Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centre Parcs....discuss.....`
08-08-2005, 05:27 PM

Just back from a weekend at Elevden, Thetford. It's not my first visit, spent a christmas there about 6 years ago but caught flu on boxing day and spent the remaining time in bed..and have been on a couple of corporate days as its only an hours drive from here.

Its an odd place really when you analyse.

For those who have never been to one before the parcs in all set in lovely surroundings - Elveden is in a forest, everywhere you walk is within the forest and very pretty. The accomodation is top quality, all mod cons, very comfortable, stylish and each patio looks out onto its own view of the forest. Very cleverly each villa is designed so it isn't over looked by your neighbours. Once you have unpacked your car is parked in a carpark just off site and you then either walk round or hire a bike.

However - once you enter the 'Village' you are greated with families of all ages and sizes all clad in sports gear, bouncing around with raquettes of varying sports in hand. The sports hall and pool are open till 10pm and this seems too soon for a lot of the die hards! There are a good selection of eateries - don't bother getting changed as people eat in their sports gear.

I did enjoy the weekend and we had a good laugh, but I did find a certain snobbery there...on saturday night I made an effort and showered and changed out of sporty stuff and was sat at a bar with trendy trousers and dangly jewelery (Bella) and held the gaze of the pink cheeked ladies in their new sports gear and unscuffed trainers.....for I knew that I was up at 6.30 sprinting 4 miles round the park with Bazeeeeeeeeeeel and would be again the following morning after my 4 pints and the best part of a bottle of wine.

I remembered from before too that it is one of the most uncomunicative/ cliquey places I have been too.....I don't think I talked to one other person during the whole stay - which is VERY unusual for me.

HOWEVER....for kids - especially hard to please boys it is brilliant and you do feel so safe and secure there.

Anyone else been?

Lets have a heated debate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Cat, I have just asked after you about your hols on another thread...how spooky?!!!

Glad to hear my jewellery is getting around! Smile

btw - Mr B's dad was from Thetford!!

Center Parcs was our first holiday we went on as a family, oh let's see about 6 years ago. Katie was 18 months and Abbie was a twinkle in her father's eye. We went to the Sherwood Forest one and I felt it was pretty much, in the words of the Eagles song "You can check-out but you can never leave"! We did leave the camp one day, to go to Macclesfield as some horrible person stole Katie's Winnie The Pooh sandals and we went there to get some more! We didn't get sandals but we did get a £25 parking ticket! Charming eh?

We didn't opt for the sporty stuff but hired the bikes and cycled most of the time even though it rained every single day!

I found on the whole that it was really expensive to go there in the first place, expensive to eat out though the supermarket was reasonably priced and all the add-on extras, if you done them all cost an absolute fortune. Mr B did treat me to an afternoon in the Spa whilst he baby-sat and it was wonderful, it was just lovely!

I have also been to the one in the Lake District and didn't find this as nice as the Sherwood Forest one, but that was before it was taken over by Center Parcs so it may have been upgraded since then. It was a lot smaller and was in need of a make-over.

I think if I was ever to go back it would be with a group of people.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
08-08-2005, 05:41 PM
We have said if we go back it will be with other people...having Freddie just restricts you, I am going to suggest to my brother (him of new puppy but no children) to go. I would love pelting round the forest on the bikes with him and running with him every morning...thrashing everyone at babminton then being the only ones getting hammered at the bar.
08-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Cat Wrote:We have said if we go back it will be with other people...having Freddie just restricts you, I am going to suggest to my brother (him of new puppy but no children) to go. I would love pelting round the forest on the bikes with him and running with him every morning...thrashing everyone at babminton then being the only ones getting hammered at the bar.

Oh, we would join you in getting hammered at the bar Cat, so you won't feel left out of course, as it's not usually the sort of thing we do!!! :w00t: :ninja:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
08-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I've not been to Centre parcs myself. Its more of a "family place".

Having said that, my sister and her husband, plus two of their mates (both couple childless) have been and thought it was fab and my sister is the most un-sporty person you could ever meet.

Anyway, this contribution is rubbish. I ain't been and despite the fact that my sister liked it, she didn't manage to persuade me that it was worth a visit. I did look into once for a sort of quick break, but actually, for what it is is isn't that cheap! Its definitely more geared towards families and if you don't have kids, there are lots of other, btter alternatives for the same price. I think we went to Florence instead. :ninja:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Given a choice I would have chosen Florence.
08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
it sounds quite weird and wonderful Cat! were you allowed to take Bazeel?

my son is going to the Longleat one in October with our neighbours and their son.
I've always thought it was quite pricey and this has put me off getting a brochure ... now I'm put off by all the sporting activities!

Were the bars expensive to drink in? or did you smuggle your own in? would it be frowned upon to smuggle your own in? did people get p!ssed and sing outrageous karokee at the end of the evening? (I mean people, not just you Cat!)

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
08-08-2005, 05:55 PM
I have never been as it has never appealed to me. The thought of people prancing around in their sports gear until the late evening is just not my thing.

I would much rather go to Butlins, Haven, Pontins etc for a family holiday. I have always found they have plenty of sporting activities for the children to do as well as entertainment in the evening!
08-08-2005, 06:32 PM
This is a bit of a sore point with me because earlier this year Mr. C announced to me that he and his brothers and their mate were going to the Sherwood Forest Centre Parc for a "flying" weekend. Oooh goody, I thought. I will take advantage of the pool and facilities while he goes and does his thang! But no!!

The rub was that they had got a cheap apartment just for them, through someone who works there. No, I didn't want to sleep with 5 snoring, farting men (not that they asked me anyway).

They only used it as a base so didn't use or need the facilities, or even make a note of them. I was treated to a tale and video of the family of ducklings that would come waddling up to the patio every day, though, just to rub salt in the wound. It looked very nice.

Anyway, a bit off topic because no, I haven't been there, but I would have liked to go (probably, but now I'm not so sure Wink )

The Ducklings Sweet aren't they :glare:
08-08-2005, 06:35 PM
I love Centre Parcs and been loads of times. We always go either fisrt week December or Last week Jan/first week Feb. It is cheaper and less crowded and brilliant. We have been going for about 16 years now. and have only missed one or two years out.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Discuss: all men are b*****ds! Dolores 7 905 22-04-2005 05:48 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Discuss the Masked Ballers!! Ceridwen 33 2,391 04-01-2005 12:46 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen
  Our very own Ebay centre - sell your stuff here! Dolores 25 2,225 11-11-2004 08:47 PM
Last Post: floopy