteries that will keep nagging at me until I have the answer!

01-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Bryson
Sf, I've just read "Notes from a Big Country" and I'm sure it's not in that one.

At a guess it sounds like it could be in his book "A short history of nearly everything"
That's my next one I want to read of his, so if I come across it before you find out, I shall let you know.

[Image: 429.gif]
01-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Bryson
Well done Mr Cat (who knew without googling)

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
02-09-2005, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2005 03:22 PM by survivorfan.)
Bryson
Fee For All Wrote:Well done Mr Cat (who knew without googling)

But he didn't know Fee. I've looked at the Pennsylvania bit of the Lost Continent and it's not there. Andrea - it wouldn't be A Short History Of ... because I haven't read it.

THOUGHT - maybe I've maligned Mr Cat. We lent and lost our original Lost Continent and ordered a reprint of it last month. i wonder if it was in the original book but for certain reasons I can't begin to understand has been edited out of recent editions?

Does anyone (Mr CAT)? have an earlier edition and could check?

EDIT

OK I've Googled it. Mr Cat was bang on. And the book was 'A Walk in the Woods'. I never thought it would have been that one as it was about hiking a trail, and apart from stopping off in a town or two for provisions I have no recollection of him visiting places off the trail.

here's a reader's comment that I googled:

The story follows them as they hike, through awful weather and confusing places. They make it to the Shenendoah area, and call it quits.(They really did good, even though they didn't completely hike it.) Katz decides to go home to the midwest, and Bryson takes a break for a while. He returns to the trail to hit it in certain places, like Harpers Ferry and Centralia, Pennsylvania. He has great descriptions of these two towns, and talks a lot about Centrailia. (Its a town that has coal burning underneath it, and most of the citizens left.) I have personally driven through Centrailia, and he describes it perfectly. It is a ghost town, and a great chapter in the book.

So Cat would you give Mr cat a big wet kiss from me please - on second thoughts make that a manly handshake.

02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Bryson
I posted the wrong link - sorry SF - it was supposed to be this one

Phew!! That could have been embarrasing :w00t: - at least it was related to the topic

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]