Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children & "optional" surgery
12-10-2007, 06:00 AM

A little girl got on the bus the other day and when I first looked at her I thought she had some burn scars on her nose. When she sat down in front of me I realised she actually had a series of very pronounced moles or warts, I'm not sure what, on her nose that from afar looked like a deep red mark. She was about 9 or 10 years old, almost ready for secondary school and I couldn't help but wonder if she would get teased about them.

I started thinking then that if she was my child, would I have got them removed, assuming that was possible? I felt almost ashamed for thinking that I probably would risk my child's life with surgery to allow her to fit in with this appearance obsessed society we live in. I can't quite work out if that would be selfish or not, because honestly she'd probably have an easier life if she didn't have these things on her face. On the other hand these things won't be affecting her health but an anaesthetic could kill her.

What would you do in that situation? Would you judge parents who decided to go with surgery, or ones who wouldn't?

For the purposes of the debate I was assuming they were permanent and not life-threatening. Naturally I don't know.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the fact that you noticed this girl's disfiguration says it all - people do notice these things and you can bet that children especially will not hold back on commenting on it.

Corrective surgery is cheap and effective and if a child feels self-conscious through something that can be easily fixed, then why not have it done?

The risk associated with surgery is up to the individual to weigh up, but with something like the case you mentioned I'd have thought it would be extremely low.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Seeing the escalation of bullying in recent years I would certainly consider non-intrusive surgery with a local anaesthetic if it was an extreme and treatable case.

not much difference between that and corrective eye surgery to lose the glasses and endontics to correct unsightly teeth.

bam bam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How many children should the state support? Northern angel 9 1,216 17-03-2006 09:55 PM
Last Post: Rob
  Women & Children First.......or should it? Bella 10 1,628 07-09-2005 07:03 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Fat Children = child abuse? isleofweather 19 2,294 20-08-2005 05:12 PM
Last Post: karenh
  Designer children maxine 15 2,130 18-08-2005 01:40 PM
Last Post: Buzz