Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
12-08-2005, 02:05 PM

I'm not even sure if this is out in the UK yet - is it?
I went to see this [show off mode] in the Chinese theatre in Hollywood [/show off mode].
It's an excellent movie - Johnny Depp is brilliant as Willy Wonka. This new remake also seems to stick closer to the book than its original predecessor.
However I still can't make up my mind whether I like this one better than the original. Granted this one has better special effects etc, the original movie will always have that magic that I loved when I watched it as a wee boy.
Oh and I didn't like the oompa loompas in this one.

Still, it's a great film and I urge you to go and see it!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Did you know that there was only one oompa loompa and it was digitially enhanced with computer graphics to show loads of them!

ooh, it was a million times better than the first one, and have to say again Johnny Depp was brilliant in it. The kids were great in it too, unlike the child actors in Harry Potter who are just dreadful. I think I liked it better because it did stick to the original story apart from having flashbacks to Willie Wonka as a child, which I quite liked!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
12-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes..yer man who played the oooompa loooooooooooompa is from Kenya or somewhere exotic like that.He was brill, as oomp loompa's go.
I would'nt be a fan of theirs but he was great.
I like the original film the best:Johnny Depp was fantastic in this, of course, coz he's brill always. Did'nt like the make up tho'.
But I just think there was an air of natural weirdness about the original which this one lacks slightly.
Thoroughly enjoyed it tho'.
Tasty!

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
I have to say I am so undecided about whether to go and see this. I love the original and I don't want to spoil it. So I don't know what to do. My boys love the original film too (cos thats all they've seen).

I know - I shall go and see the Fantastic Four first.....
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
My kids have seen both, Buzzybeeeeeeeeeee. They loved the Fantastic Four. But they are totally different films. We saw C&TCF today and they really liked it, but it didn't have the wow factor for them, mainly I think because of their ages.

I thought it was really good, as good as the first, but different. Johnny Depp was fantastic and I thought the Oompa Loompa guy was great. Reminded me of Thing One and Thing Two in The Cat in the Hat.

The first one will always be special and "re-makes" are always touch and go, but I thought this one worked really well.
12-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Right. I think once we have seen the fantastic four, I shall take them to see this new Charlie film....
21-08-2005, 08:43 PM
My sister dragged me along to see the new "Charlie" and I was amused to note the entire cinema was filled with adults - not a child in sight! (OK, it was the later session )
I do like Johnny Depp, and he made a credible Willy Wonka, but I agree that the first film was more magical somehow.
Better special effects in the new version, but then there is no excuse not to be better these days.

I will give it 7/10 I think.

Old enough to know better... :whistling
22-08-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm going to go and see this last weekend. I love the original film, although I didn't think the actor who played Charlie was suited to the role.

I got the X-Box game for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the weekend and that kept me occupied for a few hours....although it's more of a kids game.
22-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Saw this last week and loved it. I think Depp makes for a somewhat disturbing Wonka - edgy and sarcastic.

Visually the movie was a treat.

No need to compare it to the first - two directors, two interpretations.

I'd splash out a 10/10 on this one.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
22-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh poo! It's not been released in New Zealand yet and I really want to see this :mad2: