Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chimneys
22-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Chimneys

Advice is needed from anyone who knows anything about chimneys.

I dont know if i posted about it on here, but Mr.B has opened up the fireplace in our lounge. We expected (going from the previous owners description) to find a fire grate already there, but alas we just found a large hole .... along with about 5 dead birds and a nest.

The fire is now completely open, and we need to buy a fire grate to burn logs ... we wont be burning coal. It will be a totally open, toast marshmellows kinda fire without a flue (is that the right word :unsure: ).

Anyway - the chimney. I dont know what to do. Most people around here have open fires, and a few have told me that we dont need to get the chimney lined as it really isnt necessary. I also said i wanted to get a professional chimney sweep in, to do it properly as its been boarded up for 11 years, but again they reacon we should a DIY job, as if we get in the professionals they will insist of putting a smoke bomb up it, and getting it lined (we can really afford to have it lined as it costs about £1,000). BUT i dont want to cause a fire, so if thats what needed i will have to save my pennies.

But what do you guys think. Anyone else here have an open fire ? It was used regularly upto 11 years ago, so will it still be ok ? Can we do a DIY job - does anyone else have their chimneys lined ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Chimneys
I have two open fires, both of which had been boarded up for years.

The chimney sweep I got in (a good old-fashioned one) swept them and said one would be better if it was lined, but unless I was using it all the time as a primary source of heat, it would probably be OK.

I'd get a sweep in and take his advice. At the end of the day, you don't have to take it, but if he categorically says they are dangerous, you can weigh up the balance between toasted marshmallows or setting your house on fire.

Alternatively you could have wood-burning stoves with a flue running up the existing chimney.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
22-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Chimneys
Bonnie we have had an open fire in the past and have never had the chimney lined, like Fee we always used a traditional chimney sweep and never had any problems. Since then we have had log burners installed in all of the houses we have lived in and had our latest one fitted here in New Zealand 2 weeks ago. We went for an open flue this time so it actually runs up through the ceiling, we get as much heat off the flue as we do the fire!

I'd take Fee's advice, you don't have to act on what the sweep says but at least you will know the chimney is safe Smile
22-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Chimneys
Yep your both right. I have located a local sweep and ill try and book him in this week.

Ta :wink_kiss

22-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Chimneys
Yup Bonnie - get a sweeps advice. We have had both types over years and various houses. We had a lined chimney flue put in for our wood burning stoves, which are in effect open fires - although you can close the door.

But with the open 'normal fires' the chimneys were unlined but both always regularly swept.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

22-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Chimneys
Well i called the sweep and he charges £32 which didnt sound too bad to me. The only trouble is he cant come until the 15th sept, which is a bummer as he is sweeping 50 chimneys a week right now as everyone gets them done ready for autumn.

But he is booked, and i wont light a fire until he comes. This thursday im hoping to get the grate and hearth, so we might be able to rig it up soon after he leaves.

22-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Chimneys
Flip Wrote:Yup Bonnie - get sweeps advice.

Nah, I reckon Sooty would be better :ninja:

Actually we have a log burner, and I don't think ours is lined. The tube from the burner just goes up into the chimney cavity.
We have a sweep come once or twice a year, and he cost about £30.

[Image: 429.gif]
23-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Chimneys
Andrea Wrote:Nah, I reckon Sooty would be better :ninja:

There is your coat missus, and take these coats whilst your at it - :laugh:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

23-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Chimneys
[QUOTE=Andrea]Actually we have a log burner, and I don't think ours is lined. The tube from the burner just goes up into the chimney cavity.[quote]

We arent having the tube, just a totally open fire. But it will be good to have the sweeps advice and see what he says.

12-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Chimneys
Seeing as im on a roll with posting my photos, thought i would share the fireplace Mr.B built.

The pictures arent brilliant, but they are the best i can do !!

[Image: CIMG0197.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0198.jpg]

You also need to lie down to view them properly :unsure: