Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a new computer.
28-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Buying a new computer.

My PC is on borrowed time. I can stil use it but problems not going away so although I'll be using until until the very end, I thought I'd best make up my mind what I want to get so that I can be ready to buy the minute this packs up for good.
If anyone has really good PC knowledge I'd apprreciate any advice.
I'll probably go for a package as even though I have a perfectly good monitor I will treat myself to a flat one and get an all in one printer too.
Some things I don't understand.
Whats the difference between the processors?
AMD Athlon, AMD Sepron intel pentium, celron etc

I mainly use the pc for the internet and also store a lot of music and video clips. I'd like to be able to edit more video, so if anyone knows of good programme..
The one i have at the moment is useless in that I have nearly used up all the hard drive!
I want to be able to transfer files onto DVD,and also play DVD.
I occasionally download music and video so might be interested if I could do this faster.
Whats the difference between a DVD re-writer and a DVD copier?

If I bought a PC that did much more than I needed, then I'd just learn to do everything else, in order to get the most out of it! TV card would be good too so that I can watch TV and be on SO at the same time.
I have seen these two pc's on tiny website.

£599

£399
There is an opton to upgrade the monitor with the second one.
Too many to choose from.
If anyone could explain all about the different processors and memory I'll be very happy.
Smile

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Buying a new computer.
If timy is anything to do with Time don't go within a mile of it. Time is crap with a captial C!
29-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Buying a new computer.
ilovesurvivor Wrote:If timy is anything to do with Time don't go within a mile of it. Time is crap with a captial C!

I'll agree with that Ils Oh yes, bought our last computer from them and a year later had a letter from a debt collectors for non payment. We had paid up full.

This computer, as I knew what I wanted (Mr Cat never touches it), I went to a local shop run by a nice (if not a bit letchy) man and his son. I could probably have got a better deal else where but the after care is superb.
29-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Buying a new computer.
I got a new pc about 6 months ago ...it has changed my life! Whilst my other one was adequate it was Windows 95 and couldn't go broadband.

I got a DELL from Computers for Staff scheme at work. Whilst the pc is great I think i was diddled cos I got things Ididn't really want such as Control Kids and Command Anti Virus. I think you can download stuff for free which is just as good. having said that I am pleased with the pc but wish I'd done what a friend of mine did and went direct to Dell on the internet and bought one. I thought it was a good deal.

But then what I know about pc's you could put on the back of a stamp!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
29-04-2005, 08:42 AM
Buying a new computer.
We had that scheme where I work Dol, but it worked out more expensive than buying direct, so when I bought mine about 6 months ago I got it from PC World. I did consider a Dell as they are suppose to be very good but I in the end I ended up with a Packard Bell. I don't know how good they are suppose to be but I have to say it works a dream!
29-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Buying a new computer.
For what it's worth, here's my take on computers.

Intel Pentium and AMD Athlon are pretty much similar in speed.
Intel Celeron and AMD duron are also pretty much similar, but not as good as the Pentium and Athlon.

The £599 computer has a fast processor at 3400, but I think because it is a 64 processor I'm sure thats a very new one. This processor is better than the Celeron.

The £599 computer also has a better RAM than the other one, being double the speed than it, 512MB rather than 256MB.

You've got 200GB of hard disk on that first one which is huge, but the £399 also has 80GB which is big as well.

Both of them have go +/- DVD drives which is good because apparently there is a bit of a battle as to which format the DVD will eventually take + or -. A bit like VHS and Betamax was with the videos.

I suppose it really depends on how much you want to spend. Both computers sound really good.
I got mine from a local shop who built it to what I wanted. I have an AMD Athlon 2400 with 256 DDR and 40GB of hard drive, and its been great. Although recently I've been looking into getting a TFT monitor and found my graphics card is inbuilt so I would have to get a separate graphic card to use a TFT monitor.
I've had mine for about 18 months now and have still only used 10GB of the hard drive.

I don't know if any of that is of any use to you Bob.
Why don't you go to a computer shop or a computer fair, find out about the requirements you need, then buy from where ever.

[Image: 429.gif]
30-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Buying a new computer.
Bob don't get a Tiny computer - I have one and while it's working ok just now *fingers crossed* Ive had nowt but trouble with it!

I would go for a Dell one or something as thats what they seem to use in call centres/offices etc

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
30-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Buying a new computer.
Thanks guys.
Tiny do seem to have very good offers on at the moment, but I have heard very high praise from a lot of people about Del.
I think I need to get a book and work out whats what and what I need and then go shopping and talk to people.
I'm wondering wether to take out extra warranty, its an extra £200 (roughly) for three years but like a lot of things these days if they are going to go bust they do it it in the first year or much later on.
I feel such a plonker though as I was trying to find out how to fix my current pc and read that I should have a back up disc for windows 2000, well as this was second hand I ddin't get anything with it, then last night while asleep (do my best thinking while out of it!) I remembered that I had a disc that said windows 2000 on it, I though it was a copy of windows that the guy who put it into my pc had copied (the pc was originally ME).

I'm one of life's great horders, but last month in one of my more ruthless moments I ditched a load of useless discs that you get free and I decided to get rid of this win 2000 one as felt I'd never need it as i already had win 2000.
Doh! I now feel sure that this was my back up and possible answer to my hard drive problems.
I also forked out cash for a programme I downloaded from the net. Has anyone heard of errorGuard?
I got a message from that wizard thingy that appears every so often to tell me about updates.
It said I had 332 severe system threats on my pc, click here to download prgramm and remove, so I did but you have to pay to remove them, so I did and when I re- started my pc I still have problems.
I e mailed the company said it didn't work they told me to uninstall gave me new access codes and I re-installed, this time I had one severe system threat, it was from a pic I had opened the day before on a floppy A disc that wasn't even in the A drive anymore. I don't understand that at all. I get the feeling I might have been conned :wacko:
If I'm ever in the market for a new fella, he's got to be a pc wizard Blush

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
30-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Buying a new computer.
I really don't know much about pc's Bob, but I have been warned that ErrorGuard is a rip off, so I have never used it!
01-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Buying a new computer.
Thanks ILS!
I think I have been ripped off. I'm going to to and get my money back and lie through my teeth if I have to.
Anyone know why microsoft would recommend errorguard? :blink:
How did they know I had so many system threats, or was it all made up like the severe system threat which turned out to be a picture of me on a flopy disc! :laugh: Are they just common spyware :sick:
I'm a bit :angry: and on a mission to reload my purse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PJs Computer Problems revisted PJ 8 907 11-03-2005 12:21 PM
Last Post: Blink
  Computer help required! Dolores 4 631 21-01-2005 05:16 PM
Last Post: Môrph™