Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chatty Colleague
17-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Chatty Colleague

Any advice boarders can give me would be appreciated. I work with a collegue who sits right opposite me. She is a lovely woman, very willing and helpful but she chatters non stop and not only am I finding it intensely irritating, I have made a few mistakes where she distracts me. Dont get me wrong, I like a bit of a chat myself but sometimes I can get quite busy and my boss will ring me up and say can you do this this and this and as soon as I put the phone down she is yabbering away again. I have tried being abrupt with her, answering in monosyllables, saying I have to get things done, which shuts her up for about 5 minutes and then she is off again. I dont want to complain about her or even upset her, but its driving me round the bend. HELP!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Chatty Colleague
Personally, I would tell her in no uncertain terms that you have things to do and she is distracting you. You don't have to be rude about it - just firm. Just tell her that you're really busy and need to concentrate and that her talking is stopping you from doing that. If you like her generally, maybe you could also suggest grabbing a sandwich and a chat at lunch together if you want to make it clear that there is no offence intended.

If you don't feel that you can be that direct, is there no way you can go to a different area of the office when you need to get away from this woman and get your head down?
17-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Chatty Colleague
Difficult one - could you perhaps say that your boss has had a quiet word with you about a couple of mistakes you have made and say that you really need to be ablet o concentrate? I know it's not direct but it can be hard to be direct with someone you have to face everyday.
18-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Chatty Colleague
Is she like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEf9_IJs6...re=related

Or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsEvyoLt...re=related

Careful though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3Vdffgs...re=related

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
18-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Chatty Colleague
I know how you feel, as i have a similar problem. Luckily for me though, my colleague only works three half days a week.

I have a busy job, and my work load can be intense. My colleague is the appointment booker, and when the bosses arent around, she thinks its a good excuse to do nothing .... and to chat the day away. Unfortunately i cant do that. When the bosses arent around, I tend to be busier as i have to run the office.

Like you though, i havent really said anything. I just say "yeah" and "no" in (I think) all the right places, and keep trying to concentrate.

With my job, Im dealing with peoples money .... and i cant afford to make a mistake.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Chatty Colleague
I agree with Figs entirely, you can be assertive without being rude. How about saying that you really admire the way she can multi-task, but it's not something you can do. That you really enjoy your chats with her, but you really need some peace and quiet to be able to get on with your work.

Set aside a coffee break time when you and she have a 10 minute break and you can catch up then, so if she starts wittering on at other times, just say "can we save it till coffee break, then I can give you my full attention, cos I'm really interested, but I screw up my work if I try to do two things at once"?

Or get an I-pod and drown the old bag out :pimp:

Bollox to potplants
18-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Chatty Colleague
maybe it's because I don't have co-workers, but I'd tell her to shut up.

she's the one being rude.

bam bam
19-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Chatty Colleague
Just tell her to STFU!

HTH.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
19-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Chatty Colleague
I've had this problem too. No one loves a good gossip more than I do. But I do like to concentrate when I am doing something and the sound of a person droning on at ten to the dozen can put me off a bit.

I like the sudden Basil Fawltyian hand clap, together with a "right, I must get on" technique.

Failing that, I am afraid it's WILL YOU JUST SHUT YOUR EFFING NON STOP PRATTLE YOU ARE DRIVING ME NUTS.

That one usually does the trick.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user