Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I just say....
07-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Can I just say....

[Soapbox]

I know it's a game show and all that, and that the HMs put themselves up for personal scrutiny, but I think it's really crappy to like or dislike a person based on their personal appearance.

Surely the housemates have got enough personality flaws to keep us occupied without us having to resort to name calling?

To like or dislike someone because they have large breasts/a big bum/strange hair/goofy teeth shows bigotry and ignorance IMO.

I feel much better now, thank you.

[/Soapbox]

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Can I just say....
floopy Wrote:[Soapbox]

I know it's a game show and all that, and that the HMs put themselves up for personal scrutiny, but I think it's really crappy to like or dislike a person based on their personal appearance.

Surely the housemates have got enough personality flaws to keep us occupied without us having to resort to name calling?

To like or dislike someone because they have large breasts/a big bum/strange hair/goofy teeth shows bigotry and ignorance IMO.

I feel much better now, thank you.

[/Soapbox]

HERE HERE Floppy. And on this line I would like to say that reason I like Roberto has absolutely nothing to do with the size of his lunch box.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Can I just say....
I agree, except for blondes, I'm allowed to dislike them right? :kid:

Gel x
07-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Can I just say....
*whispers*

there aren't any :bag:

Bollox to potplants
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Can I just say....
I agree with you completely, floops.
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Can I just say....
I am not sure I agree - I dislike Craig and lesley for example because they are lardy and unfit - they have baggy loose unhealthy bodies that scream sloth and poor diet - it may be how they were raised but they are grown ups now.

Maxwell is another example as is Vanessa - I may be a body Nazi but I am disliking aspects of them based on appearance. I also dislike Craig, Lesley and Vanessa because of their appaling accents and use of English - Science too - yi git mi?

Watching folk on telly for an hour a night over 11 or so weeks means that you have to form opinions quickly and with all things available so appearance is a key aspect. Obviously this does not translate into normal day to day life as much. However when I see someone who is very fat I think negative thoughts about them and many others do too - for example

What others think and say about you is none of your business. :ohmy:
07-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Can I just say....
I fail to see how being fit can make someone a nicer person.

Quote:I also dislike Craig, Lesley and Vanessa because of their appaling accents

Seriously? You would like or dislike someone based on the area in which they were brought up? Wow.

Quote:
Watching folk on telly for an hour a night over 11 or so weeks means that you have to form opinions quickly

How? If you have 11 x 7 (77) hours to make up your mind, where's the need for snap decisions? :photo:

Quote:However when I see someone who is very fat I think negative thoughts about them and many others do too

And does that make it okay?

Bollox to potplants
07-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Can I just say....
Healthy body healthy mind is more than just a saying. Being disciplined in your life leads to many advantages. Being happy with how you look is a huge plus on someones personality and a huge drain on the reverse.

On the accents thing I do make judgements based on that as it is a sure guide as to many things, not definative - but on hearing Lesley speak I was therefore not (for example) surprised to learn she has no concept of Cambridge.

07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Can I just say....
isleofweather Wrote:I may be a body Nazi but I am disliking aspects of them based on appearance...

Harvey - is that you?

I think it's unreasonable to dislike someone because of their level of fitness. Who cares? Seriously. I am a lot chubbier than I was due to having a baby and I don't chose to diet endlessly because there are more important things in life such as having fun with Bubs.

Not saying I wouldn't like to be a perfect size ten, but I'm not prepared to suffer too much for it. Enjoying yourself is far more important than being regimented and "disciplined". If I had no friends and no family then perhaps I'd have time for all sorts of discipline :naughty: but I prefer fun and spontaneity (sp?).

Gel x
07-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Can I just say....
Gelastic Wrote:I think it's unreasonable to dislike someone because of their level of fitness. Who cares? Not saying I wouldn't like to be a perfect size ten, but I'm not prepared to suffer too much for it. Enjoying yourself is far more important than being regimented and "disciplined". If I had no friends and no family then perhaps I'd have time for all sorts of discipline :naughty: but I prefer fun and spontaneity (sp?).

Remember this is BB6 we are discussing however. Taking women who have given birth about to give birth aside - the "I am very fat and happy debate is a bit wonky - few people who are fat and truthful would not give their left leg (no weight loss pun intended) to be their normal weight. There is also the aspect of eating good healthy food makes you feel good. If your diet consists of unhealthy proceessed foods your mental health suffers too - witness school children.

the reality is show 100 people 2 pics - one a fat person one not fat and then ask them some questions about both - what do you think would then unfold?

There is a huge diet industry but no weight gain industry - why?