Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chat Room
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Chat Room

I haven't been using the chat room here, but have been thinking of doing so. The thing is, I have been put off because I have heard 'on the grapevine' that somebody has mentioned that they are in the habit of copying and saving everything that is said there. Now call me old fashioned, but that's a bit like going for a drink and a chat with your mates and someone secretly tape recording every little word you say.

So what I wanted to ask is - is it Haydon or the moderators who are recording everything that's said there, if so why?

Shouldn't it be a place where people are free to say what they like without being eavesdropped on?

I sincerely hope I have got this wrong, but if it's true, what a peculiar thing to be happening.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Chat Room
I've never heard of that Swerve and if that is so it's pretty underhand.

Wouldn't put me off though as if I'm worried about saying something I don't say it.

What did you want to say that is so top secret then :naughty:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Chat Room
well someone told me about things that go on in chat and this was from a person who admited to never going in there. ....so I think it's more a case of those in chat "sharing" private conversations, or at the very least conversations that those in chat thought wouldn't be repeated verbatim.

why anyone would want to copy and hoard the drunken ramblings that take place in there is beyond me .... of course I dont include my own drunken ramblings ... they are priceless snippets!

I haven't been in chat for ages, but let us know when you are popping in SF and I will thrash you in the quiz!!! (unless Floopy or Patsy are in there!)

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
12-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Chat Room
survivorfan Wrote:I haven't been using the chat room here, but have been thinking of doing so. The thing is, I have been put off because I have heard 'on the grapevine' that somebody has mentioned that they are in the habit of copying and saving everything that is said there. Now call me old fashioned, but that's a bit like going for a drink and a chat with your mates and someone secretly tape recording every little word you say.

So what I wanted to ask is - is it Haydon or the moderators who are recording everything that's said there, if so why?

Shouldn't it be a place where people are free to say what they like without being eavesdropped on?

I sincerely hope I have got this wrong, but if it's true, what a peculiar thing to be happening.

who told you this and who does it? or am I whistling in the wind expecting an answer to either?!

For a more detailed answer I would contact Haydon direct. ALthough Ithink "chat" is a kind of separate programme to the messageboard.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Chat Room
Dolores Wrote:I haven't been in chat for ages, but let us know when you are popping in SF and I will thrash you in the quiz!!! (unless Floopy or Patsy are in there!)

I take huge umbridge at this comment Dolores, I am a fierce quiz competitor.
12-08-2005, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2005 03:46 PM by survivorfan.)
Chat Room
Dolores Wrote:who told you this and who does it?

I have found from one particularly unfortunate experience that it never does to divulge one's sources!

I don't know who does it, it's someone who uses the MB, either a Mod or a normal member.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
12-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Chat Room
Well I think if someone is sad enough to do that then that is their problem.
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Chat Room
survivorfan Wrote:I have found from one particularly unfortunate experience that it never does to divulge one's sources!

I don't know who does it, it's someone who uses the MB, either a Mod or a normal member.

Can I make it quite clear that as a Moderator, I can truthfully say that none of the Mods are involved in recording anything that is said in the Chatroom.

If you are certain that this recording is indeed being done, then I will have a word with Haydon and the other Moderators about this, as, speaking for myself, I dont wish to be thought of as someone that copies and saves chatroom conversations. Sorry, but I think its weird and frankly Ive better things to do with my time.
12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Chat Room
I was told it was recorded too. Which is why there is a "private" chat facility when you're in there. I know there is a guardian of the chatroom that can see everything and everyone. A bit like an omnipresent Cerberus (no offense).

Cat Wrote:I take huge umbridge at this comment Dolores, I am a fierce quiz competitor.

Fierce, yes. Successful, no. Highly entertaining, definitely. :thumbsup:
12-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Chat Room
as I understand it, anything said in the chat room is only viewable to those people logged in at the time - I hope that's the case anyway.

You can have a private chat with one other person, and I think that chat is totally between the two participants.

I'm strangely intrigued by what it is you have to say though SF :w00t:

Bollox to potplants

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Chat Room Dolores 2 383 25-11-2005 07:19 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Chat Room Pandora 15 1,234 26-04-2005 01:49 PM
Last Post: ils