Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you help me find this book?
17-12-2004, 02:14 PM

When I was nine I was off school with a broken leg for the last couple of weeks of the summmer term, and I missed the end of the brilliant story our class was reading together. At the time it didn't worry me too much, but over the years I've tried to find that book loads of times with no success. Thing is, I don't know its title. :blink: So I wondered if any of you recognise the plot and can remember what it's called.

It's about two boys, best friends at boarding school. One of them takes the other back home for the summer holidays and they have a great time for a while, adventuring all along the lonely shoreline on which the family's old house stands isolated. But then they start having vivid dreams about pirates and smugglers, and soon realise that they're sharing the same lucid dream.

The dreams are so real that they overtake everyday life. The friends find themselves on opposite sides in a war between pirates and locals. (If I remember rightly, it's the visiting boy who sides with the locals.) And, of course, there's buried gold somewhere on the beach that they race to locate in real life.

Well, that's it. Can anyone help me put a name to it so I can finish reading it? :unsure: Because I think my book report is a bit late... :sad:

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2004, 06:30 PM
It sounds like Swallows and Amazons - but it is not!! It is a bit Enid Blyton - but I thought I had read all of hers and it isn't one of them [that I remember].

Dab it may help if you revelaed how long ago this was?? Was it in the genre of Enid Blyton's Famous Five, or Secret Seven?? OR was it more recent?

I am not sure if I will ever know - but it may just push some buttons of similar aged people!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks, Flip. If I'm right about my age it was 1966, but it might have been a year either way and it could have been published well before that, of course. Yes, it was during the Famous Five/Secret Seven era - I read all of them and Mr Galliano's Circus and the Magic Faraway Tree until they fell to bits and had to be taped back together... oh, the memories :bye: - but I think the thing that so impressed me at the time was that this was a lot darker than Enid Blyton's books.
17-12-2004, 10:13 PM
I did read a book a bit like that called "Treasure Island" when I was small, but I can't remember enough to know whether it was the same thing, sorry...
18-12-2004, 07:33 PM
dont know your book dab!! but i too have a book that was once read to me by a teacher at schoo but we never did finish it! it was called David. and it was about a homeless/parentless boy and the stuff he did. would really like to read it again and find out the ending and so i can understand it better this time round!

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I challenge you to find.... floopy 22 3,050 05-06-2008 07:31 PM
Last Post: Rob
  My book is here! Blink 56 15,982 14-11-2006 07:48 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  How to find a Church? Minklemar 13 1,582 11-10-2005 07:24 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Celebrities You Find Irritating - and why..... Pandora 34 2,453 26-09-2005 04:30 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  A book for you dab 19 1,918 15-06-2005 01:06 PM
Last Post: dab
  My Book, free, if the link works!? Marmoset 7 1,234 01-05-2005 11:38 PM
Last Post: Marmoset